5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2006 1:14 PM by Newsgroup_User

Flash 8 vs. FLash MX 2004

JFly
      This is a Flash 8 vs. Flash MX 2004 issue...

Anyone else noticing a difference saving files over a network from Flash 8. I have never had a problem with Flash MX 2004 saving over a network, but now saving a 14 MB flash file to a Mac OS X Server is taking up to 2 minutes over AFP!! Server is a Sawtooth G4 running Jaguar Server 10.2.8 - long in the tooth I know!

An odd thing about this is that my first save will take 15 seconds, my second about 2 minutes, the third around 15 seconds, the fourth around 2 minutes and so on... A "Save as" will take about 40 seconds consistently.

That is:
      0:15 - 1st save
      2:00 - 2nd save
      0:15 - 3rd save
      1:56 - 4th save

Again that is using AFP, but even using SMB I notice this alternate short/long save time. Using SMB a "Save as" takes 16 seconds on the same 14 MB file. Then the first save will take 3 seconds and the second about 13 seconds, the third save will take 3 seconds the fourth save will take 14 seconds etc...

Now this looks like a good case for using SMB over AFP (but that is a topic for another forum). However, it is clearly a Flash 8 vs. Flash MX 2004 issue. When I go back to using Flash MX 2004 saves pretty consistently take about 2-3 seconds and "Save As" takes about 10 seconds. This is using AFP or SMB (SMB is a bit faster).

I called Macromedia (Adobe) support for help and their only answer is that "saving over a network is not reccommended or supported" (neither is this documented, even though some of their tutorial examples use network workflows). I told them that Flash MX 2004 (and previous) NEVER gave me this problem which has apparently been introduced with Flash 8 Professional.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

Jfly
        • 1. Re: Flash 8 vs. FLash MX 2004
          Level 7
          you should search this forum the past 2 days - been a few more posts about working/saving to a
          network and losing entire flas - it is never recommended - with any type of program.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com

ALabama1959 wrote:
          > This is a Flash 8 vs. Flash MX 2004 issue...
          >
          > Anyone else noticing a difference saving files over a network from Flash 8. I
          > have never had a problem with Flash MX 2004 saving over a network, but now
          > saving a 14 MB flash file to a Mac OS X Server is taking up to 2 minutes over
          > AFP!! Server is a Sawtooth G4 running Jaguar Server 10.2.8 - long in the tooth
          > I know!
          >
          > An odd thing about this is that my first save will take 15 seconds, my second
          > about 2 minutes, the third around 15 seconds, the fourth around 2 minutes and
          > so on... A "Save as" will take about 40 seconds consistently.
          >
          > That is:
          > 0:15 - 1st save
          > 2:00 - 2nd save
          > 0:15 - 3rd save
          > 1:56 - 4th save
          >
          > Again that is using AFP, but even using SMB I notice this alternate short/long
          > save time. Using SMB a "Save as" takes 16 seconds on the same 14 MB file. Then
          > the first save will take 3 seconds and the second about 13 seconds, the third
          > save will take 3 seconds the fourth save will take 14 seconds etc...
          >
          > Now this looks like a good case for using SMB over AFP (but that is a topic
          > for another forum). However, it is clearly a Flash 8 vs. Flash MX 2004 issue.
          > When I go back to using Flash MX 2004 saves pretty consistently take about 2-3
          > seconds and "Save As" takes about 10 seconds. This is using AFP or SMB (SMB is
          > a bit faster).
          >
          > I called Macromedia (Adobe) support for help and their only answer is that
          > "saving over a network is not reccommended or supported" (neither is this
          > documented, even though some of their tutorial examples use network workflows).
          > I told them that Flash MX 2004 (and previous) NEVER gave me this problem which
          > has apparently been introduced with Flash 8 Professional.
          >
          > Anyone else have this issue?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Jfly
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: Flash 8 vs. FLash MX 2004
            Nickels55 Level 2
            Your next post will be, "How come my files don't open..?"

Don't work across a network!

• 3. Flash 8 vs. FLash MX 2004
              JFly Level 1
              I don't think my question was unreasonable.

Don't you collaborate with other people on the same project over a network or share files?

I know (and I even stated) that Adobe Support said it was not recommended, but every other piece of software that I have used (Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, Word, Excel - you name it) allows saving to a file server, and this was true with flash up until Flash 8. Are you telling me that the practice of opening and saving files across a network is taboo? What planet have I been working on for the past 10 years?

Now, how do I close my browser window? ;)

Jfly
              • 4. Re: Flash 8 vs. FLash MX 2004
                Level 7
                It's not whether or not a program "allows" saving to a network (they all do), it when you are
                working/saving to a network and the network goes down or hiccups that you can potentially lose work
                and end up with a corrupt file - i use to work in a production studio with huge servers - we all
                shared files yes, but worked/saved locally - when we were done at the end of the day we *copied* our
                files to the network for sharing and backup (auto tape backups every night).

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
                --> www.mudbubble.com
                --> www.keyframer.com

ALabama1959 wrote:
                > I don't think my question was unreasonable.
                >
                > Don't you collaborate with other people on the same project over a network or
                > share files?
                >
                > I know (and I even stated) that Adobe Support said it was not recommended, but
                > every other piece of software that I have used allows saving to a file server,
                > and this was true with flash up until Flash 8.
                >
                > Now, how do I close my browser window? ;)
                >
                > Jfly
                >
                • 5. Flash 8 vs. FLash MX 2004
                  Nickels55 Level 2
                  You can collaborate with people over a network, who in a corporation doesn't? But you should save the file locally first, make your updates to the local file on your HD, then move the fixed file back to the network. Otherwise your just asking for trouble.

Bush is still president on this planet, we'll let you know when it's safe to return.