5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2006 9:17 PM by Newsgroup_User

flash in this website menus

jagguy99 Level 1
      Hi

Does flash make up all of this website as i check the source code and I just see a flash embed?

[URL=" http://www.kingclub.com.au/"

I take it there is a scrolling textbox and the drop down menu is done how?
        • 1. Re: flash in this website menus
          Level 7

jagguy99 wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > Does flash make up all of this website as i check the source code and I just
          > see a flash embed?
          >
          >
          > [URL=" http://www.kingclub.com.au/"
          >
          > I take it there is a scrolling textbox and the drop down menu is done how?

yes, all flash

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: flash in this website menus
            jagguy99 Level 1
            Do you need to do a dropdown menu using flash, or can you use javascript for that?
            • 3. Re: flash in this website menus
              Level 7

jagguy99 wrote:
              > Do you need to do a dropdown menu using flash, or can you use javascript for that?

pretty much as you like. Flash is much easier to make menu like that than
              Java script tho as said, it's pretty much whatever is that you prefer.

--
              Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
              </urami>
              • 4. Re: flash in this website menus
                jagguy99 Level 1
                I prefer flash for a menu but many people complain they prefer not to use it . Maybe the files size is much higher than flash.
                • 5. Re: flash in this website menus
                  Level 7

jagguy99 wrote:
                  > I prefer flash for a menu but many people complain they prefer not to use it . Maybe the files size is much higher than flash.

With all honesty.
                  I have been using flash ever since its first version (flash 2). Big time flash fan,
                  working with it literally on daily basis for over 8 years. There are some projects I
                  will never consider flash for. I don't like the fact the you can't easily copy content
                  (copy paste), well you can live text selectable but it does not look as neat within
                  all the other flash content. You can't actually bookmark part of it and return just to
                  that part later on. Even tho we do have bookmarking ability (way to fake it), you still
                  need to load the entire file all over in order to open that bookmark section.
                  I don't like flash on sites that are meant to be information providing. Take for instance
                  university, cooking recipe sites or any where you should be able to flip back and forth
                  exploring multiple links with easy and quick download.

In some cases, regardless my long sentiment to flash, I will strongly advice against flash
                  usage. Some sites are so much nicer done in classic css and simply well design images or
                  beautify photography. So nice in itself that do not need to be wrapped into flash.
                  I do like the combo of HTML, CSS and Flash. Sensibly use to improve the aesthetics, and
                  because with flash is so easy to created really complex animation, you can have very great
                  results accenting your site with small add ons here and there.
                  Best example of my long time favorite will be KB Homes.
                  http://kbhome.2a-archive.com/
                  Very nice flash menu combine with Java script drop down, smooth roll over, neat colors and
                  generally eye pleasing. This is what I consider the best use of flash.

Now, core of my business is CD presentations and Microsites. This is when I will use flash
                  from A to Z. These are not meant to be long lasting. A Microsite exists for as long as
                  there is no new product to replace it. Usually lasts for 5 months. There is no need to upgrade
                  or modify the content. It has to be visually appealing, dynamic and aggressive to make
                  good impression of the product you exploring. Take for instance mobile phones or cars.
                  Often site like that will compensate for shortcomings or the fact that product it's simply not
                  as good as one from the competitors. You can manipulate it by adding on complex animation
                  and videos with good sound. These, as I said, are meant to have short lifespan.
                  Another type is when client simply want to add on content himself and does not know much
                  about Internet, computers or anything for that matter. I have been working for few architects
                  and Interior designers. I create CD which dynamically build gallery based on number of images
                  in the Cd's folders.
                  Navigation adjusts to the image size and reposition all the menus automatically. All they have
                  to do is add on jpg files into folder, my program makes list of it and build the presentation.
                  This is when I find most use for flash and for full flash made project.

--
                  Best Regards

Urami

--

<urami>
                  </urami>