11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2009 8:48 AM by afamijann

Send Email not delivering emails to addresses other than yahoo

afamijann
      Hello,

I have an application that works well, built with ADDT with custom coupon payment gateway, verification and license download and the final step - sending email to customer after every successful transaction.

I have noticed that emails are not delivered to my business email account but whenever I change the email address to a yahoo email address and attempt a transaction the email gets delivered immediately.

The email address is pulled from a recordset from the current logged in user's personal information table.

Any idea why this is so? Is there a problem in ADDT as I would have believed that public email addresses like yahoo or gmail should be more difficult to deliver emails to as against fully functional non public email addresses.

I tried changing my password on this forum (Adobe forum) this morning and I got the forgotten password email sent to the same email address that may application has refused to deliver emails to so there is nothing wrong with the email address itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Send Email not delivering emails to addresses other than yahoo
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi Afam,

can you please check if the sent emails were possibly tagged as spam by your business email account ?

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Send Email not delivering emails to addresses other than yahoo
            afamijann Level 1
            Hi Gunter,

Thanks for your response.

I have contacted the support team managing my dedicated server and they claimed they got an email (sent to their email address) while testing the application (www.ijann.com/onspeed/tell_a_friend.php).

I tried to send email to another email address (other than yahoo) on my dedicated server and it was delivered immediately.

So, it means emails are not only getting delivered to yahoo email accounts.

But my business email address (not on my dedicated server) never gets any email from the application.

I have just sent an email to the support team managing the shared server where the business email is residing.

I will post an update when this is resolved. As you implied, it may be with the setting on that email account which is showing "More Aggressive Action" towards emails tagged as SPAM. Maybe the next step is to see the criteria for tagging emails SPAM.

Many thanks for your time.
            • 3. Re: Send Email not delivering emails to addresses other than yahoo
              Günter Schenk Level 4
              Hi Afam,

the reason why I was mentioning the possible spam issue is: by default one of ADDT´s Send Email functions doesn´t set the "Date" and "Return-Path" headers, what´s a little problematic, as some mail server do indeed tag such emails as spam -- this has occasionally been reported by some other users, and I´ve seen this happen with my gmail account as well.

If you want, I can post an easily implementable fix.

Cheers,
              Günter Schenk
              • 4. Re: Send Email not delivering emails to addresses other than yahoo
                afamijann Level 1
                Hi Gunter,

Thanks.

I would appreciate it greatly if you can post the fix so that I can implement asap.

Many thanks for your time.

NB: I need to post another issue on forms but I guess it would make sense to open up another thread so others who may be having the same problem can relate to it.
                • 5. Re: Send Email not delivering emails to addresses other than yahoo
                  Günter Schenk Level 4
                  Here you go:

1. open the file "includes/common/lib/email/KT_Email.class.php"

2. navigate to the function "getHeaders()"

3. insert a empty line after:
                  $arr['From'] = $this->getFrom();

4. copy/paste the following stuff into the empty line:

$arr['Date'] = date('r');
                  $arr['Return-Path'] = 'returnaddress@yoursite.com';

5. you´ll of course need to replace the "returnaddress@yoursite.com" placeholder with your real email address

6. the modified getHeaders() function should look like this:

$arr['Subject'] = $this->getSubject();
                  $arr['From'] = $this->getFrom();
                  $arr['Date'] = date('r');
                  $arr['Return-Path'] = 'returnaddress@yoursite.com';

Cheers,
                  Günter Schenk
                  • 6. Re: Send Email not delivering emails to addresses other than yahoo
                    afamijann Level 1
                    Hi Gunter,

Thanks for the fix.

The date problem has been resolved as delivered emails now have values for time sent.

However, I still cannot send emails to the business email account (still waiting for the support team to respond anyway).

I have emails getting delivered to other email accounts on the dedicated server I have control over but not on a shared hosting plan.

I am sending to a maximum of 5 email addresses even though the send email trigger has columns for "TO", "CC" and "BCC". I manually set 2 extra "BCCs" on the page but have noticed that emails outside the the original "TO", "CC" and "BCC" don't get delivered.

Any idea why this might be so?
                    • 7. Re: Send Email not delivering emails to addresses other than yahoo
                      Günter Schenk Level 4
                      Hi Afam,

------
                      Any idea why this might be so?
                      ------

regretfully not, sorry.

Cheers,
                      Günter Schenk
                      • 8. Re: Send Email not delivering emails to addresses other than yahoo
                        afamijann Level 1
                        Hi Gunter,

Thanks for your effort in trying to resolve this.
                        • 9. Re: Send Email not delivering emails to addresses other than yahoo
                          afamijann Level 1
                          Hi Gunter,

Sorted out the issue of extra "BCC" columns. I didn't need to do that, I forgot to list the extra email addresses in the "BCC" separated by comma.

Emails are delivered to accounts in the 3rd and even 5th fields.

Sorry to bother you with this basic error and thanks for your time.

I guess the only problem now is the email setting for the business email that never gets delivered and it seems to be an email server issue rather than this fantastic ADDT.

Afam
                          • 10. Re: Send Email not delivering emails to addresses other than yahoo
                            Günter Schenk Level 4
                            Hi Afam,

-------
                            Sorry to bother you with this basic error and thanks for your time
                            -------

hey, it didn´t bother me at all, and such question (and the answers) are even extremely helpful to other users who might have done the same mistake -- in other words: thank you ! :-)

Cheers,
                            Günter Schenk
                            • 11. Re: Send Email not delivering emails to addresses other than yahoo
                              afamijann Level 1
                              Just a quick update.

The support team managing the dedicated server stated that some ISPs reject emails without reverse dns set so they have set the reverse dns for the domain and have advised me to allow for 24 - 48 hrs to be certain.

So, I will be testing the application again tomorrow and will post findings just in case someone else runs into the same problem.