3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2008 12:58 PM by (Michael_Zanfardino)

Apache, MySQL, and PHP

I am new PHP development and working on a test project. I've installed Apache, MySQL and PHP on my Windows XP box and now I'm a little confused. I created a database and some sample code to retrieve data. Now, on a server I'm using which supports this how do I upload this to the server for use?

I hope this makes sense. Is there a built-in app for that or do I upload my created db to the server.

UPDATE: I forgot to add that I am working locally and now would like to port this over to my domain and server. My host uses a linux box with apache.

Thanks in advance,
      mdawg
        • 1. Re: Apache, MySQL, and PHP
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi Michael,

the MySQL administration tool you used for creating the tables (probably "PhpMyAdmin"), certainly provides an "export" module. Use this one to export the desired tables with/without the data to an SQL file, and import this file into the MySQL administration tool provided by your host, what will be replicating your local tables.

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Apache, MySQL, and PHP
            Hi,

Download the mysql admin gui from here : http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html

If your host server allows connections from other hosts you can use the mysql gui to connect to the local database as well as the host database and export the tables to your new database on the host. This is the way I prefer to do it... but some hosts only allow SQL connections from the localhost itself which basically means you won't be able to connect to it using the mysql gui tools.

However you can still generate the database scripts from the gui tools and login to your hosts mysql manager - possibly phpMyAdmin and then simply execute the SQL script.

Hope this helps,
            Brendan
            • 3. Re: Apache, MySQL, and PHP
              Level 1
              Thank you both for your help. I really appreciate it.

mdawg