Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbering and conditional text

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2009 Jan 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I have a topic with certain steps for one condition only, the numbering of the other steps gets messed up. For example, if step 3 is for condition A only, when viewing condition B, the numbering is 1, 2, 4, 5. Sometimes I can fiddle around and somehow get it to work. However, if there is a picture in step 3, and therefore I have to manually start the numbering at step 4, I can never get it to show properly.

Are there any tips for numbering and conditional text? (I am using RoboHelp 7.)

Thanks,
Jackie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 20, 2009 Jan 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your x-condition tag is probably not grabbing everything it should. Take a look at the underlying code; you might find that the list item starts with P and LI tags and ends with LI and P tags. You'll likely find that your x-condition tag is nott encompassing the entire set.

(Hint: The same is true when conditionalizing table rows.)

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2009 Jan 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I checked the tags, and they seem okay.

I am sure the problem has something to do with the fact that I had to manually set the numbers for steps 3 and 4, as they were after pictures, causing the numbering to restart at 1.

Thanks,
Jackie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the best way to handle list interruptions is not to restart the numbering manually.

Unfortunately, RH has never dealt cleanly with list interruptions; rather, it actually ends the list before the non-numbered item, retains list-item status for the non-numbered item, and starts a new list after the non-numbered item. Got all that?

The best method is to work in the code:

1. Delete the </OL> tag before the non-numbered item.

2. Remove the <LI></LI> tags from the non-numbered item.

3. Delete the <OL> tag (with the restart, if any) after the non-numbered item (where the list resumes).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2011 Jun 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leon,

I read your post about removing certain tags in order to handle list interruptions -- thanks, that is very helpful. Is there any way to prevent those tags from being inserted in the first place? For example, if I have a certain paragraph format (like a Note) that frequently appears in the middle of lists, is there something I can add to the CSS to make sure it remains a non-numbered paragraph? I know Framemaker has ways to handle this -- please tell me Robo does too! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2011 Jun 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think there is and I'm not Leon but maybe this will help.

One possible way would be a mult-level list where level 1 is numbered and level 2 is preceeded by Note. It's one of those tasks that will take a detailed read of Lists on my site and some time to set it up. Once done though I think it would work.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RH5, you can insert a picture without inserting the line breaks that force you to manually restart the numbering. Instead of pressing the Enter key on your keyboard, press Shift+Enter twice, insert your image, press Shift+Enter again to insert a blank line after your image, and then press the Enter key to generate the next step in your numbered list. Your conditional tag should work just fine when applied to your numbered step/image combo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and Chet's tip is good in RH7.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrific thanks, it worked!!!!

Howerver, the indentation of the pictures was messed up, and they are now indented too much. (Maybe because I couldnt see <LI> </LI> tags.)

I am just happy the numbering is now okay, and have manually tweaked the indentation,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only saw Chet's reply now, but that is exactly what I have done, and it is great.

How do you add bullets to a numbered list? (Numbered procedure, where some of the steps use bullets.) Any tips or tricks for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If you are talking about having a list somewhat like this:

1. something
2. something
---> * Bullet point
---> * Bullet point
3. something

Here is my approach. Make your list like this:
1. something
2. something
3. Bullet point
4. Bullet point
5. something

Then select the Bullet points and use the "Increase indent" icon in the toolbar to move the items. The list should then look like this:

1. something
2. something
---> 1. Bullet point
---> 2. Bullet point
3. something

Then just change from numbers to bullets on the indented bit.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2009 Jan 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, tried that but it didn't work. I couldnt get the numbers to change to bullets, maybe because I was using a numbering style.

If I removed the <OL> tags, as Leon suggested, and used a bullet style, the numbering was okay as long as the bullets were manually outdented. (Now the outdent is too big.) If they were outdented to fit in with the style guide, meaning the bullet should start under the text of the numbered section, the numbering of the next step started as if the bullet was numbered.

Example showing too much indentation:
1. First step
2. Second step
----------->* first bullet
----------->* second bullet
3. Third step

Example showing correct indentation but wrong numbering:
1. First step
2. Second step
--- * Ist bullet
--- * 2nd bullet
5. Third step

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 23, 2009 Jan 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gah! I wrote a reply, and the Internet swallowed it. Anyway, here's the short version: Rick's approach works. You should write all of your steps, indent as needed, and then apply bullets. My contribution to the discussion is that you don't need to use the "Increase Indent" icon; you can use the Tab key on your keyboard instead. (Before you press that key, place your cursor at the beginning of the line, or drag and highlight some text in a line, or drag and highlight across multiple lines.) It might save you a small amount of time.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2009 Jan 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, everyone.
Unfortunately this does not seem to be working, so I will just have to continue manually fixing the numbers, and duplicating the sections as needed for the conditional text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp