7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2008 1:30 PM by (Sean_DeMerchant)

center thumbnail in an image using show thumbnail behaviour

mrcharis2003@yahoo.c Level 1
      Hi there everybody

Still having some trouble and no replies from other post so will simplify my question.........

Is it possible to center a thumb in the middle of an image ?

or the center of a table cell?

A thumb that is dynamically generated using the 'show thumbnail' server behavior

Or..... an image using the ' show image server behavior

Any help would be great

Have a nice day
        • 1. Re: center thumbnail in an image using show thumbnail behaviour
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi Charis,

----
          Is it possible to center a thumb in the middle of an image ?

or the center of a table cell?
          ----

wouldn´t setting this table cell to (horizontal align) center work ?

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: center thumbnail in an image using show thumbnail behaviour
            Hi there Gunter
            Thanks for the reply
            tried that but still not exactly what I need

I need to be able to center the thumb (or the full sized image) directly over a background image so the background image can form a border for the thumb and then I can select both the background image and the thumb to apply the looper behavior to it

will try to sort it out

has to be a way

I have seen other sites that list all their products with pretty borders around their thumbs and the look like they are dynamically generated

anyway thanks again

have a nice day
            cheers
            • 3. Re: center thumbnail in an image using show thumbnail behaviour
              Günter Schenk Level 4
              Hi Charis,

------
              I have seen other sites...
              ------

can you provide a link to one of those sites ?

Cheers,
              Günter Schenk
              • 4. Re: center thumbnail in an image using show thumbnail behaviour
                Level 1
                Use CSS. This is Dreamweaver so you simply create a new CSS rule (perhaps adding a class identifier to the element) and set text-align to center. You may need to tweak the vertical-align value too.

This can also be done programatically with nested tables in PHP quite easily by using getimagesize().
                • 5. Re: center thumbnail in an image using show thumbnail behaviour
                  Hi there Gunter
                  thanks for your reply.

The one site I remember is a jewelry site http://www.mongaglobalexports.com/index.php?cPath=54
                  the thumbs they list are surrounded by a colorful frame/border that I think is dynamic...... but I could be wrong... But that is the kind of effect I am looking for ...... instead of a plain thumb floating on a
                  background.....

Hi Sean
                  Thanks for your advise

I have no idea about CSS. It is one of the mannnnny things I am trying to learn at the moment.
                  If you could go into a little more detail that would be great or have any link to similar tutorial would be good... but is ok I will get it happening thanks again

So....anyway this is what I came up with to cheat to get the same result I want

First I thought about creating a site background in fireworks with all the frames already there and apply it as a background to a table or cell in dreamweaver... and then trial and error with the horrizontal scroller (using transparent spacers to set the gap between the images)
                  But I tried a little and quickly figured out is was a nightmare to align the looped images centered in the frames.... So......

Then I came up with a better way... I hope

So...... first I get the site happening a 'list product page' that has nine horizontal looped thumbs with a plain background and I upload test pictures (making sure they all exactly the same size) and preview in the browser once I have the site with all the thumbs in the right place I use a screen capture camera to take a photo of my site then I open that file in fireworks and use it as a guide to create a new background image for the site then I send to Dw and apply as background to the site table. then when I preview in browser all the thumbs should be inline with the frames I drew in the background

the only drawback is that...... I cant take a full screen picture of the site with my screen capture camera because you have to scroll down to see the bottom row of thumbs and that when you upload a new pic that starts a new page ( say every tenth picture, as I display nine thumbs in each record page) the page would only have one pic in a frame but eight empty frames around it .......

Hm....... and sounds like a really long way go about doing what I thought was a simple thing

And.... I cant get it to work yet

SO what do you think of that approach?

Thanks for your help again
                  have a great day
                  • 6. Re: center thumbnail in an image using show thumbnail behaviour
                    Günter Schenk Level 4
                    Hi charis,

------
                    The one site I remember is a jewelry site http://www.mongaglobalexports.com/index.php?cPath=54
                    the thumbs they list are surrounded by a colorful frame/border that I think is dynamic...... but I could be wrong
                    ------

when looking at the page source code, you´ll note that each table cell is aligned centered and comes...

a) with an 149x100 px image on top (e.g. bangle-set2d.jpg.jpg),
                    b) several line breaks,
                    c) and a "buy now" graphic which links to the detail page

However I´m sure that the "colorful frame/border" you´re mentioning is simply another graphic file that´s defined as cell background, and it looks as this has been defined in the page´s stylesheet.

Cheers,
                    Günter Schenk
                    • 7. Re: center thumbnail in an image using show thumbnail behaviour
                      Level 1
                      A simple CSS example (i.e., not ideal CSS, but it works in IE 7, Firefox 2, Opera, and Safari).

http://www.envisagement.com/centered_image.php