15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2009 4:05 PM by Newsgroup_User

Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion

brightbelt Level 1
      Hi,
      Having done a long, slow crawl from Frontpage 2003 to DW CS3, I finally buckled down and re-constructed the pages of my website in DW from scratch (or close to it). There's still stuff in there from FP I imagine, but I'm a lot lighter just from cleaning out old files, so it's worth it.

However, DW CS3 names pages as Html, whereas my old version had Htm pages. I'VE redone my links internally throughout my site (a pain), but what of folks who have my site bookmarked? Is there a way to get Htm urls to convert to Html on the fly?

I know I may be fishing and/or it may be way above my head. But it never hurts to ask ,so....

Many Thanks for any help, Frank B.

Here's my site>> My Site
        • 1. Re: Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion
          Level 7
          Open the new html page, save as htm, put, and now you have both html and htm
          of the same pages.

"brightbelt" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gklhtd$pvm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi,
          > Having done a long, slow crawl from Frontpage 2003 to DW CS3, I finally
          > buckled down and re-constructed the pages of my website in DW from scratch
          > (or
          > close to it). There's still stuff in there from FP I imagine, but I'm a
          > lot
          > lighter just from cleaning out old files, so it's worth it.
          >
          > However, DW CS3 names pages as Html, whereas my old version had Htm pages.
          > I'VE redone my links internally throughout my site (a pain), but what of
          > folks
          > who have my site bookmarked? Is there a way to get Htm urls to convert to
          > Html
          > on the fly?
          >
          > I know I may be fishing and/or it may be way above my head. But it never
          > hurts
          > to ask ,so....
          >
          > Many Thanks for any help, Frank B.
          >
          > Here's my site>> http://www.frankbright.com
          >

• 2. Re: Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion
            Level 7

news:gklhtd$pvm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hi,
            > Having done a long, slow crawl from Frontpage 2003 to DW CS3, I finally
            > buckled down and re-constructed the pages of my website in DW from scratch
            > (or
            > close to it). There's still stuff in there from FP I imagine, but I'm a
            > lot
            > lighter just from cleaning out old files, so it's worth it.
            >
            > However, DW CS3 names pages as Html, whereas my old version had Htm pages.
            > I'VE redone my links internally throughout my site (a pain), but what of
            > folks
            > who have my site bookmarked? Is there a way to get Htm urls to convert to
            > Html
            > on the fly?

do you mean when people visit your site? If so, 301 redirect would work. How
            you apply that will vary depending upon the webserver of your host. Is it
            using Apache or IIS?

• 3. Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion
              ksb43 Level 1
              You didn't have to change the extensions. The browser would have treated the files the same way. But since you already changed them, you can create the .htm pages and make them redirect to the .html pages:

http://www.web-source.net/html_redirect.htm

Also, if you're setting up sites in dreamweaver, you should be able to change the filename inside of the dreamweaver Files panel and it will look through your site and automatically update all of the links for you.
              • 4. Re: Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion
                Level 7
                Uhh - huh?

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                ==================

"GPaul" <gwpaul@ptd.net> wrote in message
                news:gkli3h$qbp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Open the new html page, save as htm, put, and now you have both html and
                > htm of the same pages.
                >
                >
                > "brightbelt" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                > news:gklhtd$pvm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> Hi,
                >> Having done a long, slow crawl from Frontpage 2003 to DW CS3, I
                >> finally
                >> buckled down and re-constructed the pages of my website in DW from
                >> scratch (or
                >> close to it). There's still stuff in there from FP I imagine, but I'm a
                >> lot
                >> lighter just from cleaning out old files, so it's worth it.
                >>
                >> However, DW CS3 names pages as Html, whereas my old version had Htm
                >> pages.
                >> I'VE redone my links internally throughout my site (a pain), but what of
                >> folks
                >> who have my site bookmarked? Is there a way to get Htm urls to convert to
                >> Html
                >> on the fly?
                >>
                >> I know I may be fishing and/or it may be way above my head. But it never
                >> hurts
                >> to ask ,so....
                >>
                >> Many Thanks for any help, Frank B.
                >>
                >> Here's my site>> http://www.frankbright.com
                >>
                >
                >

• 5. Re: Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion
                  Level 7
                  I had a site that I had redesigned. The old site was all htm. After the
                  new site was launched, doing a search one day, I discovered that the old htm
                  sites were still coming up in the search engines, but producing a "Cant be
                  found" error. So I opened the new page, saved it as the old name .htm, then
                  when the search engines returned the old pages, the new ones were brought
                  up.

"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                  news:gkljtd$ski$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Uhh - huh?
                  >
                  > --
                  > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  > Adobe Community Expert
                  > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  > ==================
                  > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  > ==================
                  >
                  >
                  > "GPaul" <gwpaul@ptd.net> wrote in message
                  > news:gkli3h$qbp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >> Open the new html page, save as htm, put, and now you have both html and
                  >> htm of the same pages.
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> "brightbelt" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  >> news:gklhtd$pvm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >>> Hi,
                  >>> Having done a long, slow crawl from Frontpage 2003 to DW CS3, I
                  >>> finally
                  >>> buckled down and re-constructed the pages of my website in DW from
                  >>> scratch (or
                  >>> close to it). There's still stuff in there from FP I imagine, but I'm a
                  >>> lot
                  >>> lighter just from cleaning out old files, so it's worth it.
                  >>>
                  >>> However, DW CS3 names pages as Html, whereas my old version had Htm
                  >>> pages.
                  >>> I'VE redone my links internally throughout my site (a pain), but what of
                  >>> folks
                  >>> who have my site bookmarked? Is there a way to get Htm urls to convert
                  >>> to Html
                  >>> on the fly?
                  >>>
                  >>> I know I may be fishing and/or it may be way above my head. But it never
                  >>> hurts
                  >>> to ask ,so....
                  >>>
                  >>> Many Thanks for any help, Frank B.
                  >>>
                  >>> Here's my site>> http://www.frankbright.com
                  >>>
                  >>
                  >>
                  >

• 6. Re: Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion
                    Level 7
                    > I discovered that the old htm sites were still coming up in the search
                    > engines, but producing a "Cant be found" error.

Certainly - that's expected.

> So I opened the new page, saved it as the old name .htm

You did this to all the pages, right?

It would be tons easier just to do an .htaccess redirect.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    ==================
                    ==================

"GPaul" <gwpaul@ptd.net> wrote in message
                    news:gklk6l$stq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >I had a site that I had redesigned. The old site was all htm. After the
                    >new site was launched, doing a search one day, I discovered that the old
                    >htm sites were still coming up in the search engines, but producing a "Cant
                    >be found" error. So I opened the new page, saved it as the old name .htm,
                    >then when the search engines returned the old pages, the new ones were
                    >brought up.
                    >
                    >
                    > "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                    > news:gkljtd$ski$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >> Uhh - huh?
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    >> Adobe Community Expert
                    >> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    >> ==================
                    >> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    >> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    >> ==================
                    >>
                    >>
                    >> "GPaul" <gwpaul@ptd.net> wrote in message
                    >> news:gkli3h$qbp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >>> Open the new html page, save as htm, put, and now you have both html and
                    >>> htm of the same pages.
                    >>>
                    >>>
                    >>> "brightbelt" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    >>> news:gklhtd$pvm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >>>> Hi,
                    >>>> Having done a long, slow crawl from Frontpage 2003 to DW CS3, I
                    >>>> finally
                    >>>> buckled down and re-constructed the pages of my website in DW from
                    >>>> scratch (or
                    >>>> close to it). There's still stuff in there from FP I imagine, but I'm a
                    >>>> lot
                    >>>> lighter just from cleaning out old files, so it's worth it.
                    >>>>
                    >>>> However, DW CS3 names pages as Html, whereas my old version had Htm
                    >>>> pages.
                    >>>> I'VE redone my links internally throughout my site (a pain), but what
                    >>>> of folks
                    >>>> who have my site bookmarked? Is there a way to get Htm urls to convert
                    >>>> to Html
                    >>>> on the fly?
                    >>>>
                    >>>> I know I may be fishing and/or it may be way above my head. But it
                    >>>> never hurts
                    >>>> to ask ,so....
                    >>>>
                    >>>> Many Thanks for any help, Frank B.
                    >>>>
                    >>>> Here's my site>> http://www.frankbright.com
                    >>>>
                    >>>
                    >>>
                    >>
                    >
                    >

• 7. Re: Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion
                      brightbelt Level 1
                      Many Thanks for helping to all you guys....

I could of course save every page twice (htm and html) but that adds tons of bulk to my website which I'd rather not have. (It's a possibility, though...?)

It's precisely the Search engines etc which concern me about all this. (I know that both Htm and Html are acceptable; I want to try to follow DW's method.)

Murray, how does one do an .htaccess redirect ??

Many Thanks, Frank B.
                      • 8. Re: Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion
                        Level 7
                        (It's a possibility, though...?)

Not one that you'd realistically consider. You would have just doubled your
                        work for nothing.

> Murray, how does one do an .htaccess redirect ??

First, you have to be hosted on a *.nix server. Are you?

Then you google ".htaccess" and read about how to do a redirect of *.htm to
                        *.html.

If you are on Windows, the only way I know to do it would be to use a
                        commercial app called "ISAPI-Rewrite".

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        ==================
                        ==================

news:gklrmc$9a9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Many Thanks for helping to all you guys....
                        >
                        > I could of course save every page twice (htm and html) but that adds tons
                        > of
                        > bulk to my website which I'd rather not have. (It's a possibility,
                        > though...?)
                        >
                        > It's precisely the Search engines etc which concern me about all this. (I
                        > know
                        > that both Htm and Html are acceptable; I want to try to follow DW's
                        > method.)
                        >
                        > Murray, how does one do an .htaccess redirect ??
                        >
                        > Many Thanks, Frank B.
                        >

• 9. Re: Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion
                          brightbelt Level 1
                          Thanks Murray for following through. I'm pretty certain I'm on a windows server/plan with my host company.

Yes, I've already googled it, and first, I need to check with my host to see if they actually allow .htaccess.... From there, I can't tell for sure but it looks complex at best.

But a commercial App...maybe they make it easy?? I hope so!!
                          Thanks, Frank B.
                          • 10. Re: Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion
                            Level 7
                            On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 02:16:03 +0000 (UTC), "brightbelt"
                            <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Thanks Murray for following through. I'm pretty certain I'm on a windows
                            >server/plan with my host company.

You are on a Windows server. However, the fact that DW saves pages as
                            .html is simply because that is the default. You can configure it to save
                            them as .htm in your preferences. Rather than all the redirects and such,
                            I'd simply close all the files, rename them in the files panel and allow
                            DW to update your links. Then I'd change the preferences to save as .htm.

Gary
                            • 11. Re: Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion
                              brightbelt Level 1
                              Thanks Gary for the saner, wiser choice. It'd be one thing if I were extremely web savvy and could tackle the redirect stuff in a timely manner.

As it is, it's a lot less time spent just to do what you've suggested. In fact, I've already started and it shouldn't take too long since my site isn't that huge.

Many Thanks,...Frank B.
                              • 12. Re: Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion
                                Level 7

news:gkm1vk$h5b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > (It's a possibility, though...?)
                                >
                                > Not one that you'd realistically consider. You would have just doubled
                                > your work for nothing.
                                >
                                >> Murray, how does one do an .htaccess redirect ??
                                >
                                > First, you have to be hosted on a *.nix server. Are you?
                                >
                                > Then you google ".htaccess" and read about how to do a redirect of *.htm
                                > to *.html.
                                >
                                > If you are on Windows, the only way I know to do it would be to use a
                                > commercial app called "ISAPI-Rewrite".

If you're on IIS and have access to the IIS Admin app, you can set up 301
                                redirects in the properties of the "old page".

• 13. Re: Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion
                                  Level 7
                                  You don't often have such access to the host files, though.

--
                                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                  Adobe Community Expert
                                  ==================
                                  ==================

"Hunter Elliott" <nospam@gatewaycity.com> wrote in message
                                  news:gkngon$hd5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  >
                                  > "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                                  > news:gkm1vk$h5b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  >> (It's a possibility, though...?)
                                  >>
                                  >> Not one that you'd realistically consider. You would have just doubled
                                  >> your work for nothing.
                                  >>
                                  >>> Murray, how does one do an .htaccess redirect ??
                                  >>
                                  >> First, you have to be hosted on a *.nix server. Are you?
                                  >>
                                  >> Then you google ".htaccess" and read about how to do a redirect of *.htm
                                  >> to *.html.
                                  >>
                                  >> If you are on Windows, the only way I know to do it would be to use a
                                  >> commercial app called "ISAPI-Rewrite".
                                  >
                                  > If you're on IIS and have access to the IIS Admin app, you can set up 301
                                  > redirects in the properties of the "old page".
                                  >

• 14. Re: Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion
                                    Level 7

news:gknl34$n1q$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > You don't often have such access to the host files, though.
                                    >

True, but since we host everything in-house where I work, I do :)

• 15. Re: Htm to Html conversion - bookmark confusion
                                      Level 7
                                      On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 06:43:17 +0000 (UTC), "brightbelt"
                                      <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Thanks Gary for the saner, wiser choice. It'd be one thing if I were extremely
                                      >web savvy and could tackle the redirect stuff in a timely manner.
                                      >
                                      > As it is, it's a lot less time spent just to do what you've suggested. In
                                      >fact, I've already started and it shouldn't take too long since my site isn't
                                      >that huge.

You're welcome. I think it will be simpler for you.

Gary