2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2008 1:04 AM by oicram

Advice on ADDT Export Recordset as XML Tutorial

Level 1
      Hello all,

I recently had a situation where I needed to use ADDT's "Export Recordset as XML" behavior. However, the "Export Recordset as XML" behavior creates a php page that generates the XML when the php script is run and the resulting XML is published to the browser.

Unfortunately, I needed the php page to not publish to the browser, but to write the generated XML to a real XML file. I looked for help in the forums, but I was unable to find any information regarding this and it seemed some people had been looking for this ability.

I was able to figure out how to use ADDT's "Export Recordset as XML" to write the XML to a file when the ADDT created Export XML php page is run.

I want to share a brief description on how I did this. However, I had to modify the ADDT file "XMLExport.class.php" to get this to work. The modifications are are very simple and easy. You just have to comment out a few lines and change an echo to a return in the "XMLExport.class.php" file.

Before I take the time to write this up, I wanted to be sure it's ok to explain in these forums how to edit ADDT files. I know the license agreement allows me to modify the code for my own use. But does the license agreement allow me tell other's how to modify the code?

At the top of the Adobe "XMLExport.class.php" page you see this:

Adobe permits you to use, modify, and distribute this file in accordance with the terms of the Adobe license agreement accompanying it.

Rather than try and decipher a license agreement, I thought someone, probably Gunter :), might be able to let me know before I go to the trouble.

Thanks,

Shane
        • 1. Re: Advice on ADDT Export Recordset as XML Tutorial
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi Shane,

------
          But does the license agreement allow me tell other's how to modify the code?
          ------

As this snenario isn´t explicitely mentioned respectively prohibited, I don´t see any problem at all with telling folks how to modify an ADDT "includes" file, though I´m not sure about the "distribution" aspect, as - to my understanding - an original or modified ADDT file can´t be offered for download or sent to others per email or whatever else might qualify as "distribution".

My suggestion for remaining on the safe side :: just write a tutorial and tell folks how to modify whatever file, because merely providing an information about a modification certainly doesn´t tangent the "use, modify, and distribute" definition of the license at all -- however, it´s the reader of your tutorial who´s having to decide whether the suggested modification is in accordance with the terms of the Adobe license agreement, though this shouldn´t be a problem as well, as they´re going to modify the code for their own use :-)

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Advice on ADDT Export Recordset as XML Tutorial
            oicram
            Just to make the link to the proper thread. Feel free to delete this post if you think is useless.

Here's the link:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b573c8