• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gray page icon

Participant ,
Sep 25, 2006 Sep 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find this in the Robo doc. I have a blue icon that I move over to the TOC tree in the Printed Doc dialog. It turns gray. RoboHelp no longer recognizes it. If blue means indexed or in the contents, does gray mean dead? Why? How can I get Robo to use this? The other entries are used in the same places but aren't gray.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 25, 2006 Sep 25, 2006
MaxWedge426

Are you using conditional tags at the topic level?

If you are, you'll probably find that the 'Conditional Build Expression' set on the first screen of the Printed Document dialog actually excludes the topic you've included in the Chapter Layout on the second screen.

The blue icon occurs when you have moved the topic from the left pane to the right pane. If you've moved an entire book from the TOC and there was a topic under that book that will be excluded because of the Conditio...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What?

There's a major topic on my site about printed documentation but I don't recognise what you are talking about with blue and grey icons.

A book with a blue highlight indicates a book with all its topics in the print layout, is that what you are referring to?

See if the topic helps. If not, perhaps with reference to the topic, you can explain this a bit more clearly? Then I'll be happy to try to help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a blue book, Peter; it's a gray page icon, which I've never seen before, and I started teaching RoboHelp in the early 90's. A blue page icon means the topic is either indexed and/or in the Contents already - according to the RoboHelp X5 Help file.

I can't explain it with any more clarity or detail than my post. Here's the gist of it:

blue icon -> gray icon
why?

If your topic doesn't cover this, I'm a little skeptical that it would cover this, but I'll look-see. Hmm, nope. Lots of good stuff in there, though. ::sigh:: Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I was thinking books rather than topics plus I didn't look at the wizard and when you said TOC tree, I was thinking of the right hand layout rather than the left pane which by default shows the TOC view of your topics. Sorry.

Kathy's response is the answer.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MaxWedge426

Are you using conditional tags at the topic level?

If you are, you'll probably find that the 'Conditional Build Expression' set on the first screen of the Printed Document dialog actually excludes the topic you've included in the Chapter Layout on the second screen.

The blue icon occurs when you have moved the topic from the left pane to the right pane. If you've moved an entire book from the TOC and there was a topic under that book that will be excluded because of the Conditional Build Expression, the topic icon in the right-hand browse turns grey - indicating it will not be used.

You'd need to change your conditional build express to include the tag on the document.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2006 Sep 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"TOC tree" means the Chapter Layout window in the "Printed Doc" dialog, which shows a view of the TOC tree to be generated. Unfortunately, Kathy's response is not the answer, but it is appreciated. I've tried it with tag on, tag off, different kinds of tags, etc., Boolean THIS and THAT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That surprises me as what I saw with a conditional tag exactly matched what you described.

Create a new project with say four topics and a couple of books, can you recreate it?

I am right in understanding that if you generate the printed output with the condition field set to None, you still get this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print Doc gets very confused when you apply conditional build tags at the topic level.

Remember that you have full control over which topics appear, and in what order, in the print doc setup. There is no need to use topic-level tags.

If you have tags for topics and conditional text within topics, don't use the same name for both kinds of tags.

Do not try to specify any complicated include-exclude conditions. Use exclude tags only. I know, the setup seems to accept a Boolean string, and it usually works OK in WebHelp, but (for me at least) always fails in print output.

Harvey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 03, 2006 Oct 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Harvey. I don't know what environment everyone else is working in, but I am under contract to a company that has spent large dollars doing things I would never have had them do, but alas, I am here to "finish off" heh-heh a project where things have been done wrongly. Sure wasn't my idea to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Rh 2017. I had a "Gray Page Icon" and it started when I modified 'Conditional Build Expression'; no issues with Responsive HTML5.

Build Expression Before:

--------------------------------

NOT HEFM AND NOT McKesson AND NoSpace AND NOT online AND NOT PFM (Note: I did not use the "NOT" after the 'AND" before 'NoSpace')

Build Expression Corrected After:

--------------------------------------------

NOT HEFM AND NOT McKesson AND NOT NoSpace AND NOT online AND NOT PFM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A grey icon means the topic is excluded from the output by the expression. That's it.

You seem to be saying that using the same expression in both outputs, in responsive the topic is included but not in print, correct? That cannot be.

Double check that the expression being used is the same in both and generate both to an empty folder so that there is no clutter from a previous generation.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 03, 2006 Oct 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Max,

Have you tried discarding the .ssl file for this print layout?

Not just in the RH Single Source Layouts setup, but -- with the project closed -- deleting the default Printed Documentation.ssl and (if it's still there) myspecialprintlayout.ssl.

When you open the project, RH will give you a new default layout, and you can re-do your custom layout.

Also, you could open the .cpd file with MS Access and view the table called LayoutList. It could be corrupted; you can delete a line for anything suspicious.
When you open the project, RH won't look for it.

Similarly, look in the table called MiscFileList

By the way, as you probably know, you should back up everything, etc., etc., before doing these things.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 04, 2006 Oct 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harvey, you are a font (no pun) of wisdom. I'll check this out today. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp