6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2009 6:07 PM by meinmichigan

Send E-mail > Send E-mail question

meinmichigan
      Hi,

Im trying out the Developers Toolbox and am trying to figure out if its right for me, and have very basic - beginning MySQL and php skills.

The tutorial at http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/9.0_ADDT/help.html?content=ch12_send_email_01.htm l is rather sketchy, when I follow the tutorial on that page:

"The Send E-mail trigger allows the site developer to automatically send an e-mail when a form is submitted. It is an AFTER trigger, and it can be executed after insert/update/delete/custom transactions.
      This trigger is accessible from the Application panel, Server Behaviors > + > Developer Toolbox > Send E-mail > Send E-mail."

well, when I try that, I get an error on the page which says:

"There are no insert, update, custom or login or delete transactions on page. Please insert an appropriate transaction first."

OK I am assuming that I need some kind of an html form open and on a page, however where do I start? Its as if the tutorials left out a huge chunk of the instructions. I realize I am no expert but if someone was buying the toolbox for the first time how would one know where to start? Do I need to create a new database table first? What kind of table? Can it be a table that is part of the site database for the shopping cart database that I already have linked to the store? Or does it need to be a seperate - database, table? Or just a php page with the form in it? Or does the form page need to be .html?

Or is the toolkit only for advanced developers with advanced php and MySQL skills and should I not even bother buying it?

Anyway can someone please give me a hint?

All I am trying to do is construct a simple email form for my web site which I have created in Dreamweaver and I need a php script to process the data inserted into the form and send it off to the mail server to forward to the webmaster's email address. I have the form created and brought up the form page, but then the Server Behaviors > + > Developer Toolbox > Send E-mail > Send E-mail. Tab is not accessible, and I am assuming that it wont be unless I have a .php file open, so I dont have a clue as to where to start.

So Ive got 27 days left to determine if its worth buying the toolbox, if I cant figure it out by then then I guess Ill buy some easier to use extension or stand alone to create my email form and other scripts.
        • 1. Re: Send E-mail > Send E-mail question
          DwFAQ Level 4
          Heya,

Have you seen this tutorial?

http://DwFAQ.info/home.php?id=4

Hope that helps!
          • 2. Re: Send E-mail > Send E-mail question
            meinmichigan Level 1
            Hi,

Thanks yes I have, tutorial step 1 was very sketchy, it had very little detail on the database setup or how to do it, just a screenshot with no explaination.
            • 3. Re: Send E-mail > Send E-mail question
              DwFAQ Level 4
              Unfortunately you have to possess a rudimentary understanding of how to setup a database. This is web development 101. Use something like phpmyadmin or similar to setup your database the screenshot shows an example of what the table fields should be and type (varchar, int, etc.)

Again, you need to know how to setup a database this depends on your host but it's basic development knowledge. Contact your host provider for info on how to setup a database.
              • 4. Re: Send E-mail > Send E-mail question
                Günter Schenk Level 4
                Hi DBS,

maybe my tutorial "Using a Dummy table: how to outsmart ADDT" will help you further, because it shows you how to insert bogus information into a dummy table in order to attach the Send E-mail trigger to this transaction:
                http://www.guenter-schenk.com/tutorials/tutorial.php?id=2

-------
                Its as if the tutorials left out a huge chunk of the instructions
                -------

I´d first start with walking through the handful of official ADDT tutorials posted on this page: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/application_development.html#addt

Cheers,
                Günter Schenk
                Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
                • 5. Re: Send E-mail > Send E-mail question
                  Günter Schenk Level 4
                  Hi DBS,

just some thoughts:

--------
                  So Ive got 27 days left to determine if its worth buying the toolbox, if I cant figure it out by then then I guess Ill buy some easier to use extension or stand alone to create my email form and other scripts
                  --------

honestly said: if sending form data via email is about all you want to achieve, buying ADDT or even trying to learn it would be overkill, as it comes with heaps of features which you´ll probably never need -- in this case investing in a stand alone form-to-email script seems a better solution.

Cheers,
                  Günter Schenk
                  Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
                  • 6. Re: Send E-mail > Send E-mail question
                    meinmichigan Level 1
                    Hi Apple User,

Yes I know how to set up a MySQL database, that much I know. I've done it on my remote Linux server and also have WAMP - phpMyAdmin installed on local XP PC.

It's where to go from there with the toolbox that I'm confused about. I can view a complete e-commerce web site from within Dreamweaver, see all the tables, create a site, link to a database from within Dreamweaver, etc.

Thanks for the info Gunter, actually I really want to learn the toolbox and thought the mail form script might be a good place to start, especially since i need one.