3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2006 3:58 PM by BRUSHfire

Anyone know how to do this...

BRUSHfire
      I'm very new to web design and i just saw this site that has pushed me full-on into learning how to do this...
      I'm assuming it was created using flash - it blows me away how simple it all is, yet I have no idea what's going on in it! I just bought Flash software so I'll learn it and play around, but I'd really love to learn some of the techniques this guy uses in his personal site. Things like: did he draw each item in flash? How do the images fade in the way they do - as if they're being painted in? How did he create a new mouse point cursor when you enter the window? Does it all work with rollovers?
      Go here to see what I'm talking about:
      www.jonathanyuen.com
        • 1. Re: Anyone know how to do this...
          Level 7
          there is simply too much to list - it's not *that* simple - but most of it uses basic flash or
          functionality that has been around for several versions - like replacing the cirsor with your own
          custom cursor was available since verion 3 or 4 - it was so widely used back then it quickly became
          cliche - so we didnt see it much anymore - but this site uses it in a nice way.

you can import bbbitmap images inbto flash - and it looks obvious most of his graphics are not
          vector based - so i assume they were made in photoshop and imported in.

as for fading effects - look in help docs and learn about motion tweens, symbols, movie clips,
          timeline, filters, etc....you need to understand how flash works before trying to figure out how a
          site like that was made - if we spent the time to type it all out, you wouldn't understand the
          terminology anyway - stuff like nesting and actionscript etc...

what is your skill level already with flash?

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com

BRUSHfire wrote:
          > I'm very new to web design and i just saw this site that has pushed me full-on
          > into learning how to do this...
          > I'm assuming it was created using flash - it blows me away how simple it all
          > is, yet I have no idea what's going on in it! I just bought Flash software so
          > I'll learn it and play around, but I'd really love to learn some of the
          > techniques this guy uses in his personal site. Things like: did he draw each
          > item in flash? How do the images fade in the way they do - as if they're being
          > painted in? How did he create a new mouse point cursor when you enter the
          > window? Does it all work with rollovers?
          > Go here to see what I'm talking about:
          > www.jonathanyuen.com
          >
          • 2. Re: Anyone know how to do this...
            Nickels55 Level 2
            Look up the use of masks and also tweening vs frame by frame animation.
            You will find that it is easy to hide the mouse and have an image become the cursor.

You need to learn to walk before you can run a marathon. Settle down and learn the basics of Flash.

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/flash/index.htm

Good Luck
            • 3. Re: Anyone know how to do this...
              BRUSHfire Level 1
              Thanks for the input...
              My skill level with Flash would be beginner, but my skill level with HTML websites I'd say is intermediate - like I said this is all new to me but once I sit down and start playing with this and learning the basics I know I'll catch on quite quick. Practice is everything I've found.