30 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2009 5:49 AM by (Paul_Taylor)

ADDT Locks up DW CS3

Hello, I am now experiencing the same problem found in the ColdFuison Forum where I can use the List Wizard just fine - but any time I try the INSERT RECORD Wizard or CREATE DYNAMIC FORM Wizard - Dreamweaver locks up - I thought that it may have to do with having Contribute enabled on my site, but I am not so sure. I have several sites all hosted on the same hosting company and I am having a problem with currently just 1 site locking up when I try the INSERT WIZARD so, potentially it is a database connection however, the LIST WIZARD works without any problem so that doesn't make sense to me as to why this not work.
      <<>>
      I even tried the site in Dreamweaver 8 with the old InterAkt product and it is doing the same thing there.
      <<>>
      UPDATE:
      Here is what I have done so far - we have moved the database over to the same server as a site that this feature works - that did not fix the problem.
      <<>>
      We ran the PHP Info on a site that works and one that doesn't - I do see that the versions are different, but I am told that does not matter - I am not sure what else I need to be looking at for I do see some difference in the PHP Core information.
      <<>>
      I am working with the Hosting Company as well but they do not understand why this feature locks up only on and INSERT or UPDATE wizard.
      <<>>
      Is anyone else out there having this problem or might know what to do to fix it?
      <<>>
      I am going to ask the hosting company to move the site to one of the servers that I know this works on to see if indeed it is a server issue.
        • 1. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
          Level 1
          FROM THE HOSTING COMPANY:
          Hi Joe,

It's hard to say what might be causing the problem since this is a 3rd party tool - we have no way of knowing what it is trying to do. The PHP version is different, but what is probably more telling is the version of the MySQL client libraries that are being used. There is nothing "broken" on the server side which is preventing this from working properly - we'll need some input from Adobe on how their insert record wizard is working in order to properly troubleshoot this issue for you.
          <<>>
          Not sure what to tell them - BTW, they will move the site over to the same server as one that works and I will keep you posted if that corrects the issue
          • 2. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
            Günter Schenk Level 4
            Hi Joe,

guess I finally understood that Dreamweaver locks up -- umm, that apparently doesn´t have anything to do with whatever PHP version is installed on a local or remote server, because DW itself doesn´t care & know of such "external" stuff when generating the pages, and the only error messages you´d get will be when the generated & uploaded PHP files don´t work, what´s a totally different thing.

This really seems to be a DW internal issue, so I suggest to provide a list of other installed 3rd party extensions -- maybe someone else has had similar issues when having extension X installed as well.

BTW, several users were facing some internal issues (but no lock up´s) when using table names such as "user", what led to errors with several ADDT components -- so a list of the table names you´re using would be good to have as well

Cheers,
            Günter Schenk
            Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
            • 3. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
              Level 1
              Hi Günter,
              Here is a list of other ext. however, I am not sure this matters since I can simply select a different site in DW and run the wizards without and problems - also, I am using the same table names on them as well for the most part since alot of clients want the same thing.
              <<Ext.>>
              Adobe Dreamweaver Developer Toolbox 1.0.0
              DataAssist by WebAssit 2.0.0
              Universal Email by WebAssist 2.8.0
              WebAssist.com eCart 4.0.1
              WebAssist.com SiteAssist 3.2.0
              <<>>
              <<Database Tables>>
              album_alb
              documents
              Events
              image_img
              page_pag
              user_usr
              • 4. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                Günter Schenk Level 4
                Joe,

dubious errors like this one might possibly be related to a corrupt DW cache file, so what I´d suggest to do is:

a) close DW

b) if you´re on a Windows system, go "Documents & Settings / your_pc_username / Application Data / Adobe / Dreamweaver 9 / Configuration" and delete the file WinFileCache-whatever.dat

c) start DW again, which will automatically recreate a new Cache file

does this help ?

Cheers,
                Günter Schenk
                • 5. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                  Level 1
                  Hi Günter - I did that yesterday when I was first having the trouble based on the information on the ColdFusion Forum - I am having the hosting company move the site to a server that one of the others sites I have is on just to see if that helps - I will keep you posted.
                  Thank you as always.
                  • 6. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                    Level 1
                    UPDATE:
                    <<>>
                    OK, we moved the web site and the database to the same exact servers as a site that this works in.
                    <<>>
                    STILL HAPPENING!
                    <<>>
                    Boy, this is crazy frustrating.
                    <<>>
                    I am getting weird errors on one of my login pages:
                    Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter

Warning: Unknown():
                    No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files)
                    <<>>
                    I have sent those to the Hosting Company to fix - I am hoping that once those are fixed, perhaps this will work - though I don't believe these are related.
                    <<<>>
                    QUESTION TO ADOBE:
                    What does the CREATE DYNAMIC FORM WIZARD do when it first opens that is DIFFERENT than the CREATE DYNAMIC LIST WIZARD? The LIST WIZARD Works - so why doesn't the Form one? I am hoping we can figure out what makes these wizards different when they open up to help us isolate the problem.
                    <<>>
                    As always, thanks for your help.
                    • 7. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                      Günter Schenk Level 4
                      Hi Joe,

error messages such as "No such file or directory" and "Failed to write session data" might indicate that your host didn´t yet define a directory (a php.ini setting named "session_save_path") where the session data is saved -- please ask them if that´s the case.

Cheers,
                      Günter Schenk
                      • 8. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                        Level 1
                        Thank you Günter - OK, the hosting company fixed that - but I am still experiencing the problem - so where do I look now? Is this an answer to this question?
                        What does the CREATE DYNAMIC FORM WIZARD do when it first opens that is DIFFERENT than the CREATE DYNAMIC LIST WIZARD? The LIST WIZARD Works - so why doesn't the Form one? I am hoping we can figure out what makes these wizards different when they open up to help us isolate the problem.
                        <<>>
                        Can I give someone at Adobe my hosting information and see what happens when they run the wizard to isolate the problem just to my machine?
                        <<>>
                        Not sure where to turn to now. Thank you in advance for your guidence.
                        • 9. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                          Level 1
                          PS - Could any of this be related to having Contribute on the site - meaning when I activate the INSERT WIZARD is it trying to Check In or Check Out a file hence causing the lock up?
                          • 10. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                            Günter Schenk Level 4
                            Hi Joe,

-------
                            Could any of this be related to having Contribute on the site
                            -------

no clue, but can you temporarily deactivate Contribute on this particular site and see if this still occurs ?

-------
                            OK, the hosting company fixed that - but I am still experiencing the problem - so where do I look now?
                            -------

tipp :: make a backup of the current page and try recreating it from scratch. Does this still happen ?

What I´m wondering about :: how do your pages work on your local testing server ? do you have one BTW ?

Cheers,
                            Günter Schenk
                            • 11. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                              Level 1
                              Hi Günter - I deactivated Contribute and it is still happening.
                              <<>>
                              the page I am trying it on is blank - but I just made a new page, and the same thing.
                              <<>>
                              "What I´m wondering about :: how do your pages work on your local testing server ? do you have one BTW ?"
                              I do not have a local testing server - not even sure how to do that - but I can try to see what happens - can you point me in the right direction?
                              Thank you as always for your guidence.
                              Joe
                              • 12. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                Günter Schenk Level 4
                                Hi Joe,

------
                                I do not have a local testing server
                                ------

that´s what I thought ;-) It´s really recommendable to install a local testing server and to develop/test your work on your computer before uploading the files to the remote server -- also because this makes debugging possible errors notably easier.

Please download "XAMPP" from http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

XAMPP (separate installers for Windows/Mac/Linux/Solaris available) is a fully-fledged local webserver (Apache/MySQL/ PHP 4 & 5 etc etc) providing a very easy setup and configuration. Just make sure to download the respective "installer version".

At this point I rather recommend to do that first and see if your pages work locally -- trust me, you really missed a very important step in regards to developing/testing PHP/database related stuff.

Dreamweaver itself provides a pretty great integrability with your local server in order to preview whatever ADDT page from within Dreamweaver

Cheers,
                                Günter Schenk
                                • 13. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                  Level 1
                                  Hi Günter - Thanks for the link - I have this installed now - so what do I do now? I assume I go in and MANAGE SITES and change what to what?
                                  <<>>
                                  Sorry to be dumb on all of this - it is all very new - perhaps there is a tutorial or something you can send me to - or do I just replace the TESTING SERVER information with the new localhost?
                                  • 14. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                    Günter Schenk Level 4
                                    Hi Joe,

for getting this to work, you´ll...

1. have to throw you current PHP files you´re developing into XAMPP´s "htdocs" folder -- this is where your local server expects the files to reside in.

Just in case you might want to develop more than one site (or "project") on the long run, you should create separate subdirectories inside XAMPP´s "htdocs" folder -- means to have each project´s files reside in it´s own subdirectory.

2. tell Dreamweaver where your current site´s files are now located. Fortunately there´s a pretty good tutorial available in Adobe´s Developer Center, named "Setting up a PHP development environment for Dreamweaver" :: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/setting_up_php.html

As you already installed XAMPP, most of this tutorial´s pages can be skipped -- but what´s a recommended read in your case, are the pages...

a) "Define a PHP site in Dreamweaver", and maybe
                                    b) "Connect to the database"

Cheers,
                                    Günter Schenk
                                    • 15. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                      Level 1
                                      Thanks Günter,
                                      I think I almost have this set up - however, when I go to make a Recordset I kep getting this:
                                      "Cannot display the remote folder http://localhost/xampp/achra-dev/ cannot be accessed of does not exist"
                                      <<>>
                                      I have Apache and MySQL running through the XAMPP control panel.
                                      • 16. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                        Günter Schenk Level 4
                                        Hi Joe,

-------
                                        ...remote folder http://localhost/xampp/achra-dev/ cannot be accessed
                                        -------

all your project folders have to reside inside XAMPP´s "htdocs" folder in order to have Apache recognise it -- you seem to have placed the "achra-dev" folder outside htdocs/, what will not work.

In case you did that correctly and "http://localhost/xampp/achra-dev/" is what you defined as DW´s "URL Prefix", you´ll need to change that to:

http://localhost/achra-dev/

Adding "xampp" is never required, and adding it manually like you probably did, will throw such an error -- Apache sees it´s "htdocs" folder as starting point for whatever URL Prefix anyway

Cheers,
                                        Günter Schenk
                                        • 17. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                          Level 1
                                          Hi Günter, I had that originally, and just changed it back and I am getting the same error.
                                          • 18. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                            Günter Schenk Level 4
                                            Hi Joe,

------
                                            just changed it back and I am getting the same error
                                            ------

guess we´d better check if that´s an Apache related setup error (which I doubt) or really related to some faulty site definition in DW.

Let´s check the first option:

1. start Apache/MysQL from XAMPP´s Control Panel

2. open DW, create a blank PHP page, and add the following line in Code View:

3. save this file in your xampp/htdocs/achra-dev/ directory as "index.php"

4. now open whatever browser, copy/paste the URL http://localhost/achra-dev/ in the browser´s address bar and go to that URL

5. what do you see now ? nothing at all - or some lenghty info about your local PHP setting ?

Cheers,
                                            Günter Schenk
                                            • 19. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                              Level 1
                                              Hi Günter - I see the stuff - i.e. PHP Version 5.2.4, Apache 2.0 Handler, etc.
                                              • 20. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                                Günter Schenk Level 4
                                                Hi Joe,

-------
                                                I see the stuff - i.e. PHP Version 5.2.4, Apache 2.0 Handler, etc
                                                -------

Thanks, that´s good to know -- because the server works as expected, and your issue is clearly related to something in your DW site definition, what should be easy to resolve. Phew :-)

Gotta know some of your current site´s details to compare stuff, so please...

1) go "Site" :: "Manage Sites" and click the "Edit..." button

2) click the "Advanced" tab and select the "Testing Server" category

3) "Server Model" must be "PHP_MYSQL", and "Access" must be "Local/Network"

4) what are the currently defined values for "Testing server folder" and "URL Prefix" ?

Cheers,
                                                Günter Schenk
                                                • 21. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                                  Level 1
                                                  Hi Günter -
                                                  Testing server folder = http:\\localhost\achra-dev\
                                                  URL Prefix = http://localhost/achra-dev/
                                                  <<>>
                                                  I hope this helps.
                                                  • 22. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                                    Günter Schenk Level 4
                                                    Hi Joe,

-----
                                                    Testing server folder = http:\\localhost\achra-dev\
                                                    -----

well, there we have it :: the "testing server folder" isn´t meant to contain any URL, but will have to point to the physical location of that directory on your harddrive, means something like:

C:\xampp\htdocs\achra-dev\

In order to have DW set the correct path, you can also click on the folder icon (to the right) to choose your site´s local root folder

Cheers,
                                                    Günter Schenk
                                                    • 23. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                                      Level 1
                                                      YAHOO!
                                                      Thanks Günter!
                                                      <<>>
                                                      The tutorial you sent made reference to the whole http: thing and I guess I got confused.
                                                      <<>>
                                                      and guess what the CREATE DYNAMIC FORM wizard now works, BUT the INSERT and UPDATE wizards freeze still. AHH, I really thought we were on to something here.
                                                      • 24. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                                        Günter Schenk Level 4
                                                        Hi Joe,

----
                                                        YAHOO!
                                                        ----

GOOGLE ! :-)

------
                                                        BUT the INSERT and UPDATE wizards freeze still. AHH, I really thought we were on to something here
                                                        ------

I´m now actually at my wit´s end, because I dunno what may cause this. That said, at this point I think it´s about time to contact Adobe´s product support and have them help you sort this out

Cheers,
                                                        Günter Schenk
                                                        • 25. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                                          Level 1
                                                          TO EASY OF A SOLUTION.
                                                          <<>>
                                                          First, thank you Günter for sticking with me on this! I appreciate your help!
                                                          <<>>
                                                          I did not call yet - but guess what I do not need to! I fixed the problem!! Though I think my solution is too easy!
                                                          <<>>
                                                          I was getting frustrated and said, what if I did not bring over the files from the site and just started from complete scratch on my new LocalNetwork - so I did that - created a new site folder - made 1 file - index.php and hit the wizard button - and it worked. So, that made me think, what if I totally DELETE the INCLUDES folder from my trouble site - and try running the wizard to re-create the INCLUDES folder. So, that is exactly what I did - and guess what...
                                                          IT ALL WORKS!
                                                          <<>>
                                                          So, all I can understand from this is someone the Includes folder got corrupt along the way - perhaps by Contribute or perhaps not for I still left that running this time around - the only difference is that in the first case, I turned on Contribute AFTER the Includes folder was created - so maybe something happened at that time.
                                                          <<>>
                                                          I will of course keep you posted - but so far so good.
                                                          <<>>
                                                          Thank you again for ALL your HELP!
                                                          Take care,
                                                          Joe
                                                          • 26. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                                            Günter Schenk Level 4
                                                            Wow Joe,

thanks for this response, makes me very happy to see it finally works :-)

I honestly should have thought of this reason too, but somehow it slipped through my few brain cells -- yes, sometimes DW generates ADDT´s includes folder just partially, and what I´ve noticed is, that at times transferring the includes folder using DW´s FTP might also not be reliable.

Apart from the occasional "includes not fully generated" issue, I´m nowadays uploading that folder to a remote host using a separate FTP client, what has always been notably more reliable than DW´s FTP for whatever resaon.

Cheers,
                                                            Günter Schenk
                                                            • 27. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                                              Thank you so much JRuoto.
                                                              I own you my life.

This has "saved" my job (not really!)^^
                                                              But it worked.

I Deleted the include folder and tried to insert a "inset record wizard" and there were no problems at all...

This has reduced my down time for my project to 3 hours.

i have seen that some of you has been "ADDT freezed" for a longer period ^^
                                                              • 28. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                                                Level 1
                                                                I am glad I could help!
                                                                Good luck finishing your project!
                                                                Joe
                                                                • 29. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                                                  Level 1
                                                                  My project is done.
                                                                  But I still have one question remaining.

I have done updated the include folder.
                                                                  And it worked.

But I'm having a problem with the "log in form wizard"!
                                                                  After I updated the include folder it still freezes.
                                                                  I have tried to delete the include folder and then update.
                                                                  And use the update include folder on the control panel several times.

Are anybody having the same problem?
                                                                  • 30. Re: ADDT Locks up DW CS3
                                                                    I had a similar problem and realised my router had reset itself with a slightly different IP ending in .11 as opposed to .10. Putting the new address into the 'manage site details' solved the problem

atb

Paul