3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2006 6:21 AM by Newsgroup_User

What can I do with multiuser Xtra

Level 7
      Hello:

I need to make and play a game (800x600 resolution) in four PC's with some
      graphics, Flash animations and texts.
      Can I make this with multiuser server and multiuser Xtra?

If is possible, Do I have to install the application with graphics and swf
      in every PC or I have to install only in the server and clients access to
      the server?
      Can you help me to develop this, please?

thank you very much.

• 1. Re: What can I do with multiuser Xtra
          Level 7
          Hi Anne,

if it's gonna be a multiplayer game, MUS would be good to use. I see you
          found the MUS forum.
          You cannot use the server as a distribution platform. Well maybe have it
          tell it's clients there's new external casts for download or something.
          You need something to contact the server, might as well be the game itself.

About help with development... there's not that much resources. Gary's
          book as mentioned in the MUS forum and:
          http://director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=923
          http://director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=910
          and maybe
          http://www.friendsofed.com/book.html?isbn=1903450446 (out of print)

hope this helps,
          Manno

Anne wrote:
          > Hello:
          >
          > I need to make and play a game (800x600 resolution) in four PC's with some
          > graphics, Flash animations and texts.
          > Can I make this with multiuser server and multiuser Xtra?
          >
          > If is possible, Do I have to install the application with graphics and swf
          > in every PC or I have to install only in the server and clients access to
          > the server?
          > Can you help me to develop this, please?
          >
          > thank you very much.
          >
          >

--
          ----------
          Manno Bult
          manno@xs4all.nl
          • 2. Re: What can I do with multiuser Xtra
            duckets Level 1
            Do you mean you need to create a 4-player multiuser game, from scratch?

Yes this is possible with Director and the multiuser server & xtra, however it is not a trivial thing to attempt - you'll need a significant amount of time to learn and experiment with creating multiuser connections and setting up your game network code.

You'll have to install the game you make on each pc, but the multiuser server only needs to run on one pc. It is also possible to make multiuser games which operate without the multiuser server (and instead, only requiring the xtra on each of the client machines), using a peer-to-peer network where one of the players acts as the 'host'. However in order for this to work you need to provide some alternative mechansism for each user in the game to discover the host's IP address.

If you have other specific questions about your project, do post them, but you may not find anyone who can help you develop the whole thing because it is a fairly large task!

hope this helps!

- Ben

• 3. Re: What can I do with multiuser Xtra
              Level 7
              Thank you very much.
              I have two questions:

Can I send or show different images to PC from the server? to see different
              images on each PC.

The game has almost done, but for one PC. Do you know how to adapt for
              multiuser server?
              thanks