13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2009 9:27 PM by bregent

Designing pages to be easily updated without Dreamweaver

ytlevine Level 1
      I have done a few sites in Dreamweaver, but so far all of them were very simple and straight forward.
      I recently was approached about doing a site for a business. For now, they want a catalog of their products online, divided into categories.
      They also want to be able to update the site with new products on their own.
      How can I design something than they can easily update without Dreamweaver, or anything complicated?
        • 1. Re: Designing pages to be easily treated without Dreamweaver
          Level 7
          Investigate Adobe's InContext Editing, or http://www.contentseed.com for two
          very simple approaches to this kind of requirement.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"ytlevine" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gl3206$d93$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have done a few sites in Dreamweaver, but so far all of them were very
          >simple
          > and straight forward.
          > I recently was approached about doing a site for a business. For now, they
          > want a catalog of their products online, divided into categories.
          > They also want to be able to update the site with new products on their
          > own.
          > How can I design something than they can easily update without
          > Dreamweaver, or
          > anything complicated?
          >

• 2. Re: Designing pages to be easily treated without Dreamweaver
            ytlevine Level 1
            Are there any free solutions on the company end?
            • 3. Re: Designing pages to be easily treated without Dreamweaver
              bregent Most Valuable Participant
              >Are there any free solutions on the company end?

On the company end? What does that mean. There are many free CMS products. How good are you with server side scripting and which language are you most comfortable with?
              • 4. Re: Designing pages to be easily treated without Dreamweaver
                ytlevine Level 1
                Sorry - by the company I mean the user I an creating the site for.
                I don't know any scripting for web sites - I am learning HTML a bit from using Dreamweaver, but otherwise, I leave the coding up to Dreamweaver.
                So is there any free program that could edit some parts of the site, like change pictures and text, and change links, or any other free way to do it outside Dreamweaver?
                And if I have to have them buy a program, would Contribute work?
                And if I don't want to use something I have to pay monthly for, like InContext, would Contribute be the best solution?
                And if I go with Contribute, how would I set the page up to be editable, and specify which parts can be edited?
                Thanks.
                • 5. Re: Designing pages to be easily treated without Dreamweaver
                  Level 7
                  > So is there any free program that could edit some parts of the site, like
                  > change pictures and text, and change links, or any other free way to do it
                  > outside Dreamweaver?

Not aware of any. But if there were, you would still have to get your hands
                  into the code to make it work.

> And if I have to have them buy a program, would Contribute work?

Yes, but you would have to buy a copy too. I don't recommend Contribute,
                  honestly - I'm not crazy about it.

> And if I don't want to use something I have to pay monthly for, like
                  > InContext, would Contribute be the best solution?

No, I don't think so. And by the way, it's not *you* that would pay this
                  monthly charge, it's the client. I'd recommend ContentSeed over Contribute
                  all day.

> And if I go with Contribute, how would I set the page up to be editable,
                  > and
                  > specify which parts can be edited?

Contribute follows DW's Template markup in choosing editable regions.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:gl3n4d$78c$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Sorry - by the company I mean the user I an creating the site for.
                  > I don't know any scripting for web sites - I am learning HTML a bit from
                  > using
                  > Dreamweaver, but otherwise, I leave the coding up to Dreamweaver.
                  > So is there any free program that could edit some parts of the site, like
                  > change pictures and text, and change links, or any other free way to do it
                  > outside Dreamweaver?
                  > And if I have to have them buy a program, would Contribute work?
                  > And if I don't want to use something I have to pay monthly for, like
                  > InContext, would Contribute be the best solution?
                  > And if I go with Contribute, how would I set the page up to be editable,
                  > and
                  > specify which parts can be edited?
                  > Thanks.
                  >

• 6. Re: Designing pages to be easily treated without Dreamweaver
                    ytlevine Level 1
                    I looked into ContentSeed and it seems like a good option.
                    A few questions:
                    Does it work well to change or update text?
                    And how about pictures?
                    And is that the best option for updating a site that way?
                    And if the client would want to bed the ability to order online, if we use PayPal to start off, any recommendations for shopping cart scripts?
                    And where can I get info about processing Credit Cards online, if they would want that eventually?
                    Thanks!
                    • 7. Re: Designing pages to be easily treated without Dreamweaver
                      Level 7
                      > Does it work well to change or update text?

Yes.

> And how about pictures?

Yes.

> And is that the best option for updating a site that way?

Huh?

> And if the client would want to bed the ability to order online, if we use
                      > PayPal to start off, any recommendations for shopping cart scripts?

I assume you mean if the client would want to add this? I have used both
                      CartWeaver and WebAssists products. They will both require some skill on
                      your part. PayPal has a 'cart' system that is relatively easy. This would
                      not have anything to do with ContentSeed, though.

> And where can I get info about processing Credit Cards online, if they
                      > would
                      > want that eventually?

You don't ever want to even think about going there. Just let your PayPal
                      do it, or use a card gateway provider like Authorize.net.

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

news:gl5jcf$id2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >I looked into ContentSeed and it seems like a good option.
                      > A few questions:
                      > Does it work well to change or update text?
                      > And how about pictures?
                      > And is that the best option for updating a site that way?
                      > And if the client would want to bed the ability to order online, if we use
                      > PayPal to start off, any recommendations for shopping cart scripts?
                      > And where can I get info about processing Credit Cards online, if they
                      > would
                      > want that eventually?
                      > Thanks!
                      >

• 8. Re: Designing pages to be easily treated without Dreamweaver
                        ytlevine Level 1
                        I was asking if ContentSeed is the best solution that allows the client to update pages online.
                        With text, it just seems interesting that it can edit text in the HTML file, when the way it would update a picture is by changing the link.
                        But it can do that?
                        Also, if I set it up that the image is a link to another page, can I easily edit where it links to?
                        Thanks Murray - you're a great one man support team!
                        • 9. Re: Designing pages to be easily treated without Dreamweaver
                          Level 7
                          >I was asking if ContentSeed is the best solution that allows the client to
                          > update pages online.

It is a good solution.

> With text, it just seems interesting that it can edit text in the HTML
                          > file,
                          > when the way it would update a picture is by changing the link.
                          > But it can do that?

Are you asking "Can I replace one image with another one"? The answer is
                          yes. Are you asking "Can I add a new image to a page"? The answer is yes.
                          But your question above makes no sense to me. Sorry.

> Also, if I set it up that the image is a link to another page, can I
                          > easily
                          > edit where it links to?

Yes.

> Thanks Murray - you're a great one man support team!

Me and my 7 clones thank you.

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          ==================
                          ==================

news:gl5mc2$lto$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >I was asking if ContentSeed is the best solution that allows the client to
                          > update pages online.
                          > With text, it just seems interesting that it can edit text in the HTML
                          > file,
                          > when the way it would update a picture is by changing the link.
                          > But it can do that?
                          > Also, if I set it up that the image is a link to another page, can I
                          > easily
                          > edit where it links to?
                          > Thanks Murray - you're a great one man support team!
                          >

• 10. Re: Designing pages to be easily treated without Dreamweaver
                            ytlevine Level 1
                            Are there any better solutions?
                            I meant to ask, is it able to update or change the text in the original HTML file?
                            Thanks.
                            • 11. Re: Designing pages to be easily treated without Dreamweaver
                              Level 7
                              Yes. Yes. Yes.

--
                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              ==================
                              ==================

news:gl5pbo$p7d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Are there any better solutions?
                              > I meant to ask, is it able to update or change the text in the original
                              > HTML file?
                              > Thanks.

• 12. Re: Designing pages to be easily treated without Dreamweaver
                                ytlevine Level 1
                                Are there any better solutions for updating a page in this manner, or is ContextSeed the best?
                                • 13. Re: Designing pages to be easily treated without Dreamweaver
                                  bregent Most Valuable Participant
                                  >Are there any better solutions for updating a page in this manner, or is ContextSeed the best?

Better is what way? What is YOUR criteria for defining best? Easiest to use? Easiest to implement? Most options? Most cost effective? There are hundreds of content management systems and they all have different feature sets that may or may not meet your needs. The only way you will know for sure is to read the manuals and take some test drives.