5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2006 2:47 PM by Newsgroup_User

Problem using with()

KylieJebb
      Hi,

Can anyone help me here? I am pulling my hair out trying to get this code to work. When I test the following code I get a
      Error: A 'with' action failed because the specified object did not exist. problem. I can't see what is wrong. My three images display however the rollOver bit just doesn't happen at all. I am new to Actionscript and trying to get an exercise to work from an animation and effects text book.
        • 1. Re: Problem using with()
          arunbe Level 1
          hi,
          the with command is the old one.
          so, for line drawing we give the mc name directly like this..

target_mc.box_mc.beginFill(0xFFFFFF, 30);
          target_mc.box_mc.moveTo(0, 0);
          target_mc.box_mc.lineTo(target_mc.box_mc.w, 0);
          target_mc.box_mc.lineTo(target_mc.box_mc.w, target_mc.box_mc.h);
          target_mc.box_mc.lineTo(0, target_mc.box_mc.h);
          target_mc.box_mc.lineTo(0, 0);
          target_mc.box_mc.endFill();

instead of

with (target_mc.box_mc) {
          beginFill(0xFFFFFF, 30);
          moveTo(0, 0);
          lineTo(w, 0);
          lineTo(w, h);
          lineTo(0, h);
          lineTo(0, 0);
          endFill();
          }
          • 2. Re: Problem using with()
            KylieJebb Level 1
            Hi Arun,

Thanks for your help. Your answer got rid of that error, but I am still at a loss as to why the rollOver effect still isn't working. Can you see anything else that is wrong? Should that code be inside the onrollOver function? BTW, I am using flash 8.

Thanks, Kylie
            • 3. Re: Problem using with()
              arunbe Level 1
              hi,
              i think, this is a part of your code.
              i cant get any idea from this code to understand whats you desired result.
              can you send me the code details fully or send me the fla file.
              • 4. Re: Problem using with()
                KylieJebb Level 1
                Hi Arun,

I have attached the complete code. My goal is just basically to code an image gallery using actionscript. I don't know of any good ones on the net but I would rather code one myself and learn before going down that alley. Once I get the rollOver effect going I wanted to put some code that when the user clicked on an image, the fullsize picture will display. If you can see why the rollOver effect isn't working, I would appreciate it.
                Thanks,
                Kylie
                • 5. Re: Problem using with()
                  Level 7
                  Its telling you than box_mc doesn't exist. So its most likely not your
                  code, but other things in your FLA. make sure your names are correct with
                  correct upper/lower case, and make sure that your code is executing where it
                  is supposed to (in the correct clip).

Put in some tracing like
                  trace("this="+this+",_target="+_target);
                  at various key places to ensure it is running inside the clip you expect it
                  to.

Basically, you need to find out why things aren't how you expect .. and
                  99.9999% of the time, the problem is with something you've done :)
                  --
                  Jeckyl