27 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2009 8:42 AM by Newsgroup_User

CS4 serious problem!

Rob Miller Level 1
      Hi

I have a brand new Mac Pro and CS4 - it is practically the only program suite I run on this machine. I have used fireworks for years and know it very well.
      I have massive problems with it. The most common problem is when I have 2 files open, when I do something on one file (zoom, image size, export preview etc etc) it does it on the 'hidden' file that is not open, ie the one that is open but not the one I'm working on. Therefore I can only work on one image at a time.
      Behaviours is simply awful - I can change one behaviour on one button - if I want to change another then I have to close and restart Fireworks - I kid you not!
      When I 'export preview' an image it often just exports one image even though I have slices and export slices selected - I will sometimes have to export 5 or 6 times before it eventually does the right thing.
      There are other serious flaws as well.

I know what you;re going to say - re-install the software - I have - 5 times.
      Re-install the system software? 4 times.
      I am a web developer who has used Mac for years, so I am no novice and I know what I'm doing.
      I have no idea what is going on! But I do know there are serious problems with this that I cannot comprehend.

Anyone have any similar problems??
      Any help would be very much appreciated because I think that these flaws are costing me about 25% of my working time at the moment.

Thanks
      Rob
        • 1. Re: CS4 serious problem!
          Kimberly Lovely
          I'm on a MacPro to running OS 10.5.5. Same issues as you and a few more. Slicing, text, CSS export and like you behaviors on my buttons don't work. So I just got off the phone with the tech and he said install OS 10.5.6 and go to the tech notes http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405840&sliceId=2. If these steps don't fix the problems then give them a call back. Wish me luck! - Kim
          • 2. Re: CS4 serious problem!
            r u a computer guy? Level 1
            I went through this document and did most of it. Same problems. I use a similar system both at home and at work and the crash problems occur on both. Most of the time the crashes seem to happen during some sort of auto save feature. I wish I could just shut it off but cannot figure out how.

To make things worse I'd like to stick with FireWorks and a XAML exporter to do an unfortunate project for Silverlight but since my productivity is in the toilet, the powers that be keep trying to push me into using MS Blend or whatever it is called. So sad.
            • 3. Re: CS4 serious problem!
              Kimberly Lovely Level 1
              Well now I'm very frustrated. I to did everything suggested by the tech at Adobe and the text will not wrap only when I do a return. It just goes on the one line forever! The next issue it the rounded corners on my box that has type in it. Well the other problem was fixed with all of the tech notes stuff I did but I have now an alignment issue. The middle slice on the repeat-y is not align with the corner slices which are all the same pixel width. Can someone out there help us MacBook Pro CS4 Fireworks users???? I have deadlines to make and need to use the software I bought.
              • 4. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                Kimberly Lovely Level 1
                When I put a button in my design and export it doesn't show up at all in the code now either. As before the behaviors didn't work but at least the button was there. Tech guys at Adobe if your reading this HELP. The software is out of control for the MacBook Pro users.
                • 5. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                  j.vincken
                  Unfortunatly these problem are not exclusive to MacBook users. I have an iMac and have most of these problems.
                  • 6. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                    Volker Lannert
                    Same with me, working on an 24" iMac.
                    • 7. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                      Stewart Design Level 1
                      I would like to chime in with the same problems as all of you. It's so buggy and random and unpredictable, I have problems even identifying exactly WHAT the hell is wrong with it. OSX 10.5.6, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro Unibody.

My biggest irritation is basically the refresh problems. I can click on an item, and the Properties palette will reflect the previous thing I was on. I have to deselect, then reselect a few times before it will finally refresh the properties palette.

I've run into text problems as well-- text wrapping woes, etc.

If I quit and restart, some of it will work better for a little while (maybe 15 min.)

I've been using it since version 1 on Windows and haven't ever had a fraction of the problems as I've having now on the Mac version. It's quite a disappointment, to put it mildly.
                      • 8. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                        Stewart Design Level 1
                        I would like to chime in with the same problems as all of you. It's so buggy and random and unpredictable, I have problems even identifying exactly WHAT the hell is wrong with it. OSX 10.5.6, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro Unibody.

My biggest irritation is basically the refresh problems. I can click on an item, and the Properties palette will reflect the previous thing I was on. I have to deselect, then reselect a few times before it will finally refresh the properties palette.

I've run into text problems as well-- text wrapping woes, etc.

If I quit and restart, some of it will work better for a little while (maybe 15 min.)

I've been using it since version 1 on Windows and haven't ever had a fraction of the problems as I've having now on the Mac version. It's quite a disappointment, to put it mildly.
                        • 9. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                          shambunashi Adobe Employee
                          Hi Rob,
                          ==================================================================================
                          Behaviors is simply awful - I can change one behavior on one button - if I want to change another then I have to close and restart Fireworks; When I put a button in my design and export it doesn't show up at all in the code now either. As before the behaviors didn't work but at least the button was there.
                          ==================================================================================
                          Can you please elaborate on the issue you facing with clear steps? It will greatly help the team if you can provide us the sample file in which you facing the issue. Please remove any confidential data present in png file & pass on the file to us

Thanks,
                          Shambu
                          • 10. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                            Hi Kim,
                            The text will wrap only when I do a return. It just goes on the one line forever!
                            Can you please elaborate on the issue you facing? In Fireworks, When select text tool & click on canvas, it create a point text frame which will expand only in horizontal direction unless pressing return key explicitly. On the other hand if you click & drag out on canvas using text tool, it create area text frame which will auto wrap & expand in vertical direction as you type character.

Thanks,
                            Shambu
                            • 11. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                              Thanks for taking time in reporting the issue. We are working on Propertied Inspector refresh issue.

--Shambu
                              • 12. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                                Hi Kim,
                                But I have now an alignment issue. The middle slice on the repeat-y is not align with the corner slices which are all the same pixel width.
                                Thanks for reporting the issue, Can you please provide indepth workflow while you run into this issue? Screenshot or the png file will be greatly helpful to pin down the root cause.

Thanks
                                Shambu
                                • 13. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                                  Hi,
                                  =================================================================================
                                  Most of the time the crashes seem to happen during some sort of auto save feature. I wish I could just shut it off but cannot figure out how
                                  =================================================================================
                                  Are you using Autosave extension uploaded at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/marketplace/index.cfm?event=marketplace.offering&offeringID=1 0210 or you mean Asynchronous save? Can you please highlight more on this issue.

Thanks,
                                  Shambu
                                  • 14. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                                    Hi,

I'm on a Mac book Pro to running OS 10.5.6 and CS4, and two days ago I did CS4 upgrade.

I've a serious matter with FW, when I export html and images files It doesn't identify assigned path file. In this case the problem is with assigned folder for images; I have to export more times before to change the right name folder using the 'folder selection tool', but then it's impossibile to assign sub route location of images file.

Another problem is with exportation of html and images to preexistent folder with other elements inside... it doesn't work and my italian version of FW gives the message error 'file not found'.

I'm very disappointed and I'm going to reinstall FW CS3, my sensation is about a seriously bug on this version.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rita

• 15. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                                      mbmoore
                                      I just found this forum and it's reassuring to know it just isn't me.

Here are my problems:
                                      1) text moves outside bounding box if I group text elements and use the keyboard to move them around the page

2) If I have two files open and file 1 selected and in view, and I try to export it to a GIF or JPG, often times it'll be file 2 that actually gets exported

3) Sometimes my exports switch to a transparent background, for no obvious reason

and worst of all
                                      4) On a big file with multiple pages and lots of layers on each page, I can pretty much count on FW crashing once an hour.

On some level, I'm not sure I'd even call FW CS4 alpha level software.
                                      • 16. CS4 serious problem!
                                        Type out of the box problem:
                                        I've found if you switch the color of the type to something else and then back again the type will go back into the box.

Crashing problem:
                                        I've been through the mill on this one with tech support. None of the suggestions work. No end in sight...
                                        • 17. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                                          cmyck Level 1
                                          OMG. It's faster to make even complicated image maps by hand than hassle with FW CS4's quirks and bugs.
                                          It totally slows down my workflow.
                                          I'll give you a tip Adobe: Don't loose the little respect your customers have left for you. Try doing a performance and quality-assurance iteration of the whole Suite (the naming is misleading anyhow!). Apple can do that too, why can't Adobe?
                                          Quality over Features! Throw the investors over board and try making good software again.
                                          • 18. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                                            Hi Rita,
                                            > when I export html and images files It doesn't identify assigned path file.
                                            > FW gives the message error 'file not found'.
                                            Can you please delete the preferences file placed at /Users/<user Name>/Library/Preferences/Adobe Fireworks CS4/ & try to repro this issue? Also please send a mail to shambu@adobe.com with your findings.

Thanks,
                                            Shambu
                                            • 19. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                                              Level 7
                                              "cmyck" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                              news:gp5e6e$hb7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                              > OMG. It's faster to make even complicated image maps by hand than hassle
                                              > with
                                              > FW CS4's quirks and bugs.
                                              > It totally slows down my workflow.
                                              > I'll give you a tip Adobe: Don't loose the little respect your customers
                                              > have
                                              > left for you. Try doing a performance and quality-assurance iteration of
                                              > the
                                              > whole Suite (the naming is misleading anyhow!). Apple can do that too, why
                                              > can't Adobe?
                                              > Quality over Features! Throw the investors over board and try making good
                                              > software again.

The problem with the situation is that some Adobe employees and some Adobe
                                              community experts are either covering up the faults in CS4 or are shooting
                                              down honest assessments of the problems as rants. As I see it, Adobe has one
                                              more version left to pull out of a serious tailspin or it will wind up
                                              getting out of the desktop application business.

I can't afford to waste my time (and hours of work) and have reverted back
                                              to using CS3 applications for production work. CS4 is merely a testing
                                              platform for our products.

--
                                              Al Sparber - PVII
                                              http://www.projectseven.com
                                              The Finest Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets
                                              http://www.projectseven.com/go/pop
                                              The Ultimate DW Menu System

• 20. CS4 serious problem!
                                                ======================================================================
                                                Are you using Autosave extension uploaded at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/marketplace/index.cfm?event=marketplace.offering&offeringID=1 0210 or you mean Asynchronous save? Can you please highlight more on this issue.
                                                ======================================================================
                                                It must be the Asynchronus save. I have not installed the other item you referenced. Usually, I am working with text at the same time when the crash happens.
                                                • 21. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                                                  Level 7
                                                  Well if the ACE's came out against it then they wouldn't get the freebies,
                                                  that they rely on to stay in business, anymore. If they actually had to pay
                                                  for it themselves I think different tunes would be sung.

• 22. CS4 serious problem!
                                                    HeeroEYuy
                                                    Wow, a lot of things have been said here that all touch a cord with me. I originally found this thread when I went out looking for help with the PLETHORA of issues I have with Fireworks CS4.

I just downloaded CS4 as a trial (glad I didn't buy it), and first ran into issues with text. That led to a number of other issues mentioned throughout this thread. This was not the first forum I went to that addressed all of these pitfalls. Actually just the opposite, this was the last of many, all having same issues mentioned.

I have to admit that I'm a huge fan of fireworks (being a developer, it helps bridge the gap for me between learning photoshop, and how a design outputs to a web page). I've used it for many, many years and have been very happy with it... until now (especially with the new text engine has just made text worse).

ADOBE GET YOUR STUFF TOGETHER FFS!!! I'm left disappointed and agreeing with this posting (back to CS3 for me, for a VERY VERY long time until this stuff is fixed) :

The problem with the situation is that some Adobe employees and some Adobe
                                                    community experts are either covering up the faults in CS4 or are shooting
                                                    down honest assessments of the problems as rants. As I see it, Adobe has one
                                                    more version left to pull out of a serious tailspin or it will wind up
                                                    getting out of the desktop application business.

I can't afford to waste my time (and hours of work) and have reverted back
                                                    to using CS3 applications for production work. CS4 is merely a testing
                                                    platform for our products.

--
                                                    Al Sparber - PVII
                                                    • 23. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                                                      I've heard people mention downgrading to CS3. Is this even possible if CS4 is the 1st time I purchased Fireworks?
                                                      • 24. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                                                        Level 1
                                                        Hi Shambu,

I tried to follow your instruction, I deleted preferences file and it doesn't work out my problem.

I tried to reinstall software and it doesn't work out...

I tried to uninstall firework CS4 and reinstall firework CS3, but the installation failed. During installation it ask me about CS4 install disk, after that it doesn't run anymore..

Do you have some suggestion? thanks

Thanks

Rita Giacalone
                                                        • 25. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                                                          garybastoky
                                                          Sounds to me like some Marketing people said, "we're releasing a Suite by x-date and all the related development groups need to have their product ready to go by then." FW CS4 just wasn't ready but it shipped anyway.

I'm a UI/UX Designer and have worked in the software industry for over 20 years and have used Photoshop since 1.x, I was on the testing team at Aldus for FreeHand 2.x, I've used every version of Fireworks, FreeHand, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and many others, but other than MacWord 1.0, FW CS4 is the most unstable software release I have ever tried to use. I un-installed it and went back to CS3, which crashes occasionally, not every time I move my mouse or breathe.

Please fix this. What a waste of money.
                                                          • 26. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                                                            Rokkster
                                                            I only installed Fireworks CS4 a couple of days ago but have also run into numerous issues :-( Can't believe an upgrade at this price can be so buggy (iMac 24 - 2.9ghz, 4gb ram etc). First thing that happened was it mangled a file on save so that all the layers were reordered. Luckily had a backup. Moving anything around the screen is awful with huge lag (worse on a Wacom - but almost as bad on a mouse). Also noticed that if you export a file as a PNG and deselect 'this page only' it still only saves that page! Works fine with JPG though. I'm going to persevere in the vain hope that Adobe gets their sh** together and releases a patch soon.
                                                            • 27. Re: CS4 serious problem!
                                                              Level 7
                                                              Rokkster wrote:
                                                              > I only installed Fireworks CS4 a couple of days ago but have also run into
                                                              > numerous issues :-( Can't believe an upgrade at this price can be so buggy
                                                              > (iMac 24 - 2.9ghz, 4gb ram etc). First thing that happened was it mangled a
                                                              > file on save so that all the layers were reordered. Luckily had a backup.
                                                              > Moving anything around the screen is awful with huge lag (worse on a Wacom -
                                                              > but almost as bad on a mouse). Also noticed that if you export a file as a PNG
                                                              > and deselect 'this page only' it still only saves that page! Works fine with
                                                              > JPG though. I'm going to persevere in the vain hope that Adobe gets their sh**
                                                              > together and releases a patch soon.

http://blogs.adobe.com/fireworks/2009/03/updater_planned_for_fireworks.html

Dooza
                                                              --
                                                              Posting Guidelines
                                                              http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/guidelines.html
                                                              How To Ask Smart Questions
                                                              http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
                                                              How To Report A Bug To Adobe
                                                              http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform