10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2012 2:49 AM by johnlito72

Help! cant register new members anymore..

I have a site there i can register new members, made it with adobe developer toolbox and it workt, but now my webhost updated mysql to 5.0 and a can't register any more.
      What is the problem?
      I don't know much php or creation of data bases.

/Poj
        • 1. Re: Help! cant register new members anymore..
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi Per-Olof,

several of my ADDT-driven websites are running MySQL version 5 without any problems, so this can´t be the cause of your issue. When updating to version 5, did your host take over all existing tables, or is e.g. your "login_usr" table now missing, what could explain the problem ?

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Help! cant register new members anymore..
            Level 1
            Hi.
            I tested to build a new simple page with only registration on it, when i tested it a get the following message:
            Developer Details:
            E-mail couldn't be sent. Error returned: authentication failure [SMTP: Invalid response code received from server (code: 535, response: 5.7.0 Error: authentication failed: another step is needed in authentication)]. (EMAIL_FAILED)

I don't know what a should do or what is wrong.

/ Poj
            • 3. Re: Help! cant register new members anymore..
              Level 1
              Poj,

This looks like a hosting issue unrelated to ADDT. Your email server is not letting it go thru. Double check your E-mail Settings in the ADDT Control Panel. Then check with your hosting to make sure you are using the right mail server, port, etc.

Hopefully this is something you can figure out with your hosting support.

Here's some techincal info:

"If the server is unable to authenticate the client, it SHOULD reject
              the AUTH command with a 535 reply unless a more specific error code
              is appropriate."

535 5.7.8 Authentication credentials invalid

This response to the AUTH command indicates that the authentication
              failed due to invalid or insufficient authentication credentials.

Shane
              • 4. Re: Help! cant register new members anymore..
                Günter Schenk Level 4
                Please check what´s currently defined in ADDT´s Control Panel -> E-mail settings - panel -- if the remote server (what´s pretty unusual) really requires you to use the SMTP protocol, you just might have missed to define the "Mailserver" or "Port" or "Username" or "Password" settings.

But if SMTP is not required, just "tell" ADDT to use PHP´s native mail() function, and in this case all you need to define is the "Default sender", means that all other fields need to remain blank.

Works better now ?

Cheers,
                Günter Schenk
                • 5. Re: Help! cant register new members anymore..
                  Level 1
                  Hi.
                  I tried php native meil.
                  I can recive fogotten passwords now and i could register 1 new member but it faild again when a tryed to register another member. I don't get errors but i came back to registerpage and everything i wrote is there exept passwords.
                  This wored 4 mounth ago and i have not change anything..
                  • 6. Re: Help! cant register new members anymore..
                    afamijann Level 1
                    I don't get errors but i came back to registerpage and everything i wrote is there exept passwords.
                    ----------------------------------------------------

Having the same issue with the registration page. Never sends out activation or welcome emails. Just does the regular insert and either hangs or returns to the registration page without the passwords selected.

Hope someone would be able to explain what is responsible for this.
                    • 7. Re: Help! cant register new members anymore..
                      Günter Schenk Level 4
                      Hi Afam,

-------
                      Hope someone would be able to explain what is responsible for this.
                      -------

maybe this is caused by incorrect settings in the ADDT Control Panel > Email Settings section -- here´s a thread which might help you solve this problem:

http://www.interaktonline.com/Products/Dreamweaver-Extensions/MXUserLogin/Product-Forum/De tails/122409/Activation+and+Welcome+email+not+sending.html

Cheers,
                      Günter Schenk
                      • 8. Re: Help! cant register new members anymore..
                        afamijann Level 1
                        Hello Gunter,

Thanks a lot for your comment.

The problem is now sorted and it was due to limited understanding of the email setting and where to use what.

At the end of the day it all boiled down to leaving out the username and password fields while retaining the localhost (in my case) and the default port number of 25.

Again, the frustration was mainly due to the fact that I didn't know that the email functionality would not work while using localhost on the local machine as against a web hosting server because the same settings that returned errors all the time were used when I tested the application online and everything was just ok.

Thanks once again for the advice, it really helped.
                        • 9. Re: Help! cant register new members anymore..
                          johnlito72 Level 1

Hello,
                          I would like to enable the mail () function because we changed server and SMTP does not work in sivit.fr.
                          From your description it is possible with ADDT but I can not find the option in the Control Panel.
                          Can you tell me how to use the mail () function with developer toolbox?
                          I find no explanation:http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/9.0_ADDT/help.html?content=MXK3_052170_MailServerS ettings.htm
                          Thank you very much for your help
                          Cordially
                          John

----------------------------------------------------

Bonjour,

J’aimerai activer la fonction mail() car nous avons changé de serveur et SMTP ne fonctionne pas chez sivit.fr.

D'après votre description c'est possible avec ADDT mais je ne trouve pas l'option dans le panneau de configuration.

Pouvez-vous me dire comment faire pour utiliser la fonction mail() avec developer toolbox ?

Je ne trouve aucune explication sur : http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/9.0_ADDT/help.html?content=MXK3_052170_MailServerS ettings.htm

Merci beaucoup pour votre aide

Cordialement

John

• 10. Re: Help! cant register new members anymore..
                            johnlito72 Level 1

FYI
                            indicate only the email sender is considered by the script (ADDT - Interakt) it must call the mail () function rather than using SMTP.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Pour info,

Ne renseigner que l'email de l'expéditeur est considérer par le script (ADDT - interakt) qu’il doit appeler la fonction mail() plutôt que d’utiliser le SMTP.