1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 26, 2008 10:57 AM by (shane_mosier)

Test locally or live?

mrcharis2003@yahoo.c Level 1
      Hi there.....

Just a quick question.... hope someone can help... I have searched this forum and google and still cant figure out .,......

So... I am using DWcs3 and ADDT and phpmysql....... I currently have my testing sever setup to test live on my host.... which takes a lot of time to upload every time I want to test..... even though I have high speed ... to test locally would be much faster

I have had sites that test locally before..... but not very complex sites..... with email activation....etc...

So I know already that I cant test pages that send emails locally.... (smtp stuff.... maybe you can but I dont know how......) So my sites use lots of pages and tables created with addt with dynamic list etc...

BTW..... is there a way to test email behaviors locally.... can I send emails through my testing server?..... is there a way to configure it?

So I am would like to know if I am doing the right thing by testing all my pages live.... or should I test locally......

Would I have to have the EXACT same mysql database (obviously) would all the pages I test locally work exactly the same after upload?

Anyway .... my basic question is ..... should I host locally or test live?

What is the best way....

Any help would be great....
        • 1. Re: Test locally or live?
          Level 1
          charis,

I always prefer to build my applications on the production server. This ensures a smooth transition from development to production. You can run into all sorts of problems transfering from a local dev server to a live one. Differences in hosting, MySQL, and PHP configuration can cause many issues.

If you have full control over your remote hosting environment and are able to have pretty much exactly the same local development setup as the remote hosting than there should not be problems.

However, in my case, my clients' hosting confirgurations are all over the place. MySQL versions, PHP versions, Server OS, etc are not usually the same as my local WAMP setup. It is no fun to spend a month developing an application that works perfectly, and then upload it to a live server and the have to spend another few days getting it running on the live hosting config.

You say that the files take a long time to upload when you are testing on the live server. I have not experienced this problem. Dreamweaver usually uploads my file within a few seconds and I can then test the page directy on the server. I have my sites set to automatically upload files when I save them. Make sure you are not uploading dependent file everytime you upload a file in Dreamweaver.

That's just my 2 cents.

Shane