6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2008 7:39 AM by glensbo

Update Record Form Wizard Newbie Question

I'm using the Update Record Form Wizard for the first time but I'm a bit puzzled since I created it and it looks good but there's no way to really update a record since there's no area that looks for a record to update. So it appears a lot like the Insert Record Form Wizard. So does anyone have a tutorial on how to use this wizard effectively so a user can choose from a list of records to update?
        • 1. Re: Update Record Form Wizard Newbie Question
          Level 1
          I have a suggestion that makes the update and new forms much easier. Instead of creating them individually, use the Dynamic Form Wizard and the Dynamic List Wizard. Do the Form first. This will create the update, add new and delete forms all in one.

Good luck!
          • 2. Re: Update Record Form Wizard Newbie Question
            Waleed Barakat Level 1
            Hello
            You can find what you look for here...
            http://www.amp-eg.com/Multi_upload/admin/products_list.php

and for the tutorials and how it done here...

http://www.amp-eg.com/Multi_upload/tutorials/part2/intro.html

thanks and have a good time...
            Waleed barakat
            • 3. Re: Update Record Form Wizard Newbie Question
              Level 1
              I actually just solved it on my own. But thanks for the help and the tutorials. Still got a lot of newbie questions to come!
              • 4. Re: Update Record Form Wizard Newbie Question
                What was your solution? I could probably benefit from it.
                • 5. Re: Update Record Form Wizard Newbie Question
                  Level 1
                  He probably figured out that he needed to pass the primary key of the record that needs to be updated to the update page. When you use the Developer Toolbox's update record form wizard, you need to tell the update page how to get the primary key for the record that needs to be modified so that it can pull that record from the database and populate the related fields of your form.

This can be done in several ways. On step 1/3 in the wizard you select the table that needs to be updated and select the table field that holds the primary key for that table.

Look for the 4 entry down that says Primary key equals:

That is where you tell the update form to find the primary key for the record that you are changing. There are several options.

Here are some hints for the easiest ones:

lets say your step 1/3 of the update wizard looks like this:

Update table: my_records
                  Primary key column: my_records_id
                  Primary key equals: set this to URL parameter in the dropdown and next to that enter something like record_id in the text area to the right of the dropdown

Then to get the form to work, pass the primary key of the record in the URL of your request like so:

http://www.mywebsite.com/admin/update_record_page.php?record_id=52

This will tell update_record_page.php to look for a table entry in your my_records table matching the primary key field my_records_id with the vaule 52 that you passed in the URL.

Another way to do this is to set the Primary key equals: to Form Variable and pass the primary key through a form field.

Hope this puts you on the right track.

Shane
                  • 6. Re: Update Record Form Wizard Newbie Question
                    glensbo Level 1
                    Adam

I will suggest that you use two other tools for solving your task:
                    "Create dynamic list wizard" and "Create dynamic form wizard"

The dynamic list pulls the information from the database and displays an edit button. Pushing the edit button brings you to:

The dynamic form (at another page) gets the information from the database - namely the record you choose.

If you have many records you are able to use the filter to search the different columns

Have a look at this page:
                    http://www.glensbo.dk/KINDERGARDEN/updateRecordFormWizard/addt4.php

Pick one of the records to edit and find the edit button FAR FAR to the right.

Hit the button and it will (hopefully) bring you to the page where you can edit the record one by one

The table is in danish, but for showing you the principle i hope it's OK?

Regards