6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2007 12:08 PM by (MoClvland)

Only localhost permitted???

HI,
      I've created several update and insert record forms with ADDT that connect to a MySQL database on the local machine and they have all worked fine.

I am now trying to create an update record form that points to a MySQL database on an external machine (not localhost). But I keep getting "Internal Error" and no other debugging info.

I have the proper permissions to access the database, I've created forms in the past without using the ADDT forms and have not had any problems.

Can you only use the ADDT forms if you are connecting to a local hosted database???

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Only localhost permitted???
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi,

>>
          Can you only use the ADDT forms if you are connecting to a local hosted database???
          >>

definitely not -- but AFAIK, some hosts won´t allow such remote connections. In case the remote database "hostname" is different from your localhost connection, you might want to create another connection file using the provided connection data and use this one for your "live" site.

Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Only localhost permitted???
            Level 1
            Hi,
            thanks for the answer but I'm not sure what you're saying I should do with the connection file. Can you give me an example??

Thanks again.
            • 3. Re: Only localhost permitted???
              Günter Schenk Level 4
              Hi,

>>
              I am now trying to create an update record form that points to a MySQL database on an external machine (not localhost)
              >>

I assume you did create a secondary DW "connection" to access the remote database from your local computer, correct ? As I *think* your host will just block database access from remote, you´d usually need to replace this connection´s current "hostname" with the info provided by your remote host, and then upload the updated connection file (located in the "Connections" folder) to the remote server -- means that those forms which are using this "connection" will also just run from the remote server.

Does that help on ?

Günter Schenk
              • 4. Re: Only localhost permitted???
                Level 1
                Thanks for the reply.

If I understand you correctly I would need to change the connection file to include the correct connection info for the server I am attempting to connect to. Yes, that was already done.

I'm not sure if I explained myself clearly. I am trying to run an update record script on machine A that updates the MySQL database on Machine B(a completely seperate web server). I have created a user account in MySQL on machine B with the proper permissions to connect from Machine A. And I am using a connections file with the proper login info.

Again, I have created scripts in the past using DW8 that do exactly the same thing and they work just fine. Just can't get the new ADDT insert/update to function.

Thanks again.
                • 5. Re: Only localhost permitted???
                  Günter Schenk Level 4
                  Hi,

I must admit I´m not familiar with this scenario, so I can´t say anything of value. However I do assume that this error happens at the "connection layer" (or is maybe related to whether DW CS3 handles this stuff differently from DW 8 ? no clue !) only and is unrelated to ADDT.

I´d suggest submitting this issue as possible bug to the ADOBE Feature Request/Bug Report - form @ http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Günter Schenk
                  • 6. Re: Only localhost permitted???
                    Level 1
                    ok.

Thanks for your help.