6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2007 4:36 AM by (David_Faulhaber)

question about 'connection' in database tab

Quick question about the 'connection' field in the 'database' tab of 'login settings', DWDT control panel. In a nutshell, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to put here... :-( The example in the DWDT manual shows 'connMXK3PRO', but I have no idea what this is. Help this newb, please! :-)

Much thanks, David.
        • 1. Re: question about 'connection' in database tab
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi David,

did you already define a "connection" for your site ? if yes, this one should show up in the "Connection:" menu as default entry, and you can safely use this one -- if you didn´t define any connection so far, you´d have to click the "Define:" button, to, guess what, define one.

>>
          The example in the DWDT manual shows 'connMXK3PRO', but I have no idea what this is
          >>

that´s just an example how a connection could be named -- but those names are by no means binding, means you can name a connection whatever you like and also use the same connection for all of ADDT´s tutorials regardless of the suggested names.

Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: question about 'connection' in database tab
            I have a similar problem, but when I try to define a connection it spits the dummy. I get endless errors, established multiple databases, even tried switching web hosts and server types...it even confirms the presence of a testing server in one box while saying in another box that I have no testing server.

Basically its useless! It won't work with windows servers, won't work on Apache...hates MySQL, MSSQL, Access2003 and 2007...and all because of the lousy connection error. I have been trying everything for almost two months now, even my web hosts cannot figure it out.
            • 3. Re: question about 'connection' in database tab
              Level 1
              Günter,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I guess what confuses me is what 'connection' defines... Is this just
              an arbitrary name? In that case, should I just use the name of my
              website or hosting service as the 'connection' name? Or is
              'connection' a type or means of connection, such as ftp? Perhaps this
              is what is throwing me off...

Thanks again,
              David
              • 4. Re: question about 'connection' in database tab
                Günter Schenk Level 4
                @ David,

well, to hopefully minimize the confusion :: we´re talking about a connection to a database (e.g. MySQL) installed on your local testing server and/or on the remote server. This connection´s *name* is absolutely irrelevant -- what´s important is, the to-be-defined connection data in here needs to specify which database to use (in case you have more than one, you´ll have to determine one of them for your current DW site) and to specify the database´s username & password.

DW´s FTP settings are completely unrelated to this

>>
                In that case, should I just use the name of my website or hosting service as the 'connection' name?
                >>

whatever connection name you´re deciding on -- just don´t make it too complicated :-)

@ Glenn,

oh dear, you really have some *massive* problems to deal with -- but I don´t think they´re related to ADDT in any way, because that rather points to a possible mess in your DW site settings and/or local testing server environment

>>
                it even confirms the presence of a testing server in one box while saying in another box that I have no testing server
                >>

I occasionally get this error message from DW CS3 as well, although I did correctly define a local testing server, weird.

However, as this all that mess is unrelated to ADDT, I´d suggest submitting this as possible bug report to the ADOBE "wishform":

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Günter Schenk
                Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
                • 5. Re: question about 'connection' in database tab
                  Level 1
                  Settings in DW fine...checked that first up...I even tried creating purely test sites just to experiment with in settings. I don't think its a bug despite the conflicts. Odd thing to say I know, but I just have a feeling its something I am missing.
                  • 6. Re: question about 'connection' in database tab
                    Level 1
                    Thanks to all who helped with this; I think I've finally got it. Working with David Powers' book "PHP Solutions", I first created a database and a table with several records in it. I was then able to get DW to recogonize said database and table in ADDT control panel. (Don't know if it actually works yet, but at least I'm making progress!) Cheers. David.