9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2008 12:26 PM by glensbo

Help with creating a FORM Newbie Question

Level 1
      Hi,

I have created a FORM which is inserted into the database. I am a little bit confused to acquire the data from database when a user clicks on search button to check if this profile is already in the database.

Please let me know if there is any TUTORIAL which can help me with this project.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Regards,

Venkatesha
        • 1. Re: Help with creating a FORM Newbie Question
          Level 1
          Venkatesha,

I'm not sure I can give you too much help based on this limited information.

I assume you created an Insert Record form with the Devloper Toolbox's Insert Record Form Wizard. I'm not sure if you are wanting a separeate search page where the user can check if a profile is already there before they try to fill out the form or if you want the page with the form on it to check and see if a user with that profile exists before it inserts the form info into the database.

If you want a separate search page for checking profiles, you would need to hand code that page with a form to allow the person to check the profile by entering a value and then your code would query the database to see if there was a match. You could probably use the Custom Form Wizard to do some of that.

If you want the page with the form on it to check and see if a user with that profile exists before it inserts the form info into the database, you would need to create a Custom Trigger on the Insert Record page. This Custom Trigger would need to be set to execute BEFORE the Insert operation. You would need to hand code the Custom Trigger to check the database for matching profiles and throw an error if it finds a matching one.

Unfortunately, both these options require some hand PHP coding. For info on how to add Custom Triggers with ADDT, read the documentation provided with the ADDT software. Search the forums and tutorial pages for more detailed help.

Shane
          • 2. Re: Help with creating a FORM Newbie Question
            glensbo Level 1
            Venkatesha

Did you try to set the database field (username) to unique? I think that this will throw an error like 'user already exist' in your form.

Regards
            • 3. Re: Help with creating a FORM Newbie Question
              Günter Schenk Level 4
              Hi all,

----
              Did you try to set the database field (username) to unique?
              ----

That´s one way to avoid duplicate entries, though all you get returned is an error message from MySQL. I suggest using ADDT´s "Check Unique Key" behaviour (under "Form Validation") which will check against a definable database column -- the advantage is, that you´ll be able to define a custom error message like "this user name already exists, please decide on another one".

Cheers
              Günter Schenk
              Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
              • 4. Re: Help with creating a FORM Newbie Question
                Level 1
                Hi Henrik Glensbo & Gunter Schenk,

Sorry friends, i was busy transfer my clients website on to the new dedicate server. Because i am new to ADDT and PHP programming, it is confusing me. Please find the FORM URL, i am trying work on below:

http://www.mudhranaa.co.in/ (WEBSITE)
                http://www.mudhranaa.co.in/visiting_cards.html (FORM)

The above mentioned form is for MNC companies located in BANGALORE, INDIA. The is what this form is suppose to do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

* This is a form for multiple companies which will be redirected to based on the USERID and Password -> http://www.mudhranaa.co.in/

* Employee will be directed to -> http://www.mudhranaa.co.in/visiting_cards.html, when he enters the data on the field #Emp Serial, i will have to check for the details in the database, if it exists, the data will have to displayed in the form.

* If the data doesnt exist, the employee will type in the details and submit which will be stored in the database

* As soon as the submission takes place the content will have to emailed to -> two email id's - one to the employee's manager and the second to my client.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I know, i am asking for to much, would you guys let me know where i can find tutorials for this application. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Venkatesha
                • 5. Re: Help with creating a FORM Newbie Question
                  Level 1
                  Venkatesha,

There is not really one tutorial that is going to help you build something like this. However, the best place to start is here:

http://www.interaktonline.com/Products/Bundles/MXKollection/Documentation/

There are lots of tutorials and info located there to help get you started. Go to the bottom of the page for the video tutorials. Start going thru those tutorials that match some of what you are doing and that will get you started.

What you are needing to do requires some detailed knowledge about how the ADDT works.

Shane
                  • 6. Re: Help with creating a FORM Newbie Question
                    glensbo Level 1
                    Venkatesha

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/php_blog3.html

This tutorial is about building a blog - there is a complex use of several tables combined - you may find solutions in this tutorial

Regards
                    • 8. Re: Help with creating a FORM Newbie Question
                      Level 1
                      Thanks a lot for all the help HENRIK.

I was able to create the form using CONTACT FORM sample. Eveything is working perfectly except for this ERROR. Can you help here.

Error:
                      Error sending e-mail.
                      • 9. Re: Help with creating a FORM Newbie Question
                        glensbo Level 1
                        Did you configure the control panel email-settings conforming with your mail provider?

THere is also something about a preinstallede nobody@nobody.com adress in the code that need be changed

Regards