7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2008 1:29 PM by (Juergen_Helmers)

Multiple File Upload - getting closer...

Hi!

After fighting for days and days with the multiple file upload behavior, I did some testing outside my Linux box.

1. Testing on Linux as a web browsing client (FireFox with Flash 9 for Linux installed) I do get the following window when clicking the upload link:

http://home.arcor.de/helmerj/php/screen_ff.png

2. Run the same page in InternetExplorer 6.0 (run under wine emulating winxp) I get the the following window:

http://home.arcor.de/helmerj/php/screen_ie.png

Some main differences:

The upload does work using InternetExplorer simply because it does show me the input box of type file and the browse button where I can browse to a file and then click upload. When being in FireFox under Linux I don't see the file selection box and no browse button. So I alays clciked the upload button which results in a firefox file open dialog which after a close results in nothing. Werhe as under IE the direct click on the upload button results in a warning that I have to select a file first.

Is there a way to make firefox and the upload behavior play nicely together? My cliesnt has a couple of Linux Boxes so I would need the Linux support here...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Juergen
        • 1. Re: Multiple File Upload - getting closer...
          Level 1
          Hi!

I did some further testing and installed the windows version of Firefox under wine. As it turns out, the upload feature works there fine as well.

So this is a Linux problem.

Looking at the source of the file in question

includes/tng/pub/multiple_upload.php

I don't see any regular
          tag assuming, that the file browsing is implement in flash? Can this be updated so it would support Linux? Has anybody ever used this under Linux?

Cheers Juergen
          • 2. Re: Multiple File Upload - getting closer...
            Günter Schenk Level 4
            Hi Jürgen,

right now I´m looking at the browsers "minimum requirements" specifications for ADDT´s predecessor MX Kollection, which basically still apply to ADDT: it seems that they tested stuff with a variety of browsers on Win and Mac, but apparently not on Linux.

BTW, what Firefox version is installed on your client´s Linux boxes ?

-------
            I don't see any regular tag assuming, that the file browsing is implement in flash?
            -------

correct. However, please don´t update your flash player to version 10 at the moment, because Adobe decided to implement some sort of "security fix" into this version which will break ADDT´s flash-based multi-upload feature

Cheers,
            Günter Schenk
            Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
            • 3. Re: Multiple File Upload - getting closer...
              Level 1
              Hi Guenter,

I just tried the version 10 from adobe labs and it doesn't work either on Linux.

I am running Firefox 3.0.3 on the Linux boxes. The reason for failure is due to the installed flash version though.

I looked at the source inside firefox (ctrl+u) of the generated upload windows in windows and linux. The only difference is the specific php session id. All else, including the $_GET['isFlash=1'] is the same.

Is there a way to get in contact with the flash people (since this is in house now... :) ) to have this fixed, or at least looked into?

Cheers Juergen
              • 4. Re: Multiple File Upload - getting closer...
                Günter Schenk Level 4
                Hi Jürgen,

-----
                The only difference is the specific php session id
                -----

isn´t this one set when using Firefox with Linux ?

-----
                Is there a way to get in contact with the flash people (since this is in house now... ) to have this fixed, or at least looked into?
                -----

I´ve done that already ;-)

Cheers,
                Günter Schenk
                • 5. Re: Multiple File Upload - getting closer...
                  Level 1
                  Hi Guenter,,

no, it is set but it is different:

----------------

diff Desktop/multiple_upload_linux.php Desktop/multiple_upload_windows.php

29c29
                  <  'http://localhost/~helmerj/order/includes/tng/pub/multiple_upload.php?KT_Upload8=1&PHPSES SID=m6vi5nb59eca5r43bt7grel0r62ceglp&isFlash=1',
                  ---
                  > 'http://localhost/~helmerj/order/includes/tng/pub/multiple_upload.php?KT_Upload8=1&PHPSES SID=t0l6nntag1529p8ssfrsepsjhk02dq5c&isFlash=1',

----------------

Cheers Juergen
                  • 6. Re: Multiple File Upload - getting closer...
                    Günter Schenk Level 4
                    Hi Jürgen,

------
                    no, it is set but it is different
                    ------

what you´re seeing here is a randomly generated 32 char (assumingly md5) authentication hash for the standard PHPSESSID Session Cookie, which will always have different values for each session.

Cheers,
                    Günter Schenk
                    • 7. Re: Multiple File Upload - getting closer...
                      Level 1
                      Hi Guenter, <br /> <br />that's what I'd figured. What I don't understand is why that file browsing field is missing. It is not part of the flash uploader swf file. So all that makes the difference, is the presentation of this code: <br /> <br /> <?php<br />echo $muploadHelper->Execute();<br />?> <br /> <br />It is part of a conditional region. I id wonder if the region is show at all, but I inserted some plain html code in that region and it does show... <br /> <br />So I have to admit that I am at a total loss on why this is not showing... <br /> <br />Cheers Juergen