0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2006 5:22 PM by industrealis

LinkButton Padding/Sizing

industrealis
      I've been looking for a solution that will allow the user to click on a piece of text as if it were a button or link. The problem is that I can't seem to get the spacing and sizing correct. My first try was using a LinkButton object, which does exactly as I want it to except I can't figure out how to get rid of the excess padding around the button. There's a lot of space taking up but the padding and hover effect, so I was wondering if there was a way to shrink those so that I can get more linkbuttons closer together.

My next try was to use a regular label as <mx:Label buttonMode="true" mouseChildren="false" useHandCursor="true" text="1"/>, but the problem is even though this gets rid of the hover effect, it still has the same padding and click-target area as a linkbutton or regular button. I tried styling a regular mx:Button element to get rid of the "button-ish" look and found the same.

My final desperate attempt was to look into the programmatic skinning of components. I created a custom skin that extends mx.skins.halo.LinkButtonSkin and I overrode the measuredWidth and measuredHeight getters, using the code from the livedocs here.

I then applied this style to the upStyle, downStyle, hoverStyle, and disabledStyle of my LinkButton element, but it didn't do anything. The linkbutton's size and click-target area were the same as the default.

Any help would be appreciated.