7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2008 12:00 PM by Günter Schenk

show/hide layer with recordset and repeat region?

Hi
      I have a examplepage at
      http://www.tvdinner.se/test/test2.php

When mousing over a image the name should show below (hidden layer). But it only shows the name from the first record.

How would I make a repeat region with the show/hide elements. And show the right record info in that layer?

If you have some examples I would be happy.

Regards
      Olle
        • 1. Re: show/hide layer with recordset and repeat region?
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi Olle,

is your question related to using the Dreamweaver Developer Toolbox ?

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: show/hide layer with recordset and repeat region?
            Level 1
            Yes I think so.

Because I use, or are planning to use the looper wizard for the repeat region. I'm also using the show image in ADDT.

If this is not the place to ask. Where is?

Regards
            Olle
            • 3. Re: show/hide layer with recordset and repeat region?
              Günter Schenk Level 4
              Was just looking at the code of the page you provided and saw no typical ADDT stuff

well, all your div´s do embed different pics, but they all contain the same onmouseover="MM_showHideLayers('texten','','show')" code, and your page just has one defined "texten" div´s containing the term VW -- not sure, but wouldn´t your page have to provide additional layers (say, "texten2", "texten3" etc) as well to match the number of pics you´re displaying ?

Cheers,
              Günter Schenk
              • 4. Re: show/hide layer with recordset and repeat region?
                Level 1
                Hi
                Not at the test page yet. But the main site use ADDT alot.
                Look at http://www.tvdinner.se/directors2.php for an example.

Bu now the customer wants the text under the images to show on mouseover instead.
                So I'm experimenting a bit.

I have a test page now (with filterd recordsets) http://www.tvdinner.se/test/test3.php. This is exactly how I want it. (or with show/hide elements) wichever is easiest.

Would this be easy to do with a repeat region (horizontal looper) and ADDT?

As you said I realize I have to put in a couter somehow to increase the layernames. But I dont know how or where.

Regards
                olle
                • 5. Re: show/hide layer with recordset and repeat region?
                  Günter Schenk Level 4
                  Hi Olle,

------
                  Would this be easy to do with a repeat region (horizontal looper) and ADDT?
                  ------

the problem I see (and it doesn´t depend on using ADDT´s horizanotal Looper or DW´s native Repeat Region) with using whatever "show/hide text in layers on mouseover/out" approach is: you´ll actually have to use several Repeat Region - instances to generate more than just one page element respectively code fragment on runtime, and this includes...

a) the div id="whatever" elements, as well as the matching

b) #apDiv plus #text css classes in the document head

That´s certainly doable somehow, but honestly said, it would all be *much* easier if you´d just display the text below all those images right away without using that fancy show/hide layers stuff -- all the more it´s not very intuitive to the visitor, as the text layers are initially hidden, means the visitor doesn´t know *that* he´ll have to move to mouse over whatever pic to see something. I´d suggest considering such important usability aspects

Cheers,
                  Günter Schenk
                  • 6. Re: show/hide layer with recordset and repeat region?
                    Level 1
                    Hi.
                    I totally agree with you. Its a bad way of displaying the text for the images. And I have tried to convince the client and the Art Director, but no luck :(

So I have to at least show something to them.

Do you think you can show me a very small example of how to do it? If I say please :)

I have found some examples. One at http://www.tecnorama.org/document.php?id_doc=73
                    But I could never get it to work with database connection for some reason.

The other way I was thinking was to use Spry Tooltip like this example
                    http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/samples/data_region/TooltipwithData.html
                    and have the tooltip transparent at a fixed position.

Regards
                    olle
                    • 7. Re: show/hide layer with recordset and repeat region?
                      Günter Schenk Level 4
                      Hi Olle,

seems that your customer is just keen to see something fancy, regardless if it´s daft (the original mouse over solution) or if it´s inaccessable for browsers which don´t support Spry´s minmal requirements respectively which have javascript turned off (the Spry Tooltip solution)

However, I think that using the Spry Tooltip will be pretty straight forward and won´t require you and me to rack our brains over multiple instances of standard Repeat Regions :-)

Cheers,
                      Günter Schenk