10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2008 11:17 AM by (Sean_DeMerchant)

Send Email to Recordset

Hi - wondering if anyone out there has had experience using this behaviour with a number of emails larger than 100?

If the behaviour can't send emails (or has trouble with) a recordset with a number larger than 100-200 addresses - has anyone tried any other send mail scripts? Any suggestions would be really helpful!

Thanks
      Dan
        • 1. Re: Send Email to Recordset
          benblue Level 1
          I too am curious, as i am building an email list manager for an artist, and he right now as 250 emails in his list. So if the Send Email to Recordset can handle a certain amount, i need to plan on having it send "pieces" of the list.

i recall reading about this here, so ill search. I'm pretty sure there was a limit in some way.

I'm thinking I'd have separate recordsets splitting a long recordset of hundreds of address into sets of 50, 75, 100, or whatever.

I'll post back however i work it out..

ben
          • 2. Re: Send Email to Recordset
            Level 1
            Thanks Ben I'd love to hear what you come up with.

Does anyone moderating (Gunter?) know roughly how many emails this behaviour can actually handle?

Thanks
            Dan
            • 3. Re: Send Email to Recordset
              benblue Level 1
              so anyone have any idea? (gunther (Sp?) cough, cough)

the problem:

I need my client to be able to use send email from recordset, containing hundreds of records and growing.

how could I limit the email trigger to, say 100, but yet still send the next 100, and the next, etc afterwards?

im sure I could have recordsets for each 100 (need help w/ that syntax), but:
              -ideally as the list grows, I wouldn't have to create new recordsets
              -ideally the client wouldn't have to send the email for EACH recordset.

seems somehow, he would send email, and that would trigger a cascade of triggers, each sending to 100, and each (somehow) separated by a "pause" of some sort.

if I had to choose, id rather the client have to send the same mail a few times, for each group, then for me to have to periodically add recordsets.

input gratefully appreciated.

ben
              • 4. Re: Send Email to Recordset
                Level 1
                yes figuring out some way to separate the number of emails into groups to achieve the final number would REALLY make this behaviour actually useful. I wonder what the original intention was for this behaviour if it can't handle more than 100 mails (at least that is what the interakt forums are saying).

I've been looking for an alternative mail script to use that I can pass the email text and the recordset to but I just can't seem to get anywhere with it.
                • 5. Re: Send Email to Recordset
                  benblue Level 1
                  well, there are some sharp minds here, so, I'm sure some combination thereof will find a solution!
                  • 6. Re: Send Email to Recordset
                    Günter Schenk Level 4
                    Hi Jon,

---------
                    yes figuring out some way to separate the number of emails into groups to achieve the final number would REALLY make this behaviour actually useful
                    ---------

off the top of my head I´d suggest to create several "send email" pages and make sure that page 1 redirects to page 2, which in turn redirects to page 3 etc etc. On each of these pages you could add a "limit" clause to the email recipients query, like that:

page 1: SELECT * FROM recipients LIMIT 0, 100 (start at row 0, retrieve 100 records)

page 2: SELECT * FROM recipients LIMIT 100, 100 (start at row 100, retrieve 100 records)

...and define similar limit clauses on each consecutive page. This sort of fragmentation will of course only work if you roughly know how many recipients you´re dealing with.

---------
                    I wonder what the original intention was for this behaviour if it can't handle more than 100 mails (at least that is what the interakt forums are saying)
                    ---------

it was never intended to mimic a fully-flegded mailing list application, and considering the fact that ADDT´s send email behaviours try to deliver all mails at one swoop, it´s nearly impossible to predict a precise number of to-be-sent emails, as e.g. emails with (in terms of file size) "large" attachments will be straining the mail server much more than simple text messages do.

Cheers,
                    Günter Schenk
                    Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
                    • 7. Re: Send Email to Recordset
                      benblue Level 1
                      thanks Günter!

this solution works for me, Dan and Jon. i duplicated the page with send email and insert form, each successively sending to the next 50 records via the way Gunter said. Each Page redirects to the next.

To avoid my client having to retype the message, each page after the first has its fields already filled out, populated by retrieving the data that was just previously inserted in the first page.

So the client only has to hit the Send button a few times. Maybe there's even a way to automate THAT, but its ok, because the main hurdle was worry that client would have to retype message for EVERY duplicated page - definitely NOT an option!

thanks Gunter!

ben
                      • 8. Re: Send Email to Recordset
                        Günter Schenk Level 4
                        Hi Ben,

wow, great to know that it works, and your solution is way cool :-)

------
                        So the client only has to hit the Send button a few times. Maybe there's even a way to automate THAT
                        ------

please try with passing an additional variable to page 2-? and declare this variable as starter event -- this would mimic some sort of "on page load" event.

Cheers,
                        Günter Schenk
                        Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
                        • 9. Re: Send Email to Recordset
                          benblue Level 1
                          well my client used this today and said it did work successfully, which is great.

ill have to try your suggestion of the starter event to act as a page "on load" trigger.

I haven't played with the custom triggers (e.g. quite often the "advanced" tab, so, I guess now's a good chance to get familiar!

I shall report any results,

ben
                          • 10. Re: Send Email to Recordset
                            Just use JavaScript redirect on intermediate pages. You can then do 10 or more redirections before requiring user interaction. But you need to stay below the browsers redirect limit.

Also, ensure you utilize some level of authentication and authorization to ensure the resource is not abused with ease. ADDT has this built in.