17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2007 12:24 AM by cristinel@adobe

KTML and CSS Menus support

Great to see this forum for the new Developer Toolbox.
      As a heavy user of InterAkt products such as MX Kollection 3 Pro, KTML and CSS Menus I am very keen to know how KTML and CSS Menus will fit into the DW CS3 / Dev Toolbox environment. It would appear from the sketchy info available that they will not be supported. If that is the case, will there be KTML CS3 or CSS Menus CS3 or some other method we can achieve the same result provided by these excellent products ?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
          John, it seems that adobe acquired Interakt to discontinue their products and bury the amazing works that Romanian folks done in the last years.
          KTML discontinued
          CSS menu discontinued
          Kommerce discontinued
          phakt discontinued
          ...and so on...

It's horrible, for all the designers/developers who loved that company, and who invested money in their products.
          • 2. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
            I am very upset. After trying out and loving the Kollection, I went to InterAkt to purchase it and was then redirected to Adobe. I then purchased the Developer Toolbox and upgraded to Dreamweaver CS3. After installing I found out that KTML is not included. That's one of the main reasons I bought it! Is Adobe planning on adding it back in later or am I just SOL? Very, very frustrating. They should have listed all the features that were previously in the Kollection Bundle but not included in the new toolkit. Such a dissapointment.

Does anybody know of any other programs/extensions that could possible be used as a substitute for KTML?
            • 3. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
              The Wackonerd
              Why upgrade to a system that is a step back, I dont get it, why would I want to make my life harder using the 'NEW' ADDT and CS3.

So I would need to pay out good money to go backwards in some features. Sure, that sounds right.

FYI. I do like the Spry framework in the CS3, it looks nice but untill I can download a demo I am not even considering upgrading.
              • 4. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
                Level 1
                >Does anybody know of any other programs/extensions that could possible be used as a substitute for KTML?

You could try DMXzone.com for their Advanced HTML Editor. Whilst it does not have all the features of KTML is is a reasonable alternative. Just dont expect any support as it is very poor compared to what we have enjoyed with InterAkt.

If you are happy to not rely on DW extentions, there is TinyMCE, FCKeditor, Soedit and many more.

projectseven.com have a nice menu extension and they provide excellent support. They have many other handy extensions and tutorials as well.

Also keep an eye on webassist.com where they have some good extensions for DW and provide excellent support. Signup for their newsletters.
                • 5. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
                  On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:49:52 -0700, Colette_Hanlon@adobeforums.com
                  wrote:

>Does anybody know of any other programs/extensions that could possible be used as a substitute for KTML?

FCK Editor http://www.fckeditor.com/
                  --
                  Steve Fleischer
                  steve at flyingtigerwebdesign dot com
                  Hong Kong
                  • 6. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
                    Level 1
                    Thanks for the replies John and Steve. I am using TinyMCE, which I am happy with so far.
                    • 7. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
                      Thanks for the info. Good to see a forum with like-minded people. I have used projectseven stuff and its all great. I think I will try the TinyMCE ...

All in all..it looks like things are going to be interesting. More work, but interesting.
                      • 8. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
                        Level 1
                        Having KTML was certainly convenient. I havent actually used the TinyMC, but it looks easy enough, and I imagine that it will get easier the more we do it.

I still havent gotten CS3 yet... I am still on the fence... but I am sure I will. I have so many sites built with those old Interakt extensions, AND their Ajax toolbox too.. that I am dreading making the switch.
                        • 9. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
                          I have CS3 still forced to use DW MX 2004
                          • 10. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
                            Level 1
                            Steve Fleischer, you ask: Does anybody know of any other programs/extensions that could possible be used as a substitute for KTML?

I miss KTML so bad to and really don´t understand that they are discontinueing it, but they are and so be it.

I have downloaded tinemce and find it very nice and easy to handle. Its free too, except if you want their imagebrowser and filebrowser. I believe this to be the best alternative to KTML and it even supports SAFARI for MAC.
                            • 11. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
                              FCKEditor and TinyMCE.

--
                              Alec Fehl, MCSE, A+, ACE, ACI
                              Adobe Community Expert

AUTHOR:
                              Microsoft Office 2007 PowerPoint: Comprehensive Course (Labyrinth
                              Publications)
                              Welcome to Web Design and HTML (Labyrinth Publications)

CO-AUTHOR:
                              Microsoft Office 2007: Essentials (Labyrinth Publications)
                              Computer Concepts and Vista (Labyrinth Publications)
                              Mike Meyers' A+ Guide to Managing and Troubleshooting PCs (McGraw-Hill)
                              Internet Systems and Applications (EMC Paradigm)
                              • 12. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
                                Level 1
                                I think that Adobe does not understand that the suit that InterAKT put together sells because of the completeness of its tool set. Taking it apart and offering only what they see as key components does not constitute a viable product.
                                • 13. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
                                  I sure miss KTML.
                                  I brought it about two years ago. And now I can't use it since it doesn't even run on CS3. It trully was a step back.
                                  Adobe should reconsider bring this great product back.
                                  • 14. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
                                    Level 1
                                    Hi -

Does anyone have an alternative to MX CSS menus?

Bjørn-T
                                    • 15. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
                                      veematics
                                      Can Community create a wishlist to Adobe Romanian to build KTML for CS3.. i try TinyMCE it's far below KTML since it's lack of feature like dynamic folder for specified USER..etc

Hope there will be KTML CS3
                                      • 16. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
                                        Level 1
                                        Hi Folks
                                        I have made a petition form on my server.
                                        I also believe that bringing back KTML would serve so great for so many.

Please consider filling out this petition to bring back KTML.

http://www.scomer.dk/bringbackktml/petition.php

Kind Regards Sofus Comer
                                        • 17. Re: KTML and CSS Menus support
                                          cristinel@adobe Adobe Employee
                                          Hello Bjørn-Tore,

MX CSS Menus has been discontinued as its functionality is partially covered by the Spry Menu bar feature set. This is also integrated into Dreamweaver CS3 and can be used to create static CSS menus. Dynamic menus can also be created with some little hand coding.

To see a demo of the Spry Menu Bar, you can visit the feature sample page: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/samples/menubar/MenuBarSample.html

To learn more on Spry, please visit the project main page on Adobe Labs: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/

Best regards,

Cristinel

-------------------
                                          Cristinel Anastasoaie
                                          Product Manager
                                          Adobe Systems Romania