2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2008 10:59 AM by (John_Groh)

Export XML then Import into Flash?

Hi all,

I have a project that uses a Flash file on the homepage (swf) that pulls some information from a XML file. Basically, it is a customer list and just dynamic text, and I used a modified slideshow from Kirupa.com to make that work. Now the customer wants to be able to edit that themselves via the admin section I built with ADDT.

I came across a tutorial here but it didnt work. So, I created a list page, and a form page for them to input information into the mysql db, and now I want that to automatically create an XML file and then be able to use that in Flash. I used the export XML from ADDT on the insert and it kind of worked, but it asked me where to save the file and that wont work for the client.

Is there any way to set something like this up so once they input names into the database that it will automatically update? I am having no luck with this.

Thanks
      John
        • 1. Re: Export XML then Import into Flash?
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi John,

-------
          Is there any way to set something like this up so once they input names into the database that it will automatically update?
          -------

the very PHP file which contains the Export XML behaviour can usually be used as XML data source for whatever 3rd party application, as it´s supposed to instantly output all recordsets resulting from a query like "SELECT * from customer_table" as array of XML root/child elements -- means that everytime your Flash file requests (aka loads) this PHP file, the database table will get queried anew.

I´m a little confused about some things:

-------
          I used the export XML from ADDT on the insert and it kind of worked
          ------

what do you mean with "on the insert" ?

-------
          but it asked me where to save the file and that wont work for the client
          -------

the PHP file will of course have to be stored somewhere on the server in order to connect to the database and to retrieve the records, so what exactly doesn´t work for your client ?

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Export XML then Import into Flash?
            Level 1
            Hello Gunter,

Thank you for replying to my cry for help. As with another issue I had recently, I ended up figuring it out after I posted my initial thread.

What happened is that I had an insert form for the client to use to input in new data to the db. I placed the export as XML SB on that same page, so when it went to insert into the db, it then exported a file as well. This is what didnt work as it asked me where to save the file. The client wont have access to the hosting account so they can save it to the correct place.

So what I did was made a page with a recordset then applied the export as XML server behavior. Then in my flash file I used this page as the source for the XML information and viola! It worked. So simple but I would have never thought of it on my own...I found a tutorial on creativecow.com that did something similar and that showed me what to do.

Again, many thanks for your help.
            John