4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2008 12:51 PM by Günter Schenk

Thumbnail image server behaviour

Hello,
      Best new years wishes to all!

Can anyone explain just how the thumbnail behavior works? Is it just a latent resizing process initialized on first load of a page?

Is it a process of checking for an existent thumbnail image and then resizing only if the thumbnail is not present?

Why not resize the image on upload to full size and also thumbnail size?

I use the behavior and it works well, just not sure how it works and would like to know.

Regards,

Steve
        • 2. Re: Thumbnail image server behaviour
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi Steve,

the Show Thumbnail behaviour does indeed create the thumbnails on page load and not earlier, so it seems that...

------
          Is it a process of checking for an existent thumbnail image and then resizing only if the thumbnail is not present?
          ------

...this is true.

------
          Why not resize the image on upload to full size and also thumbnail size?
          ------

IMO this would be adding some more "what if the server doesn´t execute additional processes ?" insecurities, because - well - some users might already encounter the main image not being uploaded correctly for whatever reason, and any additional process like creating the subdirectory "thumbnails" plus creating a thumbnail in there will of course fail when step a) already went wrong.

As one never really knows why on earth e.g. resizing a very large image may go wrong (due to some "memory" related limits obviously), it wouldn´t be wise to make an application even stack some extra tasks on top of that -- rolling out the thumbnail creation process to a different page seems smarter, because just in case thumbnail X isn´t created the first time, it will be created the next time someone launches the page in question.

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 3. Re: Thumbnail image server behaviour
            Level 1
            Thank you for the reply Günter,
            I guess I just have to be weary if a page has multiple thumbs and on first load suddenly has to process/create many thumbs rather than just one as would be the case if used in a product upload admin area.

Thanks again for the clarification,

Steve
            • 4. Re: Thumbnail image server behaviour
              Günter Schenk Level 4
              Hi Steve,

------
              I guess I just have to be weary if a page has multiple thumbs and on first load suddenly has to process/create many thumbs
              ------

fortunately creating a thumbnail isn´t a very resource-hungry process, so even with multiple pics on one page you shouldn´t be facing this on a standard server.

Cheers,
              Günter Schenk
              Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver