10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2006 9:04 AM by Newsgroup_User

array question

calmchess333 Level 1
      hi I have an array stored in a remote shared object except i don't know how to get the array out of the remote shared object and use it. How do i get the array and use it?.....what causes access.text = SO.data.slot0.array0[0]; ........ to fail and display undefined?

• 1. Re: array question
          Zal Level 1
          SharedObject.getRemote ?
          Isn't by definition a SharedObject can only get local stuff?
          I'm not very used with an NetConnection object, but I can tell you SharedObject only have a getLocal method.
          • 2. Re: array question
            calmchess333 Level 1
            well Zal my friend you know nothing about flash communication server
            • 3. Re: array question
              Level 7
              Zal,

> SharedObject.getRemote ?

There's no such method, as you pointed out. The complete list of
              methods available to a SharedObject instance is shown in the SharedObject
              class of the ActionScript 2.0 Language Reference.

> Isn't by definition a SharedObject can only get local stuff?

Sure. But as soon as someone else visits your site and interacts with
              the SWF, the SharedObject instance can save data to *that* computer, which
              is remote as far as you're concerned. This probably just plays semantics,
              but that's how I understood the OP's first post.

I continually amazed how often people use code that isn't in the
              ActionScript 2.0 Language Reference (such as that call to getRemote()) ...
              it's so easy to look this stuff up!

David Stiller
              Adobe Community Expert
              Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
              "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 4. Re: array question
                calmchess333 Level 1
                no ....remote shared object is stored on the flash communication server .....local shared object is stored on users harddrive..
                • 5. Re: array question
                  calmchess333 Level 1
                  anyway forget about it.

I fixed it I fixed it.........for some reason 1 slot of the stored array was in ....SO.data.slot[0]....and the other slot of the stored array was in SO.data.slot[1].....i'm a little baffled so i'll just call this unkown work around.
                  • 6. Re: array question
                    Level 7
                    Hi,

getRemote() _does_ exist.
                    I just started fooling around with some FMS experiments and the FMS
                    documentation: flashmediaserver_cs_asd.pdf states on p. 127:

SharedObject.getRemote()
                    Availibility
                    Flash Player 6.
                    Flash Communication Server MX 1.0.

I was kind of surprised (and double checked) too that the 'offline' docs
                    don't mention it at all while it's a recognized method inc. colorcoding
                    and all...

Kind regards,
                    Manno

David Stiller wrote:
                    > Zal,
                    >
                    >> SharedObject.getRemote ?
                    >
                    > There's no such method, as you pointed out. The complete list of
                    > methods available to a SharedObject instance is shown in the SharedObject
                    > class of the ActionScript 2.0 Language Reference.
                    >
                    >> Isn't by definition a SharedObject can only get local stuff?
                    >
                    > Sure. But as soon as someone else visits your site and interacts with
                    > the SWF, the SharedObject instance can save data to *that* computer, which
                    > is remote as far as you're concerned. This probably just plays semantics,
                    > but that's how I understood the OP's first post.
                    >
                    > I continually amazed how often people use code that isn't in the
                    > ActionScript 2.0 Language Reference (such as that call to getRemote()) ...
                    > it's so easy to look this stuff up!
                    >
                    >
                    > David Stiller
                    > Adobe Community Expert
                    > Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
                    > "Luck is the residue of good design."
                    >
                    >

--
                    ----------
                    Manno Bult
                    manno@xs4all.nl
                    • 7. Re: array question
                      Rothrock Level 5
                      This is a Flash Actionscript forum. There is a Flash Media Server forum where you will probably get more answers regarding your specific FMS needs.

If you must post FMS questions here it might be a good idea to start out with that. Otherwise you will often get the "There is no method with that name." reply – since in Flash there is no such method!
                      • 8. Re: array question
                        Level 7
                        Manno,

> getRemote() _does_ exist.
                        > I just started fooling around with some FMS experiments
                        > and the FMS documentation:

It exists when you're dealing with Flash Media Server, sure. ;)

> I was kind of surprised (and double checked) too that
                        > the 'offline' docs don't mention it at all while it's a recognized
                        > method inc. colorcoding and all...

I guess it depends on where you look. The online (LiveDocs) version of
                        the Flash 8 ActionSript 2.0 Language Reference makes no mention of this
                        method, because it isn't a core feature of ActionScript 2.0.

David Stiller
                        Adobe Community Expert

• 9. Re: array question
                          Level 7
                          Hi David,

Sure, it's pretty useless without FMS, but it would just not have been
                          my choice to leave it out of the documentation. I find it kind of
                          annoying to read two references for one and the same development
                          environment. (wishlist!)

Feels to me like: "you're probably not gonna use it so we won't bother
                          you with it"

It's not that you need to install extra stuff to be able to use the code.

Oh well... I'll just switch between Flash help and a PDF (read the
                          cynical undertone ;)

kind regards,
                          Manno

David Stiller wrote:
                          > Manno,
                          >
                          >> getRemote() _does_ exist.
                          >> I just started fooling around with some FMS experiments
                          >> and the FMS documentation:
                          >
                          > It exists when you're dealing with Flash Media Server, sure. ;)
                          >
                          >> I was kind of surprised (and double checked) too that
                          >> the 'offline' docs don't mention it at all while it's a recognized
                          >> method inc. colorcoding and all...
                          >
                          > I guess it depends on where you look. The online (LiveDocs) version of
                          > the Flash 8 ActionSript 2.0 Language Reference makes no mention of this
                          > method, because it isn't a core feature of ActionScript 2.0.
                          >
                          >
                          > David Stiller
                          > Adobe Community Expert
                          > Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
                          > "Luck is the residue of good design."
                          >
                          >

--
                          ----------
                          Manno Bult
                          manno@xs4all.nl
                          • 10. Re: array question
                            Level 7
                            Manno,

> Sure, it's pretty useless without FMS, but it would
                            > just not have been my choice to leave it out of the
                            > documentation.

I guess I can see where you're coming from -- but honestly, without
                            Flash Media Server, how would it be helpful to someone studying
                            ActionScript? It might only confuse!

> I find it kind of annoying to read two references for
                            > one and the same development environment. (wishlist!)

It's all one development environment, but potentially several APIs. I
                            think that's what makes the difference. But I year ya. ;) There are a few
                            things I'd like to see changed in the documentation. Generally speaking,
                            though, it does get better each release IMO. Have you seen the ActionScript
                            3.0 Language Reference?

> Feels to me like: "you're probably not gonna use it so
                            > we won't bother you with it"

Exactly ... unless you have FMS.

> It's not that you need to install extra stuff to be able
                            > to use the code.

You need Flash Media Server, right? (I'm not trying to be cute or
                            cheeky: this is honestly my understanding. Please let me know if I've
                            missed something!)

David Stiller
                            Adobe Community Expert