9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2008 8:23 PM by mrcharis2003@yahoo.c

Search page help.... search and filter members by yahoo messenger online status

mrcharis2003@yahoo.c Level 1
      Hi there

Hope everyone in this forum is going well

I have a difficult question ..... I can't find any info about this

This question has to do with the yahoo messenger online status smiley faces that have become soooo popular recently the usually yellow or grey smiley face that people put on their sites to show if they are online and if you clich the face it opens the yahoo chat window.....

This is a great thing for any site and easy to insert there are maaaany sites that explain how to do it it is easy....

So so far so good....

I learned how to insert the smiley face into my sites no problem.......

But then I thought I would like to add a yahoo online smiley face next to all the members profiles both on the master page list and the detail pages ......

So first I changed the new user registration form to include a field for 'yahoo id' (make sure with no @yahoo) and I added a new field to my database to store the users yahoo id.....

then I went bake to my list users page and inserted the few lines of code needed to insert the yahoo online status smiley face into a dynamic table and used the dynamic field in the bindings tab that holds the users yahoo id to fill in the users yahoo id into the code.....a

And it worked the code looped no problem and when I tested my list of members now all have a smiley face next to them and if they are signed into yahoo mesenger the face goes yellow and if I click it opens a yahoo chat window pretty cool really pleased with it ....

So...... MOST IMPORTANTLY.... the reason for this post.......

I want to be able to have a search page for my site that can search and filter through all the members of the site by age gender city country ....... and most importantly ...... BY YAHOO ONLINE STATUS

So that the search page would be the same as any chat or dating site with the usual

I am a _________
      Looking for a _________
      From ___________

But with one moe most important field or check box

'Show only members who are signed in to yahoo messenger'

so that if you check the box all the results returned would only be those members of my site that are signed in to Yahoo messenger
      (not to be confused with members who are signed in to my site)

Now I have spoken to lots of people about this and they don't really understand that I can already display whether or not my members are online
      That I can do already working great

What I want is to only display the members of my site that are online with yahoo messenger

Not members of my site that are logged in to my site

I want to be able to show what members of my site are online even if they are not logged in to my site

i would also like to use the same process with msn messenger skype etc but I have not inserted their status indicators yet

SO MY MAIN AND ONLY QUESTION IS

Is it possible to search and filter the members of my site by who is onling on yahoo messenger?

AND MORE IMPORTANTLY

How do I set it up.?

Does anyone out there know if this is possible and have any suggestions or help any help would be great

Have a great day
        • 1. Re: Search page help.... search and filter members by yahoo messenger online status
          Günter Schenk Level 4
          Hi charis,

question: how do you store the Yahoo Messenger online status, is it - as I would do it - in an extra char1 column which holds a boolean Y/N value ? If so, you could set up a filter like this:

"SELECT username FROM usertable WHERE yahoommessengeronlinestatuscolumn" equals "Y"

Cheers,
          Günter Schenk
          Adobe Community Expert, Dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: Search page help.... search and filter members by yahoo messenger online status
            Waleed Barakat Level 1
            Hi Gunter
            you are right truely, but what he want is to check whether the member logged in through his Yahoo! Messanger || Or through Yahoo! Mail login page.

then show that logged in member status (online - offile) in his own website database ??? how that`s what i am still looking for -:)
            • 3. Re: Search page help.... search and filter members by yahoo messenger online status
              Hi there

Thanks for your replies......
              I still can't figure it out..... I can't find out how yahoo returns someone's online status... using the code they supply .....and I can;t figure out if there are any changes in the code in my site when someones yahoo id is onine or not .... if there was some difference I may be able to use "show reigion if.... behavior' .... but I still not sure if that would work......

One work around the problem would be to have a field ../ checkbox on my new user upload form ...... 'Do you use yahoo messenger? yes/no'
              so that I could filter by that ..... then I could search by only thosse members who use yahoo which is ok.... but still not too good

It would only return users that use yahoo.... not users who are now online...... one step forward ..... but not enough.....

Anyway thanks for your help

Have a great day
              • 4. Re: Search page help.... search and filter members by yahoo messenger online status
                Hi there

To the best I can figure out ......

the code that yahoo in as follows

The final =2" stands for the name of the image set that yahoo uses to display online/ offline....... there are two images related to the number two ........ ( you can actually use any number from 1 to 10 they have many different images to choose from .... but all have two images one off line and one online )

So..... if yahoo already displays who is online and offline..... is it possible to filter by the name of the online image.....?

I not sure how to get the online image name because it all works online.... I not sure how to see the code yahoo returns... and to see the different image names for the two images online and offline.......

This is as far as I have got .....

Sound possible? filtering by the yahoo online image name? or show region if...... ????

Anyway have a great day
                • 5. Re: Search page help.... search and filter members by yahoo messenger online status
                  As you may have noticed the code I pasted in the last post actually started to work.... accept I did not put a yahoo id in the code..... if I had put my...yahoo id you could actually chat to me...

the link to the page with the yahoo code I used is http://ariffaizal.blogspot.com/2007/11/yahoo-messenger-online-status-in-blog.html

Takiteasy

have a great day
                  • 6. Re: Search page help.... search and filter members by yahoo messenger online status
                    Günter Schenk Level 4
                    Hi charis,

-------
                    So..... if yahoo already displays who is online and offline..... is it possible to filter by the name of the online image.....?
                    -------

I really don´t think it´s possible to filter your database for the current online/offline status the way you´d like, because...

1. it´s Yahoo that´s changing the status respectively the number respectively the status image on their servers

2. as Yahoo has no access to your database, there´s no way to have this information updated automatically

-------
                    One work around the problem would be to have a field ../ checkbox on my new user upload form ...... 'Do you use yahoo messenger? yes/no'
                    so that I could filter by that ..... then I could search by only thosse members who use yahoo which is ok.... but still not too good

It would only return users that use yahoo.... not users who are now online
                    -------

rather make it a "are you currently online with yahoo messenger? yes/no" checkbox -- and depending on the result display an online/offline image in conjunction with the user´s YAHOO_ID that´s stored in a different column

Cheers,
                    Günter Schenk
                    • 7. Re: Search page help.... search and filter members by yahoo messenger online status
                      Hi thanks for for your response

I will put some more thought into it and get it up and running asap.... hopefully...

I understand that someones online yahoo status cannot be stored in my data base....... so I make s it harder and maybe impossible to search and filter by it..... but......

You solution......

rather make it a "are you currently online with yahoo messenger? yes/no" checkbox -- and depending on the result display an online/offline image in conjunction with the user´s YAHOO_ID that´s stored in a different column.....

this i cannot really understand... do you mean that when anyone logs into my site they check a check box that says whether or not they are online.... I don't understand.... if so it would still only show only user s that are logged in to my site that have also said (at the same time they login) they are online with yahoo....... still not enough....

If yahoo displays an online status image that has a distinct name... an individual name.... a different name to the offline image name..... is it possible to...... filter .... sort... display if......

That is as far as I can get as far as filtering or sorting a recordset or showing region if..... I am not sure

But i will figure it out..... I think is a good idea and worth looking into

I really appreciate your effort to give me any advise at all regarding this ........

I just though it is a good idea and I have not seen any sites out there that offer the same search capabilities......

if I have any luck further I will post my results

have a good day ...... as always thanks a bunch and takiteasy
                      • 8. Re: Search page help.... search and filter members by yahoo messenger online status
                        Günter Schenk Level 4
                        Hi charis,

----------
                        do you mean that when anyone logs into my site they check a check box that says whether or not they are online
                        ----------

exactly

----------
                        If yahoo displays an online status image that has a distinct name... an individual name.... a different name to the offline image name..... is it possible to...... filter .... sort... display if
                        ----------

recordsets are exclusively tied to your database and can be filtered for information that´s stored in your database -- they cannot be filtered if that information is not stored in your database and gets updated/retrieved on/from a different server, as it is with Yahoo´s online status.

Cheers,
                        Günter Schenk
                        • 9. Re: Search page help.... search and filter members by yahoo messenger online status
                          Ok

thanks for your help....... now I understand a lot better....

i will have to rethink

So it cannnot be done using a recordset.... so it cannot be done with ADDT & DW

Off the subject..... of this forum.... but ... Can it be done outside of DW can it be hand coded ? anyway is ok i will still try to get it working if it is possible

Thanks again

Have a great day

Bibi