4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2007 5:49 AM by oicram

Export to XML Behavior and Recorsets - Questions

oicram Level 1
      Objective: Show mySQL database information and associated images in a Spry Repeat Region.

I know that there is a way to make an XML dynamic by using the Export to XML Behavior from ADDT. Nice.

And I can show the informations that are stored in the database in a "XML way". Nice to.

The problem is that in traditional way of doing things, I'm using the Filelist Recorset to show up the images associated with the records. (The images are stored using the Multiple Upload Image without saving to the database server behavior).

So, in this case, how can we show the information of the record associated with an image using, not the traditional repeat region, but the Spry Repeat region?

Can we apply the Export to XML Behavior not only in the traditional recorset but also in the FileListRecorset - Would this produce any results?

Can we apply a Spry Repeat Region to a Spry Collapsible Panel so that the detail information of the record can be "hidden" in a Collapsible Panel?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Export to XML Behavior and Recorsets - Questions
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi Marcio,

>>
          So, in this case, how can we show the information of the record associated with an image using, not the traditional repeat region, but the Spry Repeat region?
          >>

with SPRY only, and from the "generated on the fly" XML data. When it comes to *how* this is done with Spry, I gotta say :: RTFM, LOL :-)

>>
          Can we apply the Export to XML Behavior not only in the traditional recorset but also in the FileListRecorset - Would this produce any results?
          >>

I doubt this, as ADDT´s Export to XML Behavior is embedded in a "stand alone" page.

>>
          Can we apply a Spry Repeat Region to a Spry Collapsible Panel so that the detail information of the record can be "hidden" in a Collapsible Panel?
          >>

is that really related to ADDT ? ;-)

However, displaying XML data with SPRY is a totally different thing than displaying stuff from a PHP recordset directly -- that can´t even be mixed on a page, as none of both "methods" even know of each other´s existance and both use sort of "proprietary" technics.

And here comes my shameless plug, lol :-) You might want to read my Adobe DevNet article "Exchanging data using the Spry framework for Ajax and PHP" (subtitle: "Create a dynamic image gallery in Dreamweaver CS3 by retrieving images from a directory and generating XML data on the fly") -- that´s something I actually invented and wrote for folks who´d like to have a SPRY only equivalent of ADDT´s "File List Recordset" at hand. I think that most of the stuff you´re trying to achieve, is mentioned in this tutorial.

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Export to XML Behavior and Recorsets - Questions
            oicram Level 1
            I see... and I'm readling already the article but there is a big issue here:

>displaying XML data with SPRY is a totally different thing than displaying stuff from a PHP recordset directly -- that can´t even be mixed on a page, as none of both "methods" even know of each other´s existance and both use sort of "proprietary" technics". >

So why do we need: Export recorset to XML at all?

I have an advanced search page with several drop-downs, etc...
            All this information is related with a Recorset. What I dream of is, when the user clicks submit it will not appear a Repeat Region but a "Spry Repeat Region". How? Because we will using the "Export Recordset to XML behavior that will "generate a new XML file" eatch time the Recorset Changes.

But reading all the articles it seams that for doing work with the sprys I need a spry data set (instead of recordset), and for work with the "spry data set" I need to have a Filter/Search page also in Spry...

So, in a simple manner, this cannot be done?

Another freaky solution by:
            Márcio :)
            • 3. Re: Export to XML Behavior and Recorsets - Questions
              Günter Schenk Level 4
              Hi Marcio,

>>
              So why do we need: Export recorset to XML at all?
              >>

No. And as you´ll most likely - sooner or later - be stumbling across some cases where ADDT´s current "Export recordset to XML" behaviour will not be flexible enough (e.g. wrapping the contents of certain XML nodes in CDATA isn´t currently supported), and as the "on the fly" generation of XML data based on a query can in fact very easily be done with a little PHP coding, I can nothing but recommend learning this "manual" approach in addtion to using ADDT´s "Export recordset to XML" behaviour for simple tasks.

>>
              I have an advanced search page with several drop-downs, etc...
              All this information is related with a Recorset. What I dream of is, when the user clicks submit it will not appear a Repeat Region but a "Spry Repeat Region". How?
              >>

AFAIK, the SPRY help and quite some threads in the SPRY forums are about sorting SPRY data using drop down menus within the very same page

>>
              Because we will using the "Export Recordset to XML behavior that will "generate a new XML file" eatch time the Recorset Changes
              >>

yes, a sort of "virtual" file after all containing e.g. all up-to-date file contents -- but the "manual" approach would do the same.

>>
              But reading all the articles it seams that for doing work with the sprys I need a spry data set (instead of recordset), and for work with the "spry data set" I need to have a Filter/Search page also in Spry.
              >>

you´re a good boy ! :-)

>>
              So, in a simple manner, this cannot be done?
              >>

PHP is PHP, and SPRY is SPRY -- guess I´ve rarely provided such a smart answer, lol :-)

>>
              Another freaky solution by:
              >>

...Marcio as always, and you got another completely nonessential reply by:

Günter Schenk
              Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver :-)
              • 4. Re: Export to XML Behavior and Recorsets - Questions
                oicram Level 1
                >AFAIK, the SPRY help and quite some threads in the SPRY forums are about sorting SPRY data using drop down menus within the very same page

But not Drop-Down menus based on a recorset, only in a Spry Data Set.

Right?