2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2007 11:02 PM by (WollombiWombat)

Documentation - or lack thereof

Hi
      I have made this comment before and would like to firmly place it on the record that while ADDT is a superb product it is drastically let down by third rate documentation. Gunther - are you reading this ?? Poor soul - gets all the flack - but where are the Adobe people ?? They should be getting it in the neck. There are many errors and omissions - and its now been several months since the release and still Adobe have seen fit NOT to provide the invaluable How To tutorials that were the key to getting a handle on how to use MX Kollection in the good old days of Interakt let-alone fix the existing documentation.

It seems like every time I open up the Help for ADDT I discover yet another error or omission. Can these be logged as bugs ??

Anyone know ?

And while I am on a rant - what happened to the new look forum ??
        • 1. Re: Documentation - or lack thereof
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi WollombiWombat,

-----
          Gunther - are you reading this ??
          -----

No :-)

-----
          Poor soul - gets all the flack - but where are the Adobe people ??
          -----

The Adobe Romania folks are nowadays not really free to set priorities on their own -- many of them are getting allocated to other development branches like Spry and of course the RIA´s like FLEX and whatever else Adobe thinks is more relevant.

All I personally can and will do, is to keep an eye on ADDT´s PHP Development & General Discussions - branches in these forums -- the PHP branch is now doing quite fine IMHO, also because great folks like you are now helping others as well, and I´m very thankful for this !

ADDT´s ColdFusion and ASP branches are regretfully lacking user-to-user support in here, what´s a pity of course -- but it must also be said that those of the Ex "Team Interakt" members who were nominated "Community Experts" like me and who could have provided their ASP and CF knowledge, regretfully didn´t take up their assumed "responsibilities" since then.

------
          They should be getting it in the neck
          ------

Well, by declaring *all* their product forums "user-to-user" as a matter of principle, Adobe itself gets out of the tight spot, so to speak -- the hard work is on purpose left to us "Community Experts" who are supposed to do just that.

The participance of the Adobe staff in whatever forum is regretfully never expectable, that said :: whoever needs official support or thinks he found a real bug, should let Adobe know by using the "wishform" :
          http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

------
          There are many errors and omissions - and its now been several months since the release and still Adobe have seen fit NOT to provide the invaluable How To tutorials that were the key to getting a handle on how to use MX Kollection in the good old days of Interakt let-alone fix the existing documentation
          ------

trust me :: they simply don´t have any time for recreating these truly valuable tutorials ! If I had the time, I would be willing to do that -- but maintaining these forums and help putting at least the PHP branch in good shape sucks up pretty much time already.

------
          It seems like every time I open up the Help for ADDT I discover yet another error or omission. Can these be logged as bugs ??
          ------

As ADDT forum sysop I could in theory also establish additional forums like "documentation issues" or (my favorite) "extending ADDT" -- I´m thinking about this for quite some time now, but I would have to rely on folks to not misuse these forums for ranting about unrelated stuff, and I would have to expect every participant to really stay on topic, what´s usually not the case in whatever forum. If a little "discipline" were something I could really count on, I´ll be happy to establish those forums -- could I count on that ??

------
          And while I am on a rant - what happened to the new look forum ??
          ------

they had to be rolled back to the previous state, because, well, some folks didn´t get their act together -- nuff said, lol :-)

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Documentation - or lack thereof
            Level 1
            Hi Gunther
            Many thanks for your diplomacy and comments especially the Adobe bug/feature request URL. Have logged a couple of bugs with Fireworks CS3 already...

If I had the time I would be creating a few Tutorials myself for ADDT. Oh well, maybe around Christmas if the workload decreases a little. I believe that Adobe have really dropped the ball relying on the video workshops. Remember when Macromedia included full tutorials and documented examples with their product distributions ???

Best regards,