6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2007 3:25 AM by (Kimmo_Kyllonen)

Show/hide column with ADDT created dynamic list

Hello,

I'm making rather large table from museum collection. The ADDT generates nice dynamic list from the information stored, but is there any (rather quick and easy) way of adding Show/Hide column toggle for each column generated. As the list needs to be adjusted to various reports, such option would be more than appreciated.

In other words, sometimes I wish to list all Items X from years XX, but I do not need the table to show anything else on that report. Sometimes I'd like to add other info like Date the item arrived, or maybe the collections name where it belongs... So, if you anyone knows nice sollutions, let me know. I have probably just missed some option that generates such fucntionality immediately.

Thanks,

KimmoK
        • 1. Re: Show/hide column with ADDT created dynamic list
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi,

much of what you want can be done using the Dynamic List´s "Filters"

Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Show/hide column with ADDT created dynamic list
            Level 1
            Günter,

I understand the filters allow me to 'filter' rows with wanted information, but can I apply also extra filters, like checkboxes, that once activated, will hide the entire unwanted column from the table? I believe that is possible, but could you give some rough guidelines how to proceed?
            • 3. Re: Show/hide column with ADDT created dynamic list
              Günter Schenk Level 4
              Hi Kimmo,

>>
              I believe that is possible, but could you give some rough guidelines how to proceed?
              >>

humm, you mean establishing extra filters (e.g. checkboxes) *outside* the list, which are supposed to show/hide columns within the list ? No, that´s not possible -- all you can have are those "per column" filter conditions (text fields, checkboxes, menus etc) you define when setting up the list, which already change the main query dynamically and "inline".

Günter Schenk
              • 4. Re: Show/hide column with ADDT created dynamic list
                Level 1
                Günter,

Thanks for the information!

so I cannot leave out undesired columns from a table in any easy way then?

I guess the option is to make a mastertable that shows only some information and the detail page that shows all details from single row in neat form.

Basically the mastertable with all columns is ok, but very hard to get printed out in any reasonable way, should I desire for example to print a list with just all items on it but nothing else.

Now that "tick-me-to-hide-this-column" feature would be cool addition on next version, Surely I'm not the only one who has very wide tables and thus would benefit from such function??
                • 5. Re: Show/hide column with ADDT created dynamic list
                  Günter Schenk Level 4
                  Hi Kimmo,

>>
                  so I cannot leave out undesired columns from a table in any easy way then?
                  >>

well, I *think* you can use ADDT´s "Show IF Conditional Region" behaviour within the list to, say, hide a column based on a certain condition like, "if field X has no value" or so -- never tried that so far, but I think this should work.

>>
                  I guess the option is to make a mastertable that shows only some information and the detail page that shows all details from single row in neat form
                  >>

That´s actually a very good approach which I´m using frequently -- by adding a "preview" link to the list´s records which passes the record´s ID to a "printer friendly" reports page providing a unique styling and of course a completely different "logic".

As I don´t want this extra page to interfere with ADDT´s "edit" or "delete" actions, I use to open this page in an extra window (target="_blank")

Günter Schenk
                  • 6. Re: Show/hide column with ADDT created dynamic list
                    Level 1
                    Günter,

I tried briefly the "show if cond..." but could not get it working. Maybe I should explore that possibility further.

I tried to add extra set of checkboxes on the masterpage, which by default were checked, then adding columns condition that "show if 'checkbox id' = 1". That did not work right away. The problem was that once you updated the page to show the new set of columns, the checkboxes were naturally in their first stage = checked. Then I tried to add the values in form parameters, but that got me confused. Maybe the answer lies somewhere there, but escapes me quite fully at the moment.

Please, if you get any ideas, let me know.

Thanks,

Kimmo