15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2009 6:49 PM by dizmarkie

Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.

dizmarkie Level 1
      OK,
      I have permissions set to 777 on my upload folder, thumbnail folder, i also created "Temp" folders in the include/lib/file_upload directory and 777'd those.

the weird thing is.. I get the error converting image error but when i refresh the page, the image shows up! I just can't hand a client a tool that will always error on the first attempt and tell then they just have to refresh everytime.

In the error I receive it says "The "" folder has no write permissions."
      Why is the upload directory not in the quotations? why is it empty, shouldn't it say "upload" if that was the folder I designated? perhaps this will be a clue to someone that can point out the obvious to me? HELP!

thanks guys
        • 1. Re: Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi Kevin,

-------
          i also created "Temp" folders in the include/lib/file_upload directory and 777'd those
          -------

you usually don´t need to create such a "Temp" folder at all, because whenever ADDT creates a thumbnail from an existing image on your server, it will (if not already created) attempt to create a "thumbnail" subdirectory within the directory where the original image file sits, and store the thumbnail in here.

------
          In the error I receive it says "The "" folder has no write permissions."
          ------

ADDT has an extra configuration file named "KT_config.inc.php" located in the "includes/common" directory -- in here you should see two variables named "$KT_file_mode" and "$KT_folder_mode". Are these variables declared at all, and if so, what values do they have currently ?

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.
            dizmarkie Level 1
            Hi Gunter, the funny thing is they are both set to 777 and my error message does not show the folder in the quotes. it is just "" instead of "upload" which resides at the root of my site.

I get errors but if I refresh page sometimes, or if I click elsewhere and go back to the page the error will disappear.

Its all over the place and have no idea how to make solid.
            • 3. Re: Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.
              dizmarkie Level 1
              Hi Gunter, any clues? i get image upload errors when i try to upload but if i try 2 or 3 times it finally goes through in the form but then on another page where i use create thumbnail behaviour it says "cannot create thumbnail".

if i refresh the page a bunch of times it then shows as if everythign worked fine.

I can't hand the site to a client and tell them, 'people just need to refresh a bunch of times" , lol.

anyone else have this issues? could it be the php.ini settings?

all my permissions (including the config file are 777) I have 777'd pretty much every directory which i know is a total security risk, i am just trying to narrow the issue down.

what could cause these symptoms?
              • 4. Re: Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.
                Günter Schenk Level 4
                Hi Kevin,

I really have no clue why this happens.

--------
                if i refresh the page a bunch of times it then shows as if everythign worked fine.
                --------

the question is: has the image been uploaded after refreshing the page several times ?

------
                anyone else have this issues?
                ------

I´ve never had this issue myself, and I can´t recall this ever been posted to the ADDT and former Interakt forums.

Cheers,
                Günter Schenk
                • 5. Re: Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.
                  dizmarkie Level 1
                  Hey Gunter, thanks for the reply.

I was thinking maybe the calls and triggers are not in the right order?
                  maybe some of the latter ones cache and after I refresh A few times they are in the cache and then fire off in thew right order (eventually)
                  somethign along these lines. just seems things are triggering as they should first time around.

When i get the error, i check on the server and see the thumbmail isn't there but if i refresh the browser until it works, the thumbmnail is there! on the server!

So.. do you have a page or sample code I could refer to ? to see the order of the calls and triggers?
                  I'm also on a linux with php5, mysql 5 btw. I have access to plesk to control the domain.
                  • 6. Re: Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.
                    Günter Schenk Level 4
                    Hi Kevin,

regretfully I can´t provide a sample page or some code, but if you´re...

-----
                    thinking maybe the calls and triggers are not in the right order?
                    -----

... you should try changing the order to see if it makes a difference or not.

I don´t know if you do localhost development prior to uploading your work to your client´s server, but if you do, does it work here ?

Cheers,
                    Günter Schenk
                    • 7. Re: Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.
                      dizmarkie Level 1
                      I don't test locally. I pretty much upload everything and have my testing server defined to the remote host.

I'll try some different combinations.
                      Thanks none the less for your response. I see how much you help out others and incase they haven't said thanks, "THANK YOU" Gunter.

It is appreciated.

If I figure out i will be sure to post solution,
                      Kevin
                      • 8. Re: Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.
                        Günter Schenk Level 4
                        Hi Kevin,

thanks for your kind words :-)

However, you might want to consider setting up a local testing server and develop stuff here first. When working for (one or multiple) customers I always found this a truly advantageous approach for several reasons:

1. your local server can be configured to become an "ideal" development environment which e.g. matches the ADDT "system specification", and in case your locally working application does break on a remote server, you have something to compare against.

2. you´ll sooner or later learn how to tweak certain php.ini settings yourself respectively which php.ini directive will improve the performance of certain ADDT "behaviours" (e.g. multiple image upload or thumbnail creation, which all depend on a variety of settings to really perform well), and this knowledge/experience will definitely help you when contacting the remote server admins and ask them to change a certain php.ini setting on your (or your customer´s) behalf.

3. by first developing & testing locally you minimize the risk to deliver possibly deficient work.

In case you´d like to set up a local Apache/PHP/MySQL etc server, I can nothing but recommend XAMPP: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Cheers,
                        Günter Schenk
                        • 9. Re: Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.
                          dizmarkie Level 1
                          Gunter! You are a lifesaver. I just finished installing XAMPP, I cannot beleive how easy it was! even running without issue on Vista ultimate!

I have tried so many times in the past to get all these up and running but always had issues and never configured it properly.

You certainly were correct about having the most compatible of testing enviornments when developing. I migrated my DB's localy and all my files to the localhost and everything works perfectly.

So.. I will scour through my local ini settings and then get my remote linux to reflect the same and hopefully that will clear up this weird "only work when i refresh page" issue.

I can't beleive I didn't know about XAMPP, lol. I'm in love

THANKS!
                          • 10. Re: Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.
                            Günter Schenk Level 4
                            Hi Kevin,

------
                            I migrated my DB's localy and all my files to the localhost and everything works perfectly.
                            ------

see, in case your customer should complain, you can now even resort to a valid and confirmable excuse: "it´s all your server ! " ;-)

I´ve really never understood the widely spread legend that deploying one´s work directly to a remote server had any advantages (except than being faster) over localhost development. I would only dare circumventing local development if...

1. I know the remote server´s specs well enough and may exercise control over all the settings -- most shared hostings out there don´t grant you much influence capability

2. if it´s my personal website and not belonging to a customer

Considering all those "PHP versions and configurations" differences on shared hosting servers I´ve experienced over the years when doing stuff for customers, it´s to be expected that things might break. In case of trouble the localhost development has always been a crucial "fallback position" just because I can - if necessary - circumstantiate that my work is technically correct.

Cheers,
                            Günter Schenk
                            • 11. Re: Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.
                              dizmarkie Level 1
                              I Think I found the issue.
                              Hey Gunter, just posting to help others that way have this headache and problem.

Since my app worked fine on my local I decided to upload to a windows server that I had access to and test on that, opposed to the linux server where I was having the problems.

I found that both windows enviornments (local and remote) worked but I had the buggy upload issues with Linux as you can see above. So this means its something with the PHP set up, right?

SO.. i went through the php info pages on all enviornments and did a bit of testing and found in the php.ini on the linux server that "upload_tmp_dir" was set to "no value" where it was set to "C:WINDOWS/Temp" on my windows enviornments. This explains why the temp files are running into errors on first upload and cannot create thumbnails unless i refresh repeatdly (almost forcing the session through).

I setup read only permissions on my local and tested the pages and I got errors left right and centre. In earlier posted I got permissions errors about "" not having write permissions. It did not show my directory in the "" quotes which I thought was weird BUT it may be refering to the temp directory on the server and since it shows "no value" in my php.ini, maybe that is the directory the error is refering to? Not my "/upload" directory.

I am going to ask My host to unable a /tmp directory on the linux and see what they say, I can't believe this isn't more common for people out there.

I'll keep you posted until I have it 100% on the linux and not just windows.
                              • 12. Re: Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.
                                mrcharis2003@yahoo.c Level 1
                                Hi there Kevin

I am having the same problem

Error converting image (create thumbnail).

I have not figured out how to get it to work at all

I have a dynamic list that I would like to have a thumb pic of the products on the list

I have tried to use the show thumbnail behavior using the recordset that is created when you make a dynamic list and I have made a new recordset and both return the same error

I have a field for the main pic of my product I know that it is uploading the full size image ok but when I try to use that same field to show thumnail I get the same error

Error converting image (create thumbnail). folder has no write permissions........

I have the same error in the past and I was told a good work around..... good as in it works but bad as in you should not have to do it and it is a hassle

Here it is

Instead of creating a thumbnail just create another duplicate image the same size as a thumnail

So in my add product form I have two fields for the main product picture one... the main big pic that resizes the image to 600 pix wide and another the thumbnail pic that resizes the image to 150 pix wide

And when you want to show a thumbnail just choose the smaller image size filed

I a real hassle but it does work

if you can figure out how to get it all to work the way it should.... please post your results will save me a lot of extra work

Have a great day
                                • 13. Re: Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.
                                  dizmarkie Level 1
                                  thanks Charis,
                                  I have it working on my server perfect now. It seems to be the php.ini settings as suspected on my post above. I am not a php guru and a designer more then anything so not sure if there is a way to use custom php.ini settings at runtime for a domain? if there is.. then having toolbox users set a path for their temp files in their domain would probably fix this issue.
                                  • 14. Re: Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.
                                    mrcharis2003@yahoo.c Level 1
                                    Hi there thanks for the Very fast response

What server do you have it running on? I am using linux

i read all the posts in this thread and I set the permissions on all the folders and the "KT_config.inc.php" located in the "includes/common" directory "$KT_file_mode" and "$KT_folder_mode".

i have set all the folders to 777 and I still can't get it to work
                                    .... even if I refresh a hundred times... i know .... i tried....

You are right about xamp... it is great I was using wamp but examp is much better because you can test emails with it ..

Anyway thanks again

Any more advice would be great ....
                                    have a great day
                                    • 15. Re: Error converting image (create thumbnail). The "" folder has no write permissions.
                                      dizmarkie Level 1
                                      hey charis,
                                      ya permission on those folders are not the answer. it seems to be a setting in your php.ini which is in the install of the php on the server itself.

there is a temp directory setting which I have set on the remote windows machine i am currently using and it works perfect. if you are testing locally try to change your setting in php.ini

there is a setting for "upload_tmp_dir" . when i was getting my errors my site was on a linux and this value had no directory set. which is why i think when addt spits the errors out and does not define a specific directory... i think it is because it cannot create the file on the fly properly since it needs a temp upload directoy for php to do its thing.

I set my temp directoy on my local to "C:WINDOWS/Temp" and this was set on a remote windows machine i have access to and all my thumbnails generate each and evertime with out issue.

remeber to restart apache on your local machine after you edit your php.ini

by chance, when you get these errros and you rapidly refresh the page.. does it eventually work? or does it fail everytime.. try rapidly refreshing.. this was a symptom i experienced.

good luck!