1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 18, 2007 3:32 AM by Günter Schenk

file attachment field on a form

Hi everyone,
      Could anyone help me out? I wish to have a file attachment field on my ADDT form, so users who want to add extra information can attach it as an application file like ms word, excel, pdf or even jpeg. I also wish to display this field on my view page where the attached file can be downloaded or opened.
      Can you please show me if I need to create a column on my database to receive the attachments or just a folder in my document root to store the files. In the case of a database field, what should be the data type and other relevant details?
      Will be much pleased for your help.

regards,
      Mombazaa.
        • 1. Re: file attachment field on a form
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi Mombazaa,

well, it´s all in there :-)

>>
          I wish to have a file attachment field on my ADDT form, so users who want to add extra information can attach it as an application file like ms word, excel, pdf or even jpeg
          >>

Insert Record and Update Record Forms can have an additional file type form field, which allows you to upload a file to a specified folder on the server and store the file name in a database table -- please read some more about this in the ADDT help file (File manipulation :: Upload files)

>>
          Can you please show me if I need to create a column on my database to receive the attachments or just a folder in my document root to store the files
          >>

you´ll need an additional "varchar" column in the database to store the file name, and the folder where the file is going to be uploaded into, will be specified by you

>>
          I also wish to display this field on my view page where the attached file can be downloaded or opened
          >>

please read the help file´s "File manipulation :: Download files" chapter

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver