5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2008 2:36 PM by (Laurence_Lewis)

Help Activation Email (Resend The Email)

Joseph07888
      Hi All,

I hope someone can help, I am having problems with people not been able to activate their account as email may have gone to spammail and deleted.

I am having to delete people from the database directly to accommodate their request to become a member.

Is there a way to create a "re-send activation email" just like the forgot password?

Can anyone detail how to do this or if there is a script anywhere please let me know where I can get it....

Please, Please can someone help!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
      Joe
        • 1. Re: Help Activation Email (Resend The Email)
          (Laurence_Lewis) Level 1
          Hi Joseph

I set the BCC for the activation email to an email address I have set up for problems. When a member for whatever reason can't activate their account I find the email for their registration and click on the register link for them.

I know its messy but it works

Cheers
          laurence
          • 2. Re: Help Activation Email (Resend The Email)
            Joseph07888 Level 1
            Cheers Laurence Lewis,

But... (There's always a but) I am also working on a new development and I don't think it would be professional if I said to the customer we have to set it up that way. But I will do it for my own project that i am working on.

Again thank you.

Does anyone have any other Ideas?

Cheers,
            Joe
            • 3. Re: Help Activation Email (Resend The Email)
              (Laurence_Lewis) Level 1
              Hi Joe

I have been playing around and you could try this solution.

Set up a dynamic list from the user registration ( or what ever you called it)table

Set up an update form with basic details displayed as text

Change the button name to send activation email or whatever takes your fancy and add a send email from recordset trigger.

in the message box add something like this:

<p>Your username is <strong>{username_member}</strong></p>
              <p>To activate your account, click on the following link:<br>
              <a href="http://yoursite.com.au/activate.php?kt_login_id={id_member}&kt_login_random={random _member}" target="_blank">http://www.yoursite.com.au/activate.php?kt_login_id={id_member}&kt_login_ random={random_member}</a></p>

When you click on the send activation email it will send an email to the user with a link to activate their account.

Cheers
              laurence
              • 4. Re: Help Activation Email (Resend The Email)
                Joseph07888 Level 1
                Hi Laurence,

Thats great after a little more playing around and configering everything I got it to work.

A little different from yours but based on mainly the same details and I tested it and it works!!!

I think we should give our selves a pat on the back.

So here its how it's done everyone. Follow these steps

1. Set up a dynamic list/ recordset from the user registration ( or what ever you called it)table

2. Create a filter of the (EmailAddress in table to = "Form Variable" EmailAddress entered in the form on the webpage to update.

Set up an update form with basic details displayed as text (I.e. only the email address)

Change the button name to send activation email or whatever takes your fancy and add a send email from recordset trigger.

in the message box add something like this:

<p>Your username is <strong>{username_member}</strong></p>
                <p>To activate your account, click on the following link:<br>
                <a href="http://yoursite.com.au/activate.php?{rsReActivateEmail.EmailAddres}=kt_login_id={rs ReActivateEmail.id_user}&kt_login_random={rsReActivateEmail.random}"

target="_blank">http://yoursite.com.au/activate.php?{rsReActivateEmail.EmailAddres}=kt_log in_id={rsReActivateEmail.id_user}&kt_login_random={rsReActivateEmail.random}</a></p>

Breakdown for non coder ("Like Me, but learing fast")

rsReActivateEmail.EmailAddres ='s the email address in table

that then ='s kt_login_id which ='s the users uniqu ID (i.e id_user = 155)

rsReActivateEmail.id_user = id_user from recordset where EmailAddress ='s ID_USER

and

kt_login_random ={rsReActivateEmail.random (from recordset)

BingBashBosh your done..................

When you click on the send activation email it will send an email to the user with a link to activate their account.

I feel like a million pounds and that I may have helped many people who have had this irriating problem.

I have to give much credit to Laurence as I would not have come across how to put it all together without his advise.

A big thankyou to Laurence cheers pal if I thought you were in the UK I would buy you a pint in the pub.

Cheers,
                Joe
                • 5. Re: Help Activation Email (Resend The Email)
                  (Laurence_Lewis) Level 1
                  I am in Australia Joe

Happy to help out with a solution

Cheers
                  Laurence

PS: I'd love a pint as long as it not Fosters :-)