7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2010 10:30 PM by ikoniqoz

Login settings>History>Sessions

I have a site up and running fine but the customer wants to be able to see when and how long a person is logged in. In the help files (lol) it says "In the Session drop-down menu select the table column to store the length of the user session." But when I implement this it just comes up with letters and numbers...I assume that this is some sort of encoding. I was expecting time as in something like "hh:mm:ss". Can someone give me some incite on this.
      Thanks
      M
        • 1. Re: Login settings>History>Sessions
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi Marcus,

don´t know how your ADDT "login_stats" table has been set up, but mine stores the "user_id", the session (that´s certainly what you mean with "letters and numbers" ;-)), plus the "date_in" and "date_out", which are both datetime columns and store the login/logout date & time including the seconds, e.g. 2008-01-30 20:50:24

For further reference and comparision to your own current login setup you might want to read my tutorial "Login tables: installation & configuration" : http://www.guenter-schenk.com/tutorials/tutorial.php?id=1

I know the current help file leaves users in the dark about this, but what you´re looking for, is all there :-)

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Login settings>History>Sessions
            Level 1
            I compared my tables to yours and they are nearly identical. btw I will start using your dumps as they are much easier to work with thank you. To make sure we are on the same page I am looking at the "session_log" from your dump. What exactly goes in this space? and Can I decode and view it? How?
            Thanks Again
            M
            • 3. Re: Login settings>History>Sessions
              Günter Schenk Level 4
              -----
              What exactly goes in this space?
              -----

This column will automatically log a random value that´s getting allocated to user_id X once he logs in

----
              Can I decode and view it?
              ----

you probably won´t need to decode that session value, as it´s a random one and hence doesn´t make any sense for statistical purposes -- but as the "login_stats" table logs the user_id and the date_in/date_out time, you can use those columns/values to create yourself a "how long a person is logged in" statistics

Cheers,
              Günter Schenk
              • 4. Re: Login settings>History>Sessions
                Level 1
                Ok, Thank you for all the help, Gunter (sorry don't know how to do the umlouts). I understand now.
                M
                • 5. Re: Login settings>History>Sessions
                  Dear Günter;

I'm trying to work out in ADDT- how to timeout/auto log out a user that has logged into the site if they are idle for 5 minutes. They walked away from the computer.

I have full control of my server linux PHP and would like to over ride the php.ini which is set as default

I've looked at sessions
                  I'm logging the user

any sample code would be helpful.

Thank you
                  • 6. Re: Login settings>History>Sessions
                    Günter Schenk Level 4
                    Hi Bedigital,

----
                    how to timeout/auto log out a user that has logged into the site if they are idle for 5 minutes
                    ----

that´s of course pretty interesting, and I´ve been thinking about the same lately. You can´t do that with ADDT´s obviously, but what I´ve recently seen on another site´s backend, is a (probably driven by jQuery) AJAX based modal window popping up after x minutes, where you may choose to either extend your session or to get logged out and be forwarded to the login page.

Don´t know how they did that exactly, but this seems a reasonable approach

Cheers,
                    Günter Schenk
                    • 7. Re: Login settings>History>Sessions
                      ikoniqoz Level 1

Hi Gunter

Have had a few clients hit by unexpected log-outs while working on their sites. Now it has just happened to me and boy I can understand now how frustrating this can be.

Do you know of any way in which we can find out what the time-out period is and how we can manage that ?

Many thanks.