5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2006 8:26 PM by Newsgroup_User

Importing graphics types

mic822
      Hello, I am trying to import a png or tiff file to my library and it somehow appears as a bitmap instead, does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance

-michelle
        • 1. Re: Importing graphics types
          Level 7
          not sure I follow - PNG and TIFF are bitmaps, so it is expected that they appear as such.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com

mic822 wrote:
          > Hello, I am trying to import a png or tiff file to my library and it somehow appears as a bitmap instead, does anyone know what the problem might be?
          >
          > Thanks in advance
          >
          > -michelle
          • 2. Re: Importing graphics types
            mic822 Level 1
            oh okay, I didnt know that they were the same thing, I thought it was converting it to a .bmp

Thanks for your time
            • 3. Re: Importing graphics types
              Level 7
              a BMP is a bitmap also - PNGs, TIFFS, BMPs - all bitmap format. Flash keeps them as they are when
              you import them - when you publish your movie, flash uses jpg compression that you can adjust.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
              --> www.mudbubble.com
              --> www.keyframer.com

mic822 wrote:
              > oh okay, I didnt know that they were the same thing, I thought it was converting it to a .bmp
              >
              > Thanks for your time
              • 4. Re: Importing graphics types
                Level 7
                >a BMP is a bitmap also - PNGs, TIFFS, BMPs - all bitmap format. Flash keeps
                >them as they are when you import them - when you publish your movie, flash
                >uses jpg compression that you can adjust.

That's not exactly true re what happens when you publish (for those who are
                interested in a little more detail)

There are seven different formats that Flash can use in the SWF file itself

There are five lossless formats:
                * 8 bits-per-pixel paletted bitmap image with 24-bit pallete, zip compressed
                * 8 bits-per-pixel paletted bitmap image with 32-bit (including alpha)
                pallete, zip compressed
                * 16 bits-per-pixel bitmap image, with 5-bit each for R,G,B (ie limited
                colors)
                * 32 bits-per-pixel bitmap image, with no alpha, zip compressed
                * 32 bits-per-pixel bitmap image, with alpha, zip compressed
                And two lossy formats:
                * JPEG image (non-progressive, RGB only)
                * JPEG image (non-progressive, RGB only) with separate alpha 'bitmap' that
                is zipped compressed

Imported images are decompressed and recompressed to one of these formats on
                export

EXCEPT .. you can choose to keep and non-progressive RGB-only JPEG images as
                they are and just pass them directly thru to the SWF file without
                decompression and recompression.

Flash does not give you a lot of control over how it exports, and in the
                end, the only thing that matters is the quality and file size
                --
                Jeckyl

• 5. Re: Importing graphics types
                  Level 7
                  > There are five lossless formats:
                  > * 8 bits-per-pixel paletted bitmap image with 24-bit pallete, zip compressed
                  > * 8 bits-per-pixel paletted bitmap image with 32-bit (including alpha)
                  > pallete, zip compressed
                  > * 16 bits-per-pixel bitmap image, with 5-bit each for R,G,B (ie limited
                  > colors)
                  > * 32 bits-per-pixel bitmap image, with no alpha, zip compressed
                  > * 32 bits-per-pixel bitmap image, with alpha, zip compressed
                  > And two lossy formats:
                  > * JPEG image (non-progressive, RGB only)
                  > * JPEG image (non-progressive, RGB only) with separate alpha 'bitmap' that
                  > is zipped compressed

Hi there Rog, thanks for the info :) good to know