1 2 Previous Next 74 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2006 10:27 AM by Newsgroup_User

Flex Success Stories

Level 7
      Hi there.
      I have heard a lot of developers sing the praises of how wonderful Flex is,
      and as a developer myself, it's certainly an improvement over using
      Flash.exe to author Flash movies, for certain applications.

However what I am struggling to find is "real world" production scenarios
      where it's ("it" being "Flex" and the whole "RIA" concept) actually proven
      to be of much use.

Situations I'm investigating:
      1) Companies that have had an existing HTML-based web presence which
      decided to jump to a Flex-driven RIA solution, and experienced an up-turn
      in business.

2) Companies which did NOT have an existing HTML-based web presence, and
      decided to go for a Flex / Flash UI as opposed to an HTML one, the
      rationale for doing so, and their resultant findings (harder to quantify
      the comparitive benefits in this case, I realise).

We're finding Flex to be be difficult to justify as a technology. I don't
      disagree that it's interesting and it *should* be a (cliche alert) "killer
      app", but I don't actually see it in the real world.

We have had a relationship with Macromedia (not sure how this translates to
      Adobe), and had asked them, but they never actually came up with anything
      (which is worrying). There seems to be a lot of claims of how great all
      this RIA is, but not a lot of tangible evidence that it's great enough for
      anyone with a cheque book to actually care.

So here I am asking the community. Does anyone have any analysis or case
      studies of Flex success stories?

I am NOT trying to knock Flex / Flash at all. On the contrary, I am trying
      to gather ammnunition as to how to justify using it to potential clients.
      *I* think it's a cool product.

Cheers.

--
      Adam
        • 1. Re: Flex Success Stories
          ntsiii Level 3
          Hey, man, that is a good question, but this forum is for Flex 1.5, and almost nobody is here anymore.

If you have not, post this in the Flex 2 General Discussion forum, or on flexcoders, a Yahoo Group. Search the archives on flexcoders before posting.

Tracy Spratt
          • 2. Re: Flex Success Stories
            Level 7
            Situations I'm investigating:
            1) Companies that have had an existing HTML-based web presence which
            decided to jump to a Flex-driven RIA solution, and experienced an up-turn
            in business.

2) Companies which did NOT have an existing HTML-based web presence, and
            decided to go for a Flex / Flash UI as opposed to an HTML one, the
            rationale for doing so, and their resultant findings (harder to quantify
            the comparitive benefits in this case, I realise).

I just attended an Adobe Flex & ColdFusion conference with Ben Forta
            yesterday. I suspect you may be looking at Flex a bit skewed. It is
            not really meant to replace HTML but be value added addition to it.
            What Flex gives you is a state-full client that maintains a connection
            with the server. This allows you to build application that behave the
            same is a desktop application. One of the wow examples he showed was a
            standard master-detail drill down data editing application that would
            show a popup to a user when another users changed the record they are
            editing, before they submit the record. This works because the server
            can keep track of the editing activity of all the users and push
            messages to all users affected by another users actions.
            • 3. Re: Flex Success Stories
              Hi Ian.
              I don't need Flex explained to me, I know how it works, and what it delivers. I'm not asking for information about that.

If you actually read my initial post, I was asking for case studies where people had translated Flex's potential into actual business, and had found *actual* business cases where it made a difference. Not theoretical cases, REAL ones:

"We had an HTML-based site which was doing £x business... we changed to a Flex-based solution, and found that it increased our business by £y".

"We have [a requirement] that lead us to use a RIA solution rather than a HTML-only solution because of [some reason] and these were our findings".

You and I might care that Flex is excellent, can do lots of wonderful things, and is "the way forward". However this does not automatically translate into a compelling reason to use it. Unless a company can see that it does actually offer them something, there's no reason for them to care.

PS: I copied this topic over to the Flex 2.0 forum. It might be a better place to continue any discussion.

--
              Adam
              • 4. Re: Flex Success Stories
                Level 7
                Mr. Cameron

I did read your post. And the point I was trying to make is that I
                believe a lot of Flex development is going to be in BACK END systems
                that may not make $ for a company in a straight forward manor. At least
                in these early days.

That is the way my company is going to use it first. I am in the
                process, learning as I go, of rebuilding a key back end Internet
                application that our recruiters use to schedule mobile blood drives.
                The public never sees any part of this application so we do not earn any
                money from it. Being a non-profit, technically we do not earn a profit
                from anything, but that is besides the point. What this application
                does is save us money by making our recruiters more efficient at their
                jobs so that they can recruit more mobile drive locations.

We are moving forward with the Flex RIA application, because it makes
                the application easier to use and provides new features that would be
                very difficult with a traditional HTML base application.

Features such as moving from month to month without refreshing the user
                interface, real time data conflict events and handling when more then
                one recruiter tries to use the same resources, cleaner and smother
                transition for a master calendar view to detail views where specific
                mobile drive information can be viewed, edited and created.

I did not see the Flex 2 forum for this so I've replied here for now.

• 5. Re: Flex Success Stories
                  Level 7
                  Hi Ian.

> Mr. Cameron

That's my dad.

> I did read your post. And the point I was trying to make is that I
                  > believe a lot of Flex development is going to be in BACK END systems
                  > that may not make $ for a company in a straight forward manor. At least
                  > in these early days.
                  > ...
                  > What this application does is save us money by making our recruiters more efficient

Well there you go. As you say, that's monetarily benefiting the company.

My "increase sales from x to y" was an example, and perhaps the most easy
                  to measure. How do you measure that your recruiters ARE more efficient?

--
                  Adam
                  • 6. Re: Flex Success Stories
                    Level 7
                    My "increase sales from x to y" was an example, and perhaps the most
                    easy to measure. How do you measure that your recruiters ARE more
                    efficient?

They can spend more time scheduling more drives since they have much
                    less paperwork to do for each mobile drive and that we are meeting our
                    blood collection goals more frequently. This is the improvement we saw
                    when we implemented an CF/HTML application three years ago.

I am in the process of rebuilding this application into a CF/FLEX
                    solution, so we have obviously not seen any improvement here yet, they
                    can't use it until I finish. But for the pieces I have shown them they
                    are very excited. I would say there are going to be two savings here.
                    I am implementing a much slicker, very desktop like UI much easier and
                    quicker then if I had tried to do the same in a HTML|DHTML|AJAX
                    techniques. So there is saving in my time. I am building new features
                    that will allow the recruiters to create new drives, which is something
                    that is still a very paper intensive process that does not exist in the
                    current application. This will make it a bit harder to measure since
                    there will not be an HTML version of this functionality to compare
                    against. But since I can do at least some of this with Flex wizards, my
                    development time is defiantly shorter.

But overall, FLEX is allowing me to delver features that have long been
                    requested, but where difficult and time consuming to develop with older
                    technologies.
                    • 7. Re: Flex Success Stories
                      Level 7
                      Hi Ian
                      Very useful answer, cheers.

Out of interest, I'd be keen to see some screen caps of your UI if you'd be
                      prepared to let me see them. No probs if not. You can email me here:
                      adam_junk@hotmail.com. From there I'll give you my proper email address.

--
                      Adam
                      • 8. Re: Flex Success Stories
                        Level 7
                        Hi Ian

--
                        Adam
                        • 9. Re: Flex Success Stories
                          Level 7
                          Hi Ian

--
                          Adam
                          • 10. Re: Flex Success Stories
                            Level 7
                            Hi Ian

--
                            Adam
                            • 11. Re: Flex Success Stories
                              Level 7
                              Hi Ian

--
                              Adam
                              • 12. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                Level 7
                                Hi Ian

--
                                Adam
                                • 13. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                  Level 7
                                  Hi Ian

--
                                  Adam
                                  • 14. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                    Level 7
                                    Hi Ian

--
                                    Adam
                                    • 15. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                      Level 7
                                      Hi Ian

--
                                      Adam
                                      • 16. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                        Level 7
                                        Hi Ian

--
                                        Adam
                                        • 17. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                          Level 7
                                          Hi Ian

--
                                          Adam
                                          • 18. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                            Level 7
                                            Hi Ian

--
                                            Adam
                                            • 19. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                              Level 7
                                              Hi Ian

--
                                              Adam
                                              • 20. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                Level 7
                                                Hi Ian

--
                                                Adam
                                                • 21. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                  Level 7
                                                  Hi Ian

--
                                                  Adam
                                                  • 22. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                    Level 7
                                                    Hi Ian

--
                                                    Adam
                                                    • 23. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                      Level 7
                                                      Hi Ian

--
                                                      Adam
                                                      • 24. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                        Level 7
                                                        Hi Ian

--
                                                        Adam
                                                        • 25. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                          Level 7
                                                          Hi Ian

--
                                                          Adam
                                                          • 26. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                            Level 7
                                                            Hi Ian

--
                                                            Adam
                                                            • 27. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                              Level 7
                                                              Hi Ian

--
                                                              Adam
                                                              • 28. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                                Level 7
                                                                Hi Ian

--
                                                                Adam
                                                                • 29. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                                  Level 7
                                                                  Hi Ian

--
                                                                  Adam
                                                                  • 30. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                                    Level 7
                                                                    Hi Ian

--
                                                                    Adam
                                                                    • 31. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                                      Level 7
                                                                      Hi Ian

--
                                                                      Adam
                                                                      • 32. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                                        Level 7
                                                                        Hi Ian

--
                                                                        Adam
                                                                        • 33. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                                          Level 7
                                                                          Hi Ian

--
                                                                          Adam
                                                                          • 34. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                                            Level 7
                                                                            Hi Ian

--
                                                                            Adam
                                                                            • 35. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                                              Level 7
                                                                              Hi Ian

--
                                                                              Adam
                                                                              • 36. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                                                Level 7
                                                                                Hi Ian

--
                                                                                Adam
                                                                                • 37. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                                                  Level 7
                                                                                  Hi Ian

--
                                                                                  Adam
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                                                    Level 7
                                                                                    Hi Ian

--
                                                                                    Adam
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Flex Success Stories
                                                                                      Level 7
                                                                                      Hi Ian

--
                                                                                      Adam
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next