3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2008 10:15 AM by (Carlene)

Tutorial Announcement :: Correct and Secure Registration Form ::

Waleed Barakat Level 1

User Authentication:

Hi, if you decided to integrate a User Authentication system within one of your websites, you must connect with MySQL database, so your database structure for the "Registration" table where registered members information stored in.

This particular table fileds should correspond with the options you selected while configuring the registration options in the ADDT control panel.

Build user registration:

When you decide to implement a user authentication [The process of protecting a web site by requiring a user to enter an authorized ID and password before entering the site system for your site], the first step to take is to create a way for users to create accounts. This is the user registration process, which usually contains an insert transaction [is a group of SQL statements whose effects are logically connected].

Anything from simple queries to inserting, and deleting operations can be considered a transaction, as well as more complex groups of several statements which accomplish a specific task. (to add the user data into a table) together with some checks to make sure the user name is not taken, and that the confirmed password matches the entered passwords. ADDT User Login gives you the possibility of doing all of these actions in a single place, with the User Registration Wizard.

:: Go To Tutorials ::

__
      Best Regards
      Waleed Barakat
      Developer-Online Creator and programmer
      http://www.developer-online.com
        • 1. Re: Tutorial Announcement :: Correct and Secure Registration Form ::
          Hello! I am implementing this very user registration system onto my site from ADDT. That works beautifully - and everything is connecting with my database. If I build a recordset I can even display the logged-in User's account information. HOWEVER, I am now trying to implement the Update Record feature of ADDT so that these very users can change their password or their email address or update their information that is in the database - and it doesn't work at all. The password field is not being updated.

Can anyone help with this????

Once again - I have successfully implemented ADDT's user registration and log-in system on my site, but the Update Record, to change the user's information will not work.
          • 2. Re: Tutorial Announcement :: Correct and Secure Registration Form ::
            Waleed Barakat Level 1
            Hi Carlene

----------
            but the Update Record, to change the user's information will not work.
            -----------

to achieve that go to the users area and create a new page named "update_information.php" or what ever you prefer.

apply the basic update form wizard to the page by selecting > server behavior > adobe developer toolbox > forms > update record form wizard

1- select the required fields like: database name | table name "where the users information stored in".
            2- select which fields you want the user to update "User name | Password | Email address etc...
            3- in the primary field value equal to "URL Parameter" the "tbl_id" change it to be "SESSION VALE" & in the value textbox add this value -- kt_login_id

click the next button to continue
            in the validation rules select the desired fields you wish to become required.
            Click the Finish button to end the wizard.

now you have a user update information page restricted only to registered users in your website.
            don`t forgot to apply the "restrict access to page" over the page to make sure it`s protected.

you can read more about this issue by visiting my full tutorial about:
            :: Building Membership System ::

__
            Best Regards
            Waleed Barakat
            Developer-Online Creator and programmer
            http://www.developer-online.com
            • 3. Re: Tutorial Announcement :: Correct and Secure Registration Form ::
              Level 1
              Waleed,

You rock the house! Thanks so much for that tip. I knew I was close. It's just too bad the documentation for the Developer's Toolkit doesn't include anything about that.

I'm going to read your tutorial now.

Cheers!

Carlene