1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 2, 2007 4:10 AM by Günter Schenk

Dynamic Lists help please

mrcharis2003@yahoo.c
      Hi ADDT is great as are all adobes products.
      Have been using ADDT for a while now and had no real problems.
      Have got user registration / login email activation working like a charm... but....

I am trying to create a page on my site for people to submit their own tongue-twisters. I would like their new tongue twisters to be automatically inserted into a list into a tongue twister list on another page.(A list which is not editable on the same page ).

I can create a form using the create dynamic form wizard and use it to insert a new tongue twister into my database..... this far I can do ok..... but...
      What next? I use the dynamic List wizard to create a list which grabs the tongue twisters from my database inserts them and automatically grows when I insert a new tongue twister but......
      the list has lots of buttons and other stuff around it which I don't need.(edit,filter etc etc). I just want the list to display tongue-twisters
      with nothing more than a heading for the list a comment and number for each tongue-twister.
      Am I using the right tool? Is the dynamic list wizard the right tool? or is
      it used for something else, I haven't figured out yet. If not what tool do I use to create the list I need? Can anyone help me? Does anyone know of any tutorials which teach similar things?
      Any help would be much appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Dynamic Lists help please
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi,

you´re right, in this case the features provided by an ADDT list are overkill -- I suggest to rather create a custom-made list where you put the required information in a table and apply a regular DW "Repeat Region" to the 2nd table row which contains the dynamic data.

In order to make this list display the current user´s tongue twisters only, you´ll need to create a query like:

"SELECT twister_id, twister_headline FROM twister_table WHERE twister_userid" equals ADDT´s session variable "kt_login_id" -- I assume that you´re storing this value with each tongue twister record.

In addition you might want to order the records by "twister_id DESC" (descending) to display the latest tongue twister record first.

However, on this list you´d just need to add a link to an ADDT "insert record" page, which will simply have to redirect to that list after successfully inserting the new record.

BTW, all manually created PHP pages which utilize a session variable will have to provide an

on the very first line in order to correctly detect the session.

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver