2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2008 9:54 PM by 921creative

Session Variables

921creative Level 1
      I'm trying to understand this and it's probably very simple...

I want to show a page with information that is specific to both 1) the user who is logged in and 2) the group to which he belongs.

I know that I can use kt_login_id as a session variable for the user's information. Can I, on the same page at the same time, use another session variable for the group information? Where do I register this variable and do I simply set it within a new recordset?

Thanks for any clarification you can give me!
        • 1. Re: Session Variables
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi,

-------
          Where do I register this variable
          -------

I´d define a new global session variable in ADDT´s Control panel and name it, say, "user_group" -- like all other default session variables it will be available whereevr you need it.

-------
          Can I, on the same page at the same time, use another session variable for the group information?
          -------

Let´s assume you´d like to display a certain page segment to a user who´s logged in *and* has the "user_group" session value of 2:

1. wrap this segment in a "Show IF Conditional Region" behaviour which checks if ADDT´s default session variable "kt_login_id" is set

2. switch to Code View and append a second condition which checks the "user_group" session value, e.g. $_SESSION['user_group'] == "2"

In order to make this a combined condition, you´ll need to concatenate both individual conditions with "&&", what should read like this:

if (isset($_SESSION['kt_login_id']) && $_SESSION['user_group'] == "2")

Works ?

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Session Variables
            921creative Level 1
            Günter,
            This solution works great if each user only belongs to one group. However, each user could potentially belong to any number of different groups, each with different IDs. What I need is for the group page being displayed to only show content for the group that the user wants to view based on a link he clicks on a page of his groups. Therefore, the user_group session variable would be different depending on which group he clicks. I can obviously create a recordset on the group page that says group_id = kt_user_group (session variable). However, on the list of the user's groups, I need to somehow make the group names link to the group page with the correct session variable loaded. How would I do that? Does this make sense? I don't want to use a URL parameter to display the group page because I don't want users to be able to jump to any group that they're not a member of.