5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2008 6:40 AM by Günter Schenk

Best way using ADDT? : No page refresh, but form fields change on selection.

The top half of the form is a simple user registration. The bottom half is dependent on the user selecting an item from a dropdown menu which then changes the form accordingly.

What is the best way to do this?
        • 1. Re: Best way using ADDT? : No page refresh, but form fields change on selection.
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi Eddie,

------
          ...changes the form accordingly
          ------

do you mean

a) displaying a different set of form fields, or

b) having the existing fields automatically filled with various predefined values

?

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Best way using ADDT? : No page refresh, but form fields change on selection.
            Level 1
            Günter I mean "A" its a for a quote system. Where the user can choose "logo", for example, and a form with fields having to do with logo design will show up. Same with say, a website, they would choose how many pages and if they want an image gallery, things like that.
            • 3. Re: Best way using ADDT? : No page refresh, but form fields change on selection.
              Günter Schenk Level 4
              -----
              Where the user can choose "logo", for example, and a form with fields having to do with logo design will show up
              -----

if you need this without page refresh, I recommend looking for an AJAX based solution. ADDT forms and Dreamweaver´s native forms are of static nature and can´t do that, as the initially defined insert/update behaviour (plus related actions like form validation) is "tied" to existing field names and types (e.g. dropdown menu, checkbox, radio button etc etc) -- if it were possible to load a different set of form elements into a certain area of a page, the insert/update behaviours would have to adapt themselves to these changes as well, and that´s not something I ever expect to be supported.

Cheers,
              Günter Schenk
              • 4. Re: Best way using ADDT? : No page refresh, but form fields change on selection.
                Level 1
                How about an alternate solution, where each form is on an a spry widget accordion plane? Clicking the appropriate tab would drop down its form.

But is there a way to still have the simple registration form at the top of the page? With other individual forms in the widget?

Would each widget form have its own submit button? Then on submit it inserts the simple registration form along with its own form?
                • 5. Re: Best way using ADDT? : No page refresh, but form fields change on selection.
                  Günter Schenk Level 4
                  -----
                  How about an alternate solution, where each form is on an a spry widget accordion plane?
                  -----

When tyring to do that with ADDT or Dreamweaver forms, you would have to define multiple insert or update transactions as well -- that´s per se not possible, also because an insert/update transaction always comes with an "redirect after insert/update" trigger, means the user will be leaving that page.

------
                  But is there a way to still have the simple registration form at the top of the page?
                  ------

see my "redirect after insert" comment above.

------
                  Would each widget form have its own submit button?
                  ------

You might want to consider creating separate (non ADDT) forms for each SPRY accordion which submit their stuff to the database behind the scenes and without leaving the page. To my knowledge the SPRY documentation shows how this can be done -- but as this isn´t related to ADDT, I´m not going to comment on that :-)

-----
                  Then on submit it inserts the simple registration form along with its own form?
                  -----

the main form (regardless if it´s driven by ADDT´s or Dreamweaver´s insert/update behaviours) will be redirecting to another page

Cheers,
                  Günter Schenk