10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2007 1:44 PM by (symvar)

developer toolbox enhanced page integration into existing website

Dear reader,

I'm having some problems when i try to integrate (for example) a login form created with DW CS3 and the developer toolbox into an existing website.

The registration/login forms and all work fine when i test them 'standalone', but problems arise when i try to integrate everything into an existing website using php includes. Obviously on the first try to include the complete login page into the content of the website; headers were send multiple times and header and body tags appeared on the wrong places inside the content of the website, so i separated the login form page into 3 parts (initial part that gets included before the header starts - a header part to include inside the header tags - and a body part to include as content inside the body tags).

Also this attempt failed and i know this cant be the correct way of doing this thing.

Could anyone maybe give me a clue or hint what would be the correct 'workflow' when i try to achieve this? Or maybe someone has experience with this issue?

mucho kind regards :)

symvar
        • 1. Re: developer toolbox enhanced page integration into existing website
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi symvar,

using regular PHP "includes" in this context can be a weird thing -- because doing so would in fact require you to strip the document´s head and body from e.g. ADDT´s login page, as the "container" document already has these components.

However, ADDT´s login page provides some other important components which apparently will need to get moved to the appropriate places in your container page in order to maintain the functionality:

1. everything that´s preceeding the document´s "DOCTYPE"

2. everything within the doc´s "head"

Other than that, the only to-be-included stuff will have to be what´s available within the login page´s "body", and as I said, in the end you´ll have to strip all other parts.

Just try that, but don´t forget to make a backup of the original login page :-)

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: developer toolbox enhanced page integration into existing website
            <Günter_Schenk@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3c05525b.0@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Hi symvar,<br />><br />> using regular PHP "includes" in this context can be a weird thing --  <br />> because doing so would in fact require you to strip the document´s head <br />> and body from e.g. ADDT´s login page, as the "container" document already <br />> has these components.<br /><br />Isn't that exactly what MXIncludes did, did they remove that from the ADDT?<br /><br />Joris
            • 3. Re: developer toolbox enhanced page integration into existing website
              Günter Schenk Level 4
              Hi Joris,

the equivalent of "MX Includes" is still in there.

Cheers,
              Günter Schenk
              Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
              • 4. Re: developer toolbox enhanced page integration into existing website
                Level 1
                <symvar@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3c05525b.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Dear reader,<br />><br />> I'm having some problems when i try to integrate (for example) a login <br />> form created with DW CS3 and the developer toolbox into an existing <br />> website.<br />><br />> The registration/login forms and all work fine when i test them <br />> 'standalone', but problems arise when i try to integrate everything into <br />> an existing website using php includes. Obviously on the first try to <br />> include the complete login page into the content of the website; headers <br />> were send multiple times and header and body tags appeared on the wrong <br />> places inside the content of the website, so i separated the login form <br />> page into 3 parts (initial part that gets included before the header <br />> starts - a header part to include inside the header tags - and a body part <br />> to include as content inside the body tags).<br />><br />> Also this attempt failed and i know this cant be the correct way of doing <br />> this thing.<br />><br />> Could anyone maybe give me a clue or hint what would be the correct <br />> 'workflow' when i try to achieve this? Or maybe someone has experience <br />> with this issue?<br />><br />> mucho kind regards :)<br /><br />Hi symvar,<br />the predecessor to ADDT, MX Collection contained an extension "MX Includes" <br />that allowed you to include a file while stripping html, head and body tags,<br />it seems this was removed from ADDT as I can't find any reference to it in <br />ADDT Documentation.<br /><br />As an alternative I've created my own implementation that works with <br />Dreamweaver Templates, the template markup facilitates extracting the <br />content of editable regions,<br />and re-inserting it into another template's region.<br /><br />The process is as follows:<br />Run PHP master page, capture output , parse regions<br />Run PHP included page, capture output, parse regions<br />Merge regions of both pages<br />Output merged content<br /><br />While it works, it also requires a decent understanding of PHP and isn't the <br />most efficient way of doing things because it requires parsing multiple <br />files with regular expressions.
                • 5. Re: developer toolbox enhanced page integration into existing website
                  Level 1
                  <Günter_Schenk@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3c05525b.2@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Hi Joris,<br />><br />> the equivalent of "MX Includes" is still in there.<br /><br />Ah I see, I must have missed it<br />http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/9.0_ADDT/ch13_reuse_content_1.html
                  • 6. Re: developer toolbox enhanced page integration into existing website
                    Level 1
                    Günter and Joris,

Thank you both for the reply's, i found the problem :)

I think i more or less did what the old MX includes used to do in the first place. The problem was; when i included the 'stripped' login form parts from a separate folder (below the website root) into my website the reference to the complete includes folder was broken because the includes folder was also in the folder where the form parts resided.

When i moved the includes folder to the website root the reference to the scripts and all were fixed and it seems to work like expected now :)

Awesome!

One more thing,
                    Am i right when i say that MX includes or the new equivalent do something like the process Joris explained above?
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    The process is as follows:
                    Run PHP master page, capture output , parse regions
                    Run PHP included page, capture output, parse regions
                    Merge regions of both pages
                    Output merged content
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    Because that would save the steps of 'stripping' sections of a page manually :) which would be quite nice.

:p thanks
                    • 7. Re: developer toolbox enhanced page integration into existing website
                      Level 1
                      <symvar@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3c05525b.5@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Günter and Joris,<br />><br />> Thank you both for the reply's, i found the problem :)<br />><br />> I think i more or less did what the old MX includes used to do in the <br />> first place. The problem was; when i included the 'stripped' login form <br />> parts from a separate folder (below the website root) into my website the <br />> reference to the complete includes folder was broken because the includes <br />> folder was also in the folder where the form parts resided.<br />><br />> When i moved the includes folder to the website root the reference to the <br />> scripts and all were fixed and it seems to work like expected now :)<br />><br />> Awesome!<br />><br />> One more thing,<br />> Am i right when i say that MX includes or the new equivalent do something <br />> like the process Joris explained above?<br />> ------------------------------------------------------<br />> The process is as follows:<br />> Run PHP master page, capture output , parse regions<br />> Run PHP included page, capture output, parse regions<br />> Merge regions of both pages<br />> Output merged content<br />> ------------------------------------------------------<br />> Because that would save the steps of 'stripping' sections of a page <br />> manually :) which would be quite nice.<br /><br />No that's my custom coding thing
                      • 8. Re: developer toolbox enhanced page integration into existing website
                        Level 1
                        Yes i know,

But it more or less serves the same goal right? The goal of merging a page including header tags and all into another page with header tags.
                        • 9. Re: developer toolbox enhanced page integration into existing website
                          Level 1
                          <symvar@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3c05525b.7@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Yes i know,<br />><br />> But it more or less serves the same goal right? The goal of merging a page <br />> including header tags and all into another page with header tags.<br /><br />I only know about the old MXI which could very well be the same as the new <br />MXI,<br />but it only strips tags from the output, it DOES NOT insert them in the <br />right place (eg head) in your master page.
                          • 10. Re: developer toolbox enhanced page integration into existing website
                            Level 1
                            Ahh, i see.. that makes it clear for me :)

ok thx