7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2008 12:50 PM by (ChristopherL_Jackson)

ADDT user registration wizard questions.

Hello, I want to start with saying: Thanks for reading my problem.

I am using php4.4.8, with a mySQL DB.

I have followed Günter's Tutorial (Login tables: installation & configuration) to set up my tables.

In dreamweaver(CS3) in the user registration wizard, I am confused about the following:

1) Should I set default values for the following fields: active, level, login_date, disable_date, registration_date, expiration? If so, can you give me examples.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris
        • 1. Re: ADDT user registration wizard questions.
          Level 1
          Also, Once I make initial settings using the user registration wizard, is there a way to pull up those options again to edit them without doing it over from scratch?
          • 2. Re: ADDT user registration wizard questions.
            Günter Schenk Level 4
            Hi Chris,

some colums such as "active" or "login_date" or "registration_date" will be set after a user logs in/activates his account/registers, so those ones don´t need a default value. Others such as "level" or "expiration" may get a default value, altough they can be overridden by specific values for each account.

-----
            Also, Once I make initial settings using the user registration wizard, is there a way to pull up those options again to edit them without doing it over from scratch?
            -----

ADDT stores the login configuration in a file which will always be uploaded to the remote server after making some changes -- and it will load this configuration file (respectively its latest settings) everytime you´re launching the Login Settings.

Cheers,
            Günter Schenk
            Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
            • 3. Re: ADDT user registration wizard questions.
              This is the problem that I am having.

SQL Error: Column 'active' cannot be null.

Developer Details:
              SQL error: INSERT INTO login (username, password, email, active, level, random_key, login_attempts, disable_date, registration_date, expiration) values ('testname', 'b8ce1a4f61644f8435731b34c598269a', 'myemail@mine.net', null, null, 'b6a382610f2ff4211hj9351a79db13e55', null, null, null, null). (SQL_ERROR)

The following fields: active, level, login_attempts, disable_date, registration_date, expiration.. are not filling in.

How do I correct this? Should I be setting this up as default values when in the user registration wizard? Is there a default value command that will fill in the current TIMESTAMP for the registration_date?

Thanks in advance.
              Chris
              • 4. Re: ADDT user registration wizard questions.
                Günter Schenk Level 4
                -----
                SQL Error: Column 'active' cannot be null
                -----

according to my tutorial´s SQL dump the column 'active' can´t indeed be NULL, but should have a default value of '1' to compensate this -- however , you can also change the column type to NULL in PhpMyAdmin.

-------
                The following fields: active, level, login_attempts, disable_date, registration_date, expiration.. are not filling in
                -------

many of those columns are not supposed to get a value inserted when you´re e.g. setting up a "login" or "register" page, and much of that actually happens behind the scenes -- one example: ADDT (respectively the underlying scripts) will be inserting some value into the "login_attempts" column in case a user submits a wrong username/password combination.

Cheers,
                Günter Schenk
                • 5. Re: ADDT user registration wizard questions.
                  Level 1
                  Ok, what I gather is for these fields I should fill them in with their default values upon registration. Later on, they will be updated with the correct values behind the scenes automatically upon different events (ex. logging in). Is this correct?
                  • 6. Re: ADDT user registration wizard questions.
                    Günter Schenk Level 4
                    ----
                    Later on, they will be updated with the correct values behind the scenes automatically upon different events (ex. logging in). Is this correct?
                    ----

you got it :-)

Forgot to mention one particular column which deserves to be treated differently : level -- as this one should be set on a "per user" basis, I recommend to...

a) assign a default value that´s comparatively low, e.g. "3" for users without admin permissions, and...

b) create yourself an "edit user accounts" list and form which - among others - contains a "level" drop down menu for changing this value at a later time.

Cheers,
                    Günter Schenk
                    • 7. Re: ADDT user registration wizard questions.
                      Level 1
                      Thanks so much for all your help, I'll try and hack this together tonight. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.