6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2008 5:20 PM by (frunsel@fruns.com)

How do you allow a user to create a new password?

The way i have it set up right now the users are registered by the admin and a random password is provided for them to log in. When they login they're instructed to create a new password.

They click to update their information. Included in this form is an "Old Password" field and a "New Password" field. They can choose if they want to create a new one or not. So I don't want to make it a requirement.

1 - How do I validate the old password.

2 - When they type the new password and submit the update info form. It inserts the new record over the old. But only after confirming that that old password is correct. How is this done?

Or should they just type in a new password with no validation that they know the old. ? Hm.

Please let me know. Thank you.
      Eddie Adolf
        • 1. Re: How do you allow a user to create a new password?
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi Eddie,

if this form has been built using the Update Record Form wizard, ADDT will automatically add the Check Old Password trigger, means that the previously defined password will be checked/validated by default.

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: How do you allow a user to create a new password?
            Level 1
            Well there was a preexisting form for the user to update their information. Then I decided i wanted to ad another table at the top of the existing form that would allow the option for the user to change their password.

If i add a 2 x 2 table with the row names "Old Password" and "New Password" then insert a test field next to each label; do i tie them both to the update form record set? Or only the "New Password" field?
            • 3. Re: How do you allow a user to create a new password?
              Günter Schenk Level 4
              if this is a manually created form, you will have to add the Check Old Password trigger to it, what´s described in the help file -- however once you implement that trigger, it *will* check the old password, but you said you´d rather prefer to leave it up to the user.

My suggestion: just make the password field a regular input field and add ADDT´s Check Unique Key form validation to ensure that the updated password isn´t already in use by another user.

Cheers,
              Günter Schenk
              • 4. Re: How do you allow a user to create a new password?
                i have a question about the Unique Key form validation!
                i use the user register wizard and also the unique key wizard to check if this user name already exist!

it works all perfect BUT one little thing is not like it should be:
                if the user choose a name where already exist, the error throws out, but it clears all the register fields (all the users entrys, and i have a few fields)

how can i prevent this?
                thanks for help
                • 5. Re: How do you allow a user to create a new password?
                  Günter Schenk Level 4
                  Hi frunsel,

-----
                  if the user choose a name where already exist, the error throws out, but it clears all the register fields (all the users entrys, and i have a few fields)
                  -----

humm, that´s not cool -- however...

-----
                  how can i prevent this?
                  -----

In this case I suggest providing a separate "check username availabilty" procedure in a blank window (or a popup window, if you prefer) which ...

a) on page 1 has a form with one "check_username" text field, and on...

b) page 2 queries the login table´s "username" column against the textfield´s value and returns "username available" when no matching records were found, respectively "username already allocated" in case of a match.

That´s something I´d do without using ADDT, means DW´s native database related functionality are absolutely sufficient for such simple stuff

Cheers,
                  Günter Schenk
                  • 6. Re: How do you allow a user to create a new password?
                    Level 1
                    ok thanks for your help günter!

but should this not be a necessary feature in the regsiter wizard?!
                    maybe for the next version of ADDT ;)