2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2006 4:56 PM by TonyHardin

Best server configuration

TonyHardin
      I have a flash presentation that was given to me to use as a start page for a site. It seems to run rather slow to me, and when pointing that out to the developer, they showed me a temp location for it where it loaded much faster. I do classic ASP and .NET development on Microsoft IIS and am wondering if THAT is what is making this movie load slow.

Does anyone have experience in checking on different platforms and knowing for sure that one is much better (faster) delivering flash than others? If so, I would consider throwing the movie in an iframe and pointing it to a different platform.

The movie is the start page of: http://www.ChurchDare.com

Thank you,

Tony
        • 1. Re: Best server configuration
          Level 7
          It could depend on a variety of issues. Such issues could be:

A). Is the server load high outside of the temp location?

B). How large is the movie file? Even on a high speed LAN, it took me 30+
          seconds to get the movie loaded

C). It could also be that your computer's memory is running slow on RAM or
          the network connection between your computer and the server is not running
          smoothly at the moment.

I've noticed the performance of Flash applications vary greatly from machine
          to machine. My major Flash application is housed on a UNIX machine at my
          employer and I have received no complaints and I'm relatively sure it's
          getting hit regulary. I also have it on a split box which runs Windows/UNIX
          and still haven't noticed anything. But depending on what machines I run it
          on, the speed is sometimes affected. If I have left the computer running
          along with major memory hogs such as Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash, and
          leave my machine idle for a while and come back, the performance is
          affected. Each movie file is probably a 1MB or less.

So in a nutshell, you're probably experiencing what every Flash developer
          does, inconsistencies in performance. Or at least that's my opinion.

Ryan

"TonyHardin" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:efc5js$ktj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have a flash presentation that was given to me to use as a start page for
          >a
          > site. It seems to run rather slow to me, and when pointing that out to the
          > developer, they showed me a temp location for it where it loaded much
          > faster. I
          > do classic ASP and .NET development on Microsoft IIS and am wondering if
          > THAT
          > is what is making this movie load slow.
          >
          > Does anyone have experience in checking on different platforms and knowing
          > for
          > sure that one is much better (faster) delivering flash than others? If so,
          > I
          > would consider throwing the movie in an iframe and pointing it to a
          > different
          > platform.
          >
          > The movie is the start page of: http://www.ChurchDare.com
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > Tony
          >
          >

• 2. Re: Best server configuration
            TonyHardin Level 1
            Thank you Ryan, I think it's more server-related somehow and am still looking for an answer along those lines. I have a Dell Latitude D810 with 1.5 gigs of memory, and typically shut down and carry it to meetings. In meetings, connected to our LAN with two T1s, without other applications running, I can see how slow it is compared to this other sitete (which I cannot find anymore to test against). When we were discussing streaming on-demand video, someone at one of these companies told me that Flash was very server-intensive. I'm looking for the best solution.

Tony