23 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2009 10:31 AM by Albert S.

Forgot password form not working

Hi,

I created a forgot password form for my web portal using dreamweaver developer tool box.I specified the MySql table which contains the Login information. Right now I am working only on a Local/Network testing server.When I test the page,it correctly checks whether that email exists or not, but as soon as I enter a correct email address, it gives me this error

Warning: require_once(C:\wamp\www\BCI\includes\tng/triggers/tNG_Email.class.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\wamp\www\BCI\includes\tng\tNG.inc.php on line 143

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'C:\wamp\www\BCI\includes\tng/triggers/tNG_Email.class.php' (include_path='.;C:\php5\pear') in C:\wamp\www\BCI\includes\tng\tNG.inc.php on line 143

I dont know if I am getting this error, because I am still opening it out of a testing server,but I dont think this is the line where the application tries to send email.Also, If I wish to test the mail() function by uploading the page on a remote sever,do I just have to upload the page and not change the database connection settings? I know this is a silly question, but I tried just uploading the page and not change the DB conn settings and it didnot work.
      Any suggestion would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Forgot password form not working
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi abdev,

-------
          require_once(C:\wamp\www\BCI\includes\tng/triggers/tNG_Email.class.php)
          -------

well, that path in here can´t be work, because it contains both forward and backwards slashes, and I wonder if the document in question has this absolute path set in the corresponding require_once statement.

How´s your Dreamweaver site been set up -- links relative to document or links relative to site root ?

------
          Also, If I wish to test the mail() function by uploading the page on a remote sever,do I just have to upload the page and not change the database connection settings?
          ------

are the username, password and database settings of your localhost connection identical to what you´d have to use on the remote server, or are they different ?

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Forgot password form not working
            Level 1
            Hi Gunter,

How´s your Dreamweaver site been set up -- links relative to document or links relative to site root ?
            ---------------------
            Under the local info tab,the links in my site are set up relative to the document and my HTTP Address is http://localhost/BCI/

I wonder if the document in question has this absolute path set in the corresponding require_once statement.
            ---------------------------------
            I dont see any file by name tNG_Email.class.php at this particular location, as mentioned in the error.
            C:\wamp\www\BCI\includes\tng/triggers/tNG_Email.class.php

are the username, password and database settings of your localhost connection identical to what you´d have to use on the remote server, or are they different ?
            ------------------------

Sorry, I dont exactly understand this question.My remote server is an FTP server and it has a username and password that has been assigned to me.I am able to connect to FTP, for connecting to my MYSQL DB, I just have to enter username:root and keep password field blank.I strongly believe that I am not able to connect to DB when I am uploading the pages on remote server.

I really appreciate you trying to help me out with this.
            • 3. Re: Forgot password form not working
              Günter Schenk Level 4
              -------
              I dont see any file by name tNG_Email.class.php at this particular location, as mentioned in the error
              -------

if this file is physically missing, it may well be that the whole "includes" folder (incl. its contents) hasn´t been fully generated. In this case please rename the existing "includes" folder to e.g. "includes_bak" and have ADDT regenerate it from scratch using the Control Panel.

--------
              for connecting to my MYSQL DB, I just have to enter username:root and keep password field blank
              --------

while this may be the only thing you need to define on your local server (that´s pretty insecure though), your remote server most probably will require a MySQL username and a MySQL password for connecting to a database.

In this case you´ll have to modify your current connection file, enter the username/password info you´ll need for the remote MySQL database and upload the modified connection file -- and once your remote MySQL connection works fine with the modified data, you can safely edit that connection file once again and revert the changes you made for making it work with your local server.

Cheers,
              Günter Schenk
              • 4. Re: Forgot password form not working
                Level 1
                Hi Gunter,

Your remote server most probably will require a MySQL username and a MySQL password for connecting to a database
                ------------
                How do I provide my remote server the username and password for my MySql database? Should I mention my system's IP as MySql Sever in connection window.This is what I read somewhere online.

Also, deleting and again creating the include folder with the help of ADDT, did not solve the problem. Now, its giving me an error

Warning: require_once(C:\wamp\www\BCI\includes\tng/triggers/tNG_FormValidation.class.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\wamp\www\BCI\includes\tng\tNG.inc.php on line 128

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'C:\wamp\www\BCI\includes\tng/triggers/tNG_FormValidation.class.php' (include_path='.;C:\php5\pear') in C:\wamp\www\BCI\includes\tng\tNG.inc.php on line 128
                • 5. Re: Forgot password form not working
                  Günter Schenk Level 4
                  Hi abdev,

---------
                  How do I provide my remote server the username and password for my MySql database?
                  ---------

it´s usually the other way round -- if the hosting company that´s running your domain already installed a MySQL database for your account, you should get this info from them.

As to that other "Warning: require_once" issue you´re still facing: I don´t know why exactly this happens, but all I can say is that the odd mixture of forward and backwards slashes in the displayed file path is definitely somewhat weird, because that´s - all in all - not a valid file path neither on Windows nor on Unix/Linux operating systems.

Did you check whether the "missing" files are physically existant, means that they have been created in the corresponding folder ?

Cheers,
                  Günter Schenk
                  • 6. Re: Forgot password form not working
                    Level 1
                    Hi Gunter,

After much deliberation, I could get the forgot password form to work.Thanks to your suggestions.
                    Also, I am still working on how to get it to send an email,by uploading it to the remote server.

Let me know if you have any suggestion.
                    • 7. Re: Forgot password form not working
                      Level 1
                      Hi Gunter,

I will contact my hosting company tomorrow and find out if they have hosted a MySql database.Thanks for all your help. I will keep you updated.
                      • 8. Re: Forgot password form not working
                        Günter Schenk Level 4
                        Hi abdev,

-------
                        After much deliberation, I could get the forgot password form to work
                        -------

Can you briefly summarize what you did to make it work respectively what the problem was ? This could be possible helpful for other users who face a similar issue.

------
                        Let me know if you have any suggestion.
                        ------

I´ve got some hints:

1. you´ll most likely not be able to send emails from your local server, as long as you didn´t set up a local mail server.

2. sending emails using ADDT´s Send Eemail behaviours will require a database connection, because these behaviours are tied to Insert Record or Update Record transactions.

-------
                        I will contact my hosting company tomorrow and find out if they have hosted a MySql database
                        -------

let´s keep our fingers crossed ;-)

Cheers,
                        Günter Schenk
                        • 9. Re: Forgot password form not working
                          Level 1
                          Hi Gunter,

Can you briefly summarize what you did to make it work respectively what the problem was ? This could be possible helpful for other users who face a similar issue.
                          ----------------
                          I created a forgot password form using ADDT's Server behavior after setting up Login Info in ADDT's Control Panel.When I tested it on my local testing server, it could not complete the request after email address attached with the A/C was submitted.This was due to file tNG_Email.class.php being missing from the include folder created by ADDT. As per Gunter's suggestion, I recreated the include folder just to be sure that process of creating that include folder was complete.But still I got the same error.The way to fix this is to go to ADDT's control panel and click on Update include folder, this will create all the required I suppose.
                          -----------------

all fingers crossed!!!
                          • 10. Re: Forgot password form not working
                            Level 1
                            Hi Gunter,

I called up my hosting company and apparently they do not host a MySql database and its very basic that they provide.So, Is there a way I can set up that MySql database on my local server and have my remote server talk to it?

Also if you have anything else in your mind to host this Application then please let me know.
                            • 11. Re: Forgot password form not working
                              Günter Schenk Level 4
                              Hi abdev,

-------
                              So, Is there a way I can set up that MySql database on my local server and have my remote server talk to it?
                              -------

I´m not 100% sure about this, although dyndns.com provides a free service which "allows you to create a hostname that points to your dynamic IP or static IP address or URL...so you can host a website, remotely connect to your machine, and run a mail server".

This obviously means you could unlock your workstation (or a certain directory as "server root") as publicly available www server, but then again you´d be opening a can of "security vulnerability" related worms, and I don´t think you´ll have the time and required experience to deal with such important matters.

-------
                              Also if you have anything else in your mind to host this Application then please let me know
                              -------

The only reasonable alternative is to have your website hosted with another shared web hosting provider that supports PHP & MySQL -- this usually doesn´t cost that much.

Cheers,
                              Günter Schenk
                              • 12. Re: Forgot password form not working
                                Level 1
                                Hi Gunter,

I spoke with my Boss regarding moving our website to another website hosting provider and he doesnt really like this idea. I think we will have to get started with hosting our MySql DB from our local server for the time being and make it talk to the remote server.I dont think, data on our server or anywhere is so crucial that it can be pose huge risk for us.

I called dyndns.com just a while back and it seems they dont provide any service where I can have my MySql DB hosted by them and my webserver still hosted by MegaPaths.Also, I googled for connecting Local MySql server with a Remote sever but unfortunately none of the stuff made sense to me.Please let me know if you have any ideas as to how I can connect my MySqk DB with remote megapath server.I really appreciate your help.
                                Thanks
                                • 13. Re: Forgot password form not working
                                  Günter Schenk Level 4
                                  Hi abdev,

--------
                                  Please let me know if you have any ideas as to how I can connect my MySqk DB with remote megapath server.I really appreciate your help
                                  --------

I fear I can´t add something of real value in this context, and it´s something you guys have to figure out either on your own or in collaboration with the megapath server admins.

-------
                                  I dont think, data on our server or anywhere is so crucial that it can be pose huge risk for us
                                  -------

Are you really sure about that, also considering the fact that websites are prone to get hacked ?

Of course I don´t intend to step on anyone´s toes with my comments, but I have to admit that I´m pretty worried about your "for connecting to my MYSQL DB, I just have to enter username:root and keep password field blank" remark -- to me this shows that you may probably not be aware of the risks of establishing such a 0% degree of "protection" which will make your database absolutely vulnerable when it´s getting accessed from the WWW.

-------
                                  I spoke with my Boss regarding moving our website to another website hosting provider and he doesnt really like this idea
                                  -------

Your boss and you should ask yourself some questions: are you guys capable and experienced enough to administrate a publicly exposed webserver the way a web hosting provider usually does, and what will you guys do when you´re getting into trouble like getting hacked and such ? Honestly, the few bucks you´d spend on a decent hosting provided by an experienced & established company will save you lots of time and trouble.

Cheers,
                                  Günter Schenk
                                  • 14. Re: Forgot password form not working
                                    Albert S. Level 3
                                    Hi All,

Whoa!!! what are you running mysql on, XP, W2K Server, WAMP, MAMP, Linux?
                                    • 15. Re: Forgot password form not working
                                      Level 1
                                      Gunter,

I really appreciate your candid opinion on this and I agree its very important to create a secure system upfront, so that we dont run into issues later.But as I mentioned in my previous post we initially want to run MySql DB from our Local Server and then eventually we will move to a different Website posting provider which provides Php and MySql. I again spoke to megapath technical support and according to them I can make remote webserver and local Mysql Db talk if I reference the local MySql DB in the code by mentioning its IP.So, this time I will change the default username : root and assign it a secured username and password.I havent yet tried it, but I am planning to do it.DO you think this will be a secure system?

Again, thanks for your help.
                                      • 16. Re: Forgot password form not working
                                        Level 1
                                        Hi Albert,

I am running MySql on Wamp and using phpmyadmin to manage this.Any Ideas as to how to connect this??
                                        • 17. Re: Forgot password form not working
                                          Albert S. Level 3
                                          Hi,

Wamp should not be used as a production server. I will setup a mysql database for you on a real server and send you the info. Does your database do any ecommerce? I don't want to be responsible for credit cards and such. If its a standard db then no worries. I'll set one up for you. No charge, it should tie you over until you get onboard with a new host. Sound good?
                                          • 18. Re: Forgot password form not working
                                            Level 1
                                            Hi Albert,

This sounds Awesome!!!
                                            My Database doesnt do any e-commerce and its pretty standard.It is simply a tracking application, nothing big.Please let me know if you need any other information regarding the application I am trying to develop.We are actually planning to host the DB through our internal server which runs on Windows Server 2003 edition, before we more to new provider.Thanks a ton for helping me out.
                                            • 19. Re: Forgot password form not working
                                              Albert S. Level 3
                                              Ok the account is setup. It's basically just a db account with no other services like email, ftp, etc. You can change passwords to your liking, etc. It has two databases available for you.
                                              • 20. Re: Forgot password form not working
                                                Albert S. Level 3
                                                Post your email so I may send you the log in information to the control panel.
                                                • 21. Re: Forgot password form not working
                                                  Level 1
                                                  Hi Albert,

My email is abhifriends@gmail.com.

Thanks
                                                  • 22. Re: Forgot password form not working
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Hi Albert,

I still have not received the Login Info.Please send it to me.
                                                    • 23. Re: Forgot password form not working
                                                      Albert S. Level 3
                                                      Hi Abdev,

I am not an early morning person haha. It was sent. :)