11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2009 9:45 PM by (WollombiWombat)

Using Gunter's Login tables: installation & configuration tutorial

Having read Gunter's excellent explanation of how to use the Login section of the ADDT Control Panel I thought I would have a shot at using this in the current site I am working on. This is a community site where users' are managed by the site administrator as well as the users themselves who will have the ability to change passwords, email address and username. There is no requirement for activation emails etc. etc..
      To achieve this I decided to use a Nextensio list and form. But it simply wont work in this situation. I was under the misguided belief that this would "register" a user without activation emails, click this link, etc...

For my situation, I believe I have to move away from the Nextensio list and form approach and use a custom list and Insert Record Form Wizard, Update Record Form Wizard and Delete Record wizard. Bugger !

So it would have been helpful if the tutorial had info of when and how to use the Login tables. I have found out the hard way that the Interakt/ADDT system has some wonderful built in functionality but there is no help available on how it works, what you can do or more importantly, what you cant do with it.

Hope this helps someone else in future.
        • 1. Re: Using Gunter's Login tables: installation & configuration tutorial
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi Wollombi,

if someone doesn´t need the usual ADDT user registration bells & whistles, a standard Insert Record form containing a user name, password and email field will certainly be sufficient -- apart from making these fields "required" also make sure to attach a "check unique key" behaviour to all fields to prevent form submission in case the user name, password and email are already taken.

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Using Gunter's Login tables: installation & configuration tutorial
            Günter Schenk Level 4
            What you can also try, is simply deleting the "Trigger_WelcomeEmail" and "Trigger_ActivationEmail" triggers from ADDT´s "register.php" -- never had the need to do this, but as this functionality is encapsulated in separate triggers I assume this should work.

Cheers,
            Günter Schenk
            • 3. Re: Using Gunter's Login tables: installation & configuration tutorial
              Level 1
              Hi Gunter
              Thanks for the suggestions. For my purposes as a "Super Admin" being the only type of user that can create Super Admin, Admin and Member user accounts, I had launched into creating a list (not a Dynamic List) and seperate Insert, Edit and Delete pages and got that to work.

Thanks for pointing out the Check Unique Key SB. I would have missed that. Then for the Site Administrators, I created a form so that they can update their details if required and next, based on what I learned from the experience just mentioned, I used a customised Dynamic List and Form so that the Site Administrators can manage Member user accounts.

All told it took me quite a while but I now know how to manage user accounts when the default Registration/Activation scenario is not required.

One day, someone should write a book on ADDT. That would sell well !
              Thanks again Gunter.
              • 4. Re: Using Gunter's Login tables: installation & configuration tutorial
                Günter Schenk Level 4
                Hi Wollombi,

------
                One day, someone should write a book on ADDT. That would sell well
                ------

sure, and in particular if I´d write that book in my native language German :-)

-------
                I have found out the hard way that the Interakt/ADDT system has some wonderful built in functionality but there is no help available on how it works, what you can do or more importantly, what you cant do with it
                -------

Agreed, but as ADDT comprises a pretty broad range of features covering lots of possible usage scenarios apart from how I personally use it to build stuff, I for once consider it sorta impossible to try writing tutorials which are supposed to cover each and every possible usage scenario.

As users in these forums - unlike you did now - usually don´t provide a detailed report about how exactly they´d like to use a certain feature in a certain context, improving my tutorials would have to be based on more detailed clues like yours -- but as long as this particular kind of response only happens to find it´s way into these forums maybe once a year, my tutorials either have to "speak" from my own experience or try covering repeatedly mentioned issues.

Cheers,
                Günter Schenk
                • 5. Re: Using Gunter's Login tables: installation & configuration tutorial
                  Level 1
                  Hi Gunter
                  Always appreciate your comments.
                  I guess I made a slip in the following:
                  -------
                  I have found out the hard way that the Interakt/ADDT system has some wonderful built in functionality but there is no help available on how it works, what you can do or more importantly, what you cant do with it
                  -------
                  What I should have said was the Interakt/ADDT "Login data structure" has some.....

ADDT is a wonderful boon to non-programmers like me and I am always finding new things to do with it. Now, if only the old CSS Menus system could be included I would not have to be going between DW 8 and CS4 for every site I create. I now ONLY create CMS based sites for my clients and the combo of CSS Menus and ADDT makes it a simple process. The only significant task is to style the public pages and create one or two custom pages. I love it !
                  • 6. Re: Using Gunter's Login tables: installation & configuration tutorial
                    Günter Schenk Level 4
                    Hi Wollombi,

--------
                    What I should have said was the Interakt/ADDT "Login data structure" has some
                    --------

all I can say from occasionally having a closer look at ADDT´s user login related code (that is, the libraries in the "includes" folder) is :: it´s a huge and complex beast which is hard to analyze unless you´re the one who has developed this stuff ;-)

-------
                    Now, if only the old CSS Menus system could be included I would not have to be going between DW 8 and CS4 for every site I create. I now ONLY create CMS based sites for my clients and the combo of CSS Menus and ADDT makes it a simple process
                    -------

Hmm. Well, IMO still using the CSS libraries of an extension which has been discontinued more than 2 years ago is a little risky -- not just because this extension hasn´t been updated ever since, but also because the MX CSS Menus CSS libraries can (after 2 years) be considered pretty much outdated, as they don´t take new browsers respectively new browser versions (and their individual CSS rendering quirks) into account which have been released since then.

Not sure if you´re about to shoot in your own foot when still relying on the underlying MX CSS Menus code, all the more you won´t be able to fix that code when your customer tells you that something doesn´t work with e.g. Google Chrome. What will you do then ?

Cheers,
                    Günter Schenk
                    • 7. Re: Using Gunter's Login tables: installation & configuration tutorial
                      Level 1
                      Wow.
                      What happened to the text size ? was it something I did ? Are u getting that as well ?

Have tested all my sites using FF, Chrome, IE 7 & 8beta and Safari for Win and all are OK.
                      However, I have an alternative developed which uses Spry Menu and that now works well with the latest SpryData.js file which saves over 100KB download of JS stuff. The thing that concerns me about using Spry for data (especially the site's navigation) is that it is rendered inside the browser which may present a problem for search engines. My solution here is to use a site map page that generates the links to active pages within the menu structure. I use the Nested Repeat SB for this.
                      • 8. Re: Using Gunter's Login tables: installation & configuration tutorial
                        Günter Schenk Level 4
                        -------
                        What happened to the text size ? was it something I did ? Are u getting that as well ?
                        -------

no issues here, so maybe you changed the text size in your browser :-)

------
                        Have tested all my sites using FF, Chrome, IE 7 & 8beta and Safari for Win and all are OK
                        ------

alright, but these browsers are sorta standards compliant anyway (even IE7 and 8 do behave pretty well), whereas the CSS "fun" starts when testing CSS based layouts with IE 6, which is regretfully still installed on lots of PCs, and which tends to mess things up pretty much.

Do yourself a favor and install "IETester", a free WebBrowser that allows you to have the rendering and javascript engines of IE8 beta 2, IE7 IE 6 and IE5.5 on Vista and XP, as well as the installed IE in the same process: http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage

I´ve just recently stumbled across IETester, and I really love it. Finally a chance to test stuff with a "virtual" IE6 or IE5 version, and once you do this you´ll note not just how funny your otherwise standards compliant CSS layouts might look, but also how certain Spry features happen to trigger javascript errors on e.g. IE6

------
                        The thing that concerns me about using Spry for data (especially the site's navigation) is that it is rendered inside the browser which may present a problem for search engines
                        ------

On public pages which require to get nicely spidered I´d personally only use Spry´s HTML data set feature in conjunction with an internal table -- unlike the XML related features this at least degrades nicely when javascript is deactivated.

Cheers,
                        Günter Schenk
                        • 9. Re: Using Gunter's Login tables: installation & configuration tutorial
                          Level 1
                          --------
                          no issues here, so maybe you changed the text size in your browser
                          -------
                          Nope- just the last few items in the thread. But then again this forum app is less that acceptable. Wierd errors, - get logged out in the middle of posting, -- oh well, its what we have so we must put up with it.

Will download IETester right away. Thanks for that.

Must admit that when I first readup on Spry HTML data I could not see how I would use it. Better take another look.

Thanks again.

As we say downunder...
                          Avagoodweekend....
                          • 10. Re: Using Gunter's Login tables: installation & configuration tutorial
                            Günter Schenk Level 4
                            -------
                            But then again this forum app is less that acceptable. Wierd errors, - get logged out in the middle of posting, -- oh well, its what we have so we must put up with it.
                            -------

This just happened to me too. Guess we´re going to expect some more glitches these days because Adobe will be switching over to a new "unified" forum system, and I can only assume that some tech folks currently experiment with the current forums settings ;-)

Cheers,
                            Günter Schenk
                            • 11. Re: Using Gunter's Login tables: installation & configuration tutorial
                              Level 1
                              The change over to the unified forum will be welcome.

Thanks for pointing me back to Spry HTML Data sets. I have realised I did not give it the full attention I should have earlier on. Will rebuild my menu system.
                              Cheers Gunter.